The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 24, 2020, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That’s not officiating. That’s coaching and directing the players. That’s not our role in the game, especially at the D1 men’s level.
I've been to a D1 camp where that was promoted. I've been to a D1 camp where we were told not to do that. I've had professional soccer refs do that, and those that are mic'd up say it as well. It's called "preventative officiating", and quite frankly if it gets their hands up or stops a stupid foul, I'm doing it unless the supervisor tells me to quit it.

As for this? I'd MSU in the moment. Doesn't mean it'd work, or that it'd prevent what happened at the end, but is anyone going to complain if we have foul here? 22 point game and we have extra free throws? I'll take that IC.

Last edited by Player989random; Fri Jan 24, 2020 at 09:48am. Reason: Spacing
Old Fri Jan 24, 2020, 02:11pm
Administrator

I am arriving late to the party and admit that I have not read in comments in the thread because I am commenting from two different perspectives.

The Kansas State at Kansas game was played just 4 days shy of the 48th anniversary of the Ohio State at Minnesota game, which was played on January 25, 1972.

First, for the newer members of the Forum, I am a native of NE Ohio and played H.S. basketball at Youngstown Liberty H.S. from 1965 to 1969, the same years that Luke Witte played at Marlington H.S, also in NE Ohio. While our schools teams paths never passed every one in NE Ohio knew who Luke was. So it was an absolute shock that a savage act by MLB Hall of Fame member Dave Winfield and a couple of his teammates would not result in criminal action. Winfield was never punished with a suspension while two of his teammates were suspended for the rest of the season by the Big 10. Witte was taken off the court on a stretcher, taken the the UM hospital with a concussion. As a first year official and a life long Buckeye fan it was disgusting.

Second, for the newer members of the Forum, I am a life long KU fan. My late mother was an East Kansas farm girl and graduated from KU in 1942. When Mark, Jr., and Andy, were first learning to talk, while Bonnie and I were trying to teach them how to say momma and poppa, my mother taught them how to say: Rock! Chalk! Jay Hawk!! KaaaayyyyUUUU!! I found the actions of the KU players equally disgusting and as much as I want to see KU win, I would have no problem with they were suspended for the rest of the season by the Big 12.

That's all.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. The rivalry between these two schools when it comes to sports is no less that between xichigan and Ohio State.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Jan 24, 2020 at 02:15pm. Reason: Added Post Script.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That’s not officiating. That’s coaching and directing the players. That’s not our role in the game, especially at the D1 men’s level.
Well, not sure what to tell you other than I respectfully disagree. At every game I have ever witnessed, played, coached, and officiated, the officials directed the players many, many times throughout the game.

Have you ever conducted a jump ball and told the players which direction they were going? Have you ever told the players how many shots there were during a FT? Have you ever advised the inbounding team where the inbound would take place? Have you ever told a player they had 5 fouls and were disqualified? Ever tell an inbounder they could run the endline? After a made basket in a lower level game, ever tell a confused player to take the ball out? How about telling a college team/inbounder, before a throw-in, how much time they have to get the ball to the FC? How about an inadvertent horn during play and telling the players to "play"? Heck, even pointing at the shot clock at under 10 seconds gives communication to players. I also find it very difficult that you have never thrown a verbal "easy" towards some players.

Those are just several of the hundreds of times that officials coach and direct players. Not sure what angle you were trying to illustrate. I'd be willing to bet that if Higgins was commanding the players to "be smart" several times as he closed near the ball handler/defender, then that melee would not have occurred.

It may not be our specific role as you say, but look at what might be indeed a large part of it: player safety. There is nothing wrong with reminding players that you are there. There is nothing wrong with assisting them in making wise decisions regarding their safety, sportsmanship, and the good of the game....especially when the game is so lopsided and seconds away from being finished.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Disagree all you want. I let the coaches handle the game play instruction. I handle the information for administration of the game, but never tell players what to do or not do during live play. That is the role of a coach not an official.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Disagree all you want. I let the coaches handle the game play instruction. I handle the information for administration of the game, but never tell players what to do or not do during live play. That is the role of a coach not an official.
Sure, that is fine. With that line of thinking, at least you won't be surprised when you experience a brouhaha, or anything of the sort.