The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 03, 2020, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

3 technical fouls

A1 pushes B1 in the back during a throw-in lob pass. A1 is called for APUSH which is his fourth foul. A1 then turns and screams you have to be effing kidding me. A1 gets a technical foul which is his fifth foul. While reporting the foul to scores table A1 assistant coach goes ballistic. The assistant coach is assess a technical foul. After that is reported another assistant coach goes berserk and is assessed a technical foul.

What would be the order in which you would administer from there? Team control foul by A1 so we don't shoot those free throws. But do we shoot six shots for the three technical fouls?

Last edited by johnsonboys03; Fri Jan 03, 2020 at 10:02pm.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2020, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Why wouldn't it be six shots?

(Also you're going to be delivering some bad news to Team A's head coach.)
Old Fri Jan 03, 2020, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

I dont know why I was thinking you only shoot 1 of the consecutive Technical fouls. I was stuck on the notion that you dont "stack" those technicals or double whammy them per say. I was trying to find the administration procedure in the rule book to help our chapter complete this correctly.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBCrazy View Post
Why wouldn't it be six shots?

(Also you're going to be delivering some bad news to Team A's head coach.)
That he has lost his coaching box?
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
A1 pushes B1 in the back during a throw-in lob pass. A1 is called for APUSH which is his fourth foul. A1 then turns and screams you have to be effing kidding me. A1 gets a technical foul which is his fifth foul. While reporting the foul to scores table A1 assistant coach goes ballistic. The assistant coach is assess a technical foul. After that is reported another assistant coach goes berserk and is assessed a technical foul.

What would be the order in which you would administer from there? Team control foul by A1 so we don't shoot those free throws. But do we shoot six shots for the three technical fouls?
Yes, you shoot six shots for the three technical fouls, the head coach is assessed 2 indirect technical fouls, and he loses the privilege of using the coaching box. You administer all penalties in high school in the order of occurrence, followed by possession at the division line. At other levels, you would administer all technical foul free throws, but what you do after the free throws and the number of free throws might differ.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2020, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone. Can someone direct me to the place in the rulebook or a case play that covers this. I'd like to discuss this at tonight's chapter meeting. I dont like talking about anything without having the rule to back it up.

Thanks
Old Sun Jan 05, 2020, 08:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Can someone direct me to the place in the rulebook or a case play that covers this. I'd like to discuss this at tonight's chapter meeting. I dont like talking about anything without having the rule to back it up.

Thanks
There is nothing in the rulebook that says free throws are "not stacked" when a team gets consecutive technical fouls.

You will find that fouls are administered in the order they occur. And your chapter's rules interpreter should know this and expound on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 05, 2020, 10:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Administered In The Order In Which They Occur ...

Quote:
Can someone direct me to the place in the rulebook or a case play that covers this.
NFHS Basketball Rules Fundamentals
12. Penalties for fouls are administered in the order in which they occur.

NFHS 8-6-2: If there is a multiple throw and both a single personal and
single technical foul are involved, the tries shall be attempted in the order
in which the related fouls occurred, and if the last try is for a single
technical foul, or intentional or flagrant personal foul, the ball shall be put
in play by a throw-in.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 05, 2020, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Does the head coach now have a technical foul because of the "2" indirect techincals from the assistants? Do we actually shoot 8 FT?
Old Sun Jan 05, 2020, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Does the head coach now have a technical foul because of the "2" indirect techincals from the assistants? Do we actually shoot 8 FT?
The head coach has two (2) indirect technical fouls toward his maximum of three (3) toward ejection. Any further technical foul on him or bench personnel results in his ejection.

And he's lost his box.

Why would we shoot 8 FTs?
Old Sun Jan 05, 2020, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

3 technical fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post

2 indirect technicals ≠ a regular technical foul that must be penalized as such.

Indirect technical fouls are simply a reflection on the head coach based on incidences of misconduct by his/her bench personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk