View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 24, 2020, 02:11pm
Administrator

I am arriving late to the party and admit that I have not read in comments in the thread because I am commenting from two different perspectives.

The Kansas State at Kansas game was played just 4 days shy of the 48th anniversary of the Ohio State at Minnesota game, which was played on January 25, 1972.

First, for the newer members of the Forum, I am a native of NE Ohio and played H.S. basketball at Youngstown Liberty H.S. from 1965 to 1969, the same years that Luke Witte played at Marlington H.S, also in NE Ohio. While our schools teams paths never passed every one in NE Ohio knew who Luke was. So it was an absolute shock that a savage act by MLB Hall of Fame member Dave Winfield and a couple of his teammates would not result in criminal action. Winfield was never punished with a suspension while two of his teammates were suspended for the rest of the season by the Big 10. Witte was taken off the court on a stretcher, taken the the UM hospital with a concussion. As a first year official and a life long Buckeye fan it was disgusting.

Second, for the newer members of the Forum, I am a life long KU fan. My late mother was an East Kansas farm girl and graduated from KU in 1942. When Mark, Jr., and Andy, were first learning to talk, while Bonnie and I were trying to teach them how to say momma and poppa, my mother taught them how to say: Rock! Chalk! Jay Hawk!! KaaaayyyyUUUU!! I found the actions of the KU players equally disgusting and as much as I want to see KU win, I would have no problem with they were suspended for the rest of the season by the Big 12.

That's all.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. The rivalry between these two schools when it comes to sports is no less that between xichigan and Ohio State.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Jan 24, 2020 at 02:15pm. Reason: Added Post Script.