The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 26, 2019, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

White T-shirt under Red jersey

Anyone know why a player for Dayton is wearing a white undershirt with red jersey? Dayton v. Virginia Tech
Old Tue Nov 26, 2019, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

That is not legal attire. Per Rule 1, Section 23, Article 1 of the NCAA Men's basketball rulebook, "An undershirt is considered to be part of the game jersey and must be a color similar to that of the game jersey as defined by the neutral zone." White is not similar to red, so the player cannot play while wearing a white undershirt under a red jersey.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Most NCAA officials do not care about apparel items. Probably a function of how much the individual assignor cares.
Do a search of this forum and you will find a thread from several years ago with an NCAAW player wearing a long-sleeve undershirt during NCAA tournament games. This was not legal attire back then, but the rule has since been changed.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps the player has an allergy to dyes and has an approved exception from the NCAA. I doubt we'll ever know.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, in the low-level college games I officiate the assigners expect uniform rules to be enforced.

As I once heard from an assigner, "If I can't trust you to enforce the easy stuff..."
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Most NCAA officials do not care about apparel items. Probably a function of how much the individual assignor cares.
Do a search of this forum and you will find a thread from several years ago with an NCAAW player wearing a long-sleeve undershirt during NCAA tournament games. This was not legal attire back then, but the rule has since been changed.
Long sleeves still aren't legal in the men's game. And I enforce it in the games I work.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 09:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is most definitely not true. Crews I work with are constantly correcting apparel and equipment transgressions. We talk about it every pregame. Two seasons ago I worked a D3 game in front of one of the D1 Consortium supervisors and he asked the entire crew after the game why we let one team wear tights that were not the correct color. (the shading was different than the uniforms; I'm color-blind so I didn't notice).
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 09:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Long sleeves still aren't legal in the men's game. And I enforce it in the games I work.
Yep. Enforced it my first game of the season. They used to be legal with a note from Art Hyland, but I think that exception is no longer in the rule book.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 12:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nba ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk13 View Post
Anyone know why a player for Dayton is wearing a white undershirt with red jersey?
Can someone in the know please comment on this situation in the NBA. I'm not a big NBA fan, but occasionally see "mismatched" jerseys and undershirts in NBA games on television.

As a high school official, this always looks odd to me but knowing how strict the NBA is in regard to uniforms and equipment, I assume that this is legal in the NBA.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 27, 2019 at 01:19pm.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Can someone in the know please comment on this situation in the NBA. I'm not a big NBA fan, but occasionally see "mismatched" jerseys and undershirts in NBA games on television.

As a high school official, this always looks odd to me but knowing how strict the NBA is in regard to uniforms and equipment, I assume that this is legal in the NBA.
From the rule book pdf. Very strange. Emphasis added.

H.
PLAYER/TEAM CONDUCT AND DRESS
(1)
Each player when introduced, prior to the game, must be uniformly dressed.
(2)
Players, coaches and trainers must stand and line up in a dignified posture along the foul lines during the playing of the American and/or Canadian national anthems.
(3)
Coaches and assistant coaches must wear business attire, which shall include a sport coat or suit coat in the case of male coaches.
(4)
While playing, players must keep their uniform shirts tucked into their pants, and no T-shirts are allowed.
(5)
The only article bearing a commercial ‘logo’ which can be worn by players is their shoes.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 01:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Compression Shirts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... and no T-shirts are allowed.
Thanks bob jenkins.

Maybe these aren't undershirts?

What I see are sleeves that are not quite as long a regular undershirts, and these are always skin tight.

Maybe these are some type of compression shirt worn for medial reasons?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 27, 2019 at 03:11pm.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 01:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
From the rule book pdf. Very strange. Emphasis added.

H.

PLAYER/TEAM CONDUCT AND DRESS

(4)

While playing, players must keep their uniform shirts tucked into their pants, and no T-shirts are allowed.

(5)

The only article bearing a commercial ‘logo’ which can be worn by players is their shoes.
I believe that refers to t-shirts worn over the uniforms, probably in response to controversial statements printed on t-shirts in the past.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 01:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Plot Thickens ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I believe that refers to t-shirts worn over the uniforms ...
The rule does say "T-shirts" not "undershirts".

But the rule also states "while playing", insinuating that the t-shirt could only be worn "under" the jersey while playing, otherwise the jersey (and jersey number) would be obscured.

There have got to be a few NBA rule experts on the Forum, what's the real story?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 27, 2019 at 02:03pm.