The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 technical fouls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104895-3-technical-fouls.html)

johnsonboys03 Fri Jan 03, 2020 09:58pm

3 technical fouls

A1 pushes B1 in the back during a throw-in lob pass. A1 is called for APUSH which is his fourth foul. A1 then turns and screams you have to be effing kidding me. A1 gets a technical foul which is his fifth foul. While reporting the foul to scores table A1 assistant coach goes ballistic. The assistant coach is assess a technical foul. After that is reported another assistant coach goes berserk and is assessed a technical foul.

What would be the order in which you would administer from there? Team control foul by A1 so we don't shoot those free throws. But do we shoot six shots for the three technical fouls?

JamesBCrazy Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:42pm

Why wouldn't it be six shots?

(Also you're going to be delivering some bad news to Team A's head coach.)

johnsonboys03 Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:49pm

I dont know why I was thinking you only shoot 1 of the consecutive Technical fouls. I was stuck on the notion that you dont "stack" those technicals or double whammy them per say. I was trying to find the administration procedure in the rule book to help our chapter complete this correctly.

Nevadaref Sat Jan 04, 2020 04:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesBCrazy (Post 1036475)
Why wouldn't it be six shots?

(Also you're going to be delivering some bad news to Team A's head coach.)

That he has lost his coaching box?

ilyazhito Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 (Post 1036473)
A1 pushes B1 in the back during a throw-in lob pass. A1 is called for APUSH which is his fourth foul. A1 then turns and screams you have to be effing kidding me. A1 gets a technical foul which is his fifth foul. While reporting the foul to scores table A1 assistant coach goes ballistic. The assistant coach is assess a technical foul. After that is reported another assistant coach goes berserk and is assessed a technical foul.

What would be the order in which you would administer from there? Team control foul by A1 so we don't shoot those free throws. But do we shoot six shots for the three technical fouls?

Yes, you shoot six shots for the three technical fouls, the head coach is assessed 2 indirect technical fouls, and he loses the privilege of using the coaching box. You administer all penalties in high school in the order of occurrence, followed by possession at the division line. At other levels, you would administer all technical foul free throws, but what you do after the free throws and the number of free throws might differ.

johnsonboys03 Sun Jan 05, 2020 01:13am

Thanks everyone. Can someone direct me to the place in the rulebook or a case play that covers this. I'd like to discuss this at tonight's chapter meeting. I dont like talking about anything without having the rule to back it up.

Thanks

Raymond Sun Jan 05, 2020 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 (Post 1036504)
Thanks everyone. Can someone direct me to the place in the rulebook or a case play that covers this. I'd like to discuss this at tonight's chapter meeting. I dont like talking about anything without having the rule to back it up.

Thanks

There is nothing in the rulebook that says free throws are "not stacked" when a team gets consecutive technical fouls.

You will find that fouls are administered in the order they occur. And your chapter's rules interpreter should know this and expound on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06am

Administered In The Order In Which They Occur ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 (Post 1036504)
Can someone direct me to the place in the rulebook or a case play that covers this.

NFHS Basketball Rules Fundamentals
12. Penalties for fouls are administered in the order in which they occur.

NFHS 8-6-2: If there is a multiple throw and both a single personal and
single technical foul are involved, the tries shall be attempted in the order
in which the related fouls occurred, and if the last try is for a single
technical foul, or intentional or flagrant personal foul, the ball shall be put
in play by a throw-in.

rbruno Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:53pm

Does the head coach now have a technical foul because of the "2" indirect techincals from the assistants? Do we actually shoot 8 FT?

SC Official Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1036523)
Does the head coach now have a technical foul because of the "2" indirect techincals from the assistants? Do we actually shoot 8 FT?

The head coach has two (2) indirect technical fouls toward his maximum of three (3) toward ejection. Any further technical foul on him or bench personnel results in his ejection.

And he's lost his box.

Why would we shoot 8 FTs?

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 05, 2020 01:09pm

3 technical fouls

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1036523)

2 indirect technicals ≠ a regular technical foul that must be penalized as such.

Indirect technical fouls are simply a reflection on the head coach based on incidences of misconduct by his/her bench personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk