The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 20, 2019, 04:43pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Have a look...

ESPN2 will be showing the championship game from the 2019 NBA G League Winter Showcase on Sunday 22 Dec at 7:00PM ET.

My eldest son will be a member of the crew working this game.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2019, 05:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Genes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
... championship game from the 2019 NBA G League Winter Showcase ... My eldest son will be a member of the crew working this game.
He obviously takes after his Mom.

Hey? How about a little help with my recent post from Son #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Can someone in the know please comment on this situation in the NBA. I'm not a big NBA fan, but occasionally see "mismatched" jerseys and undershirts in NBA games on television. As a high school official, this always looks odd to me but knowing how strict the NBA is in regard to uniforms and equipment, I assume that this is legal in the NBA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
From the rule book:
H. PLAYER/TEAM CONDUCT AND DRESS
(1) Each player when introduced, prior to the game, must be uniformly dressed.
(2) Players, coaches and trainers must stand and line up in a dignified posture along the foul lines during the playing of the American and/or Canadian national anthems.
(3) Coaches and assistant coaches must wear business attire, which shall include a sport coat or suit coat in the case of male coaches.
(4) While playing, players must keep their uniform shirts tucked into their pants, and no T-shirts are allowed.
(5) The only article bearing a commercial ‘logo’ which can be worn by players is their shoes.
Quote:
Maybe these aren't undershirts? What I see are sleeves that are not quite as long a regular undershirts, and these are always skin tight. Maybe these are some type of compression shirt worn for medial reasons?
Quote:
The rule does say "T-shirts" not "undershirts". But the rule also states "while playing" ...

There have got to be a few NBA rule experts on the Forum, what's the real story?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 20, 2019 at 06:05pm.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2019, 09:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

And his eldest son's cousin is in his first year on the NBA staff.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Dec 20, 2019, 09:33pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
He obviously takes after his Mom.

Hey? How about a little help with my recent post from Son #1?
Sorry, he does not deign to trifle with the riff-raff:")
Old Sat Dec 21, 2019, 06:54am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Congrats. Glad to hear. Continued good luck and best wishes to you and your entire family!
Old Sat Dec 21, 2019, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

BillyMac

Not a basketball ref, but was involved in basketball operations and dealt with equipment/uniforms in the D(now G)-league 5 years ago.

At that time, what you show is correct in that players could not wear a shirt under their jersey, similar to you see in HS and NCAA. If they had an undershirt it had to be a tank top, and either white or black.

At some point during my 4 seasons, someone (might’ve been Anthony Davis) in the NBA hurt their shoulder and needed to wear a shirt with built in support/compression/protection. NBA said cant do it because it’s a shirt and we don’t allow it. It was later deemed a medical device and then same rules don’t apply.

Now verbiage and allowances may have changed in the past 5 seasons, just sharing what it was during my time.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2019, 09:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Medical Device ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12 View Post
... hurt their shoulder and needed to wear a shirt with built in support/compression/protection ... deemed a medical device and then same rules don’t apply ...
Makes sense. Thanks eagle_12.

Maybe legal, but still not a good look.

You would think that NBA teams paying millions of dollars to their highly visible photogenic players could afford to provide support/compression/protection undershirts that match the color of the jerseys.

On the other hand I just found out that miserly NFL teams charge their players $500.00 each time a player trades jerseys after a game with an opposing player, à la soccer (or football, as my Australian son-in-law calls it) where players have been doing this for decades.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-postgam...kip=1576938722

History: Patrick Ewing (Georgetown 1981-1985, NBA 1985-2002), a Georgetown Hoya All-American center made wearing an undershirt under a game jersey popular. Ewing stated, “I wasn’t the originator, I was just the one who made it popular. There’s [sic] a lot of people who have done it before me but the difference is in my era, that’s when TV really got big. We were always on TV. The reason why I wore it was we started playing in these big arenas and it was always cold (Ewing was born in Kingston, Jamaica), especially when you have the ice down (under the basketball court) for hockey games. I was always complaining I was cold. I started wearing one and it became a fashion statement”. In 1984 the NFHS ruled that undershirts must be similar in color to the uniform jersey.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 21, 2019 at 11:44am.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2019, 09:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Midafternoon Middle School Girls Games ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Sorry, he does not deign to trifle with the riff-raff.
Hey? Somebody has to work midafternoon middle school games? If not me, then who?

I'm in my second year of "day job retirement, chronic ankle injury" middle school games. I'm enjoying myself but there are a few "surprising" things that I miss, like the National Anthem.

A few days ago a middle school girl sang the Anthem acapella before the game from the jump ball circle. She was doing a pretty good job until she suddenly stopped and tearfully said that she forgot the next verse. I walked out to her and told her that we'd finish it together, so I started singing, "And the rockets red glare ...", and she picked it up, I backed away, and she finished it on her own, doing a nice job, hitting the high notes near the end.

Of course being an Irish-American, you realize that we all fall into two categories, those of us who are great singers, and those of us that think that we are great singers. I fall into the second category.

I'm a direct paternal descendant of Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of Tara in northwestern Ireland in the late 4th century A.D.

No, you don't have to kneel before me, just a slight bow of the head will suffice.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 21, 2019 at 11:49am.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2020, 09:16am
Courageous When Prudent

I see someone in the family made SportsCenter.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 16, 2020 at 10:03pm.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey? Somebody has to work midafternoon middle school games? If not me, then who?

I'm in my second year of "day job retirement, chronic ankle injury" middle school games. I'm enjoying myself but there are a few "surprising" things that I miss, like the National Anthem.

A few days ago a middle school girl sang the Anthem acapella before the game from the jump ball circle. She was doing a pretty good job until she suddenly stopped and tearfully said that she forgot the next verse. I walked out to her and told her that we'd finish it together, so I started singing, "And the rockets red glare ...", and she picked it up, I backed away, and she finished it on her own, doing a nice job, hitting the high notes near the end.

Of course being an Irish-American, you realize that we all fall into two categories, those of us who are great singers, and those of us that think that we are great singers. I fall into the second category.

I'm a direct paternal descendant of Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of Tara in northwestern Ireland in the late 4th century A.D.

No, you don't have to kneel before me, just a slight bow of the head will suffice.
Billy Mac your sense of humor is so awesome!
Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 01:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Doesn't Get Any Better Then This ...

Quote:
I worked a middle school game yesterday, first time at the site.

National Anthem.

Cheerleaders.

Student timer wearing a dress shirt and tie.

Cold water bottles at halftime.

Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 01:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

But You Must Still Call Me Prince BillyMac ...

Quote:
I'm a direct paternal descendant of Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of Tara in northwestern Ireland in the late 4th century A.D. No, you don't have to kneel before me, just a slight bow of the head will suffice.
Like Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, I have also decided to step away from my frontline royal duties and spend all my time here in North America.

Being a prince was exhausting work. Getting up and down from all those polo ponies. Putting on and taking off all those medals from my jackets.

The constant, loud barking of the foxhounds hurt my ears during royal fox hunts.

And I was having a tough time remembering the names of all my manservants.

I kept confusing Jeeves, Alfred, Giles, and Geoffrey.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 14, 2020 at 06:44pm.