The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 03, 2020, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When Do They Travel ???

A5 and A6 simultaneously come down with a rebound, both holding the ball, with all four feet stationary on the floor.

While both are holding the ball, what can they legally do without traveling?

1) A5 and A6 simultaneously come down with a rebound, both holding the ball, with all four feet stationary on the floor?

2) A5 and A6 simultaneously come down with a rebound, both holding the ball. A5 keeps both feet stationary, and A6 sets a pivot foot that remains stationary while moving the other nonpivot foot?

3) A5 and A6 simultaneously come down with a rebound, both holding the ball. A6 keeps both feet stationary, and A5 sets a pivot foot that remains stationary while moving the other nonpivot foot?

4) A5 and A6 simultaneously come down with a rebound, both holding the ball. A5 sets a pivot foot that remains stationary while moving the other nonpivot foot while A6 simultaneously sets a pivot foot that remains stationary while moving the other nonpivot foot (e.g., both set pivot feet and both move the nonpivot feet)?

If any of these are travel violations, citations please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 03, 2020, 07:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Each player is allowed their own pivot foot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 03, 2020, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
citations please.
4.42.4B (last year's book)
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 09:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To Bob and Ray ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Each player is allowed their own pivot foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
4.42.4B (last year's book)
Thanks guys. I agree, but had a partner, coach, and some fans who thought otherwise.

4.44.2 SITUATION B: Airborne A1 and A2 jointly grab the rebound and each alights simultaneously on both feet. A1 and A2 each move one foot in attempting to wrestle the ball from each other before realizing they are teammates. A1 lets go and A2 dribbles away. RULING: Legal. There has been no violation as neither A1 or A2 moved their pivot foot while they were in joint control.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Thanks guys. I agree, but had a partner, coach, and some fans who thought otherwise.
For the coach and fans -- it's a somewhat pervasive myth. Maybe it was the rule at some point in some code -- I certainly heard the myth more frequently 20 years ago than I do now.

For the partner -- no excuse.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 10:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Diamonds Are Forever (Shirley Bassey, 1971) ...

Quote:
I think that the large diamond stud that he was wearing in his ear was interfering with his brain.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 04, 2020 at 11:16am.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 11:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
For the coach and fans -- it's a somewhat pervasive myth. Maybe it was the rule at some point in some code -- I certainly heard the myth more frequently 20 years ago than I do now.

I used to hear it all the time playing pickup ball, but I never heard it once as an official.

I'm pretty sure it was my very first year in officiating that I learned it was not a travel and I was surprised by that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

In true BillyMac mode, let's change the scenario slightly.

Two airborne teammates jointly control the ball on a rebound, and each alights simultaneously on both feet. A1 and A2 each move one foot in attempting to wrestle the ball from each other; A2 then moves his/her pivot foot.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
In true BillyMac mode, let's change the scenario slightly.

Two airborne teammates jointly control the ball on a rebound, and each alights simultaneously on both feet. A1 and A2 each move one foot in attempting to wrestle the ball from each other; A2 then moves his/her pivot foot.
If by "moves his/her pivot foot" you mean A2 lifts his/her pivot foot and returns it to the floor all while both are still holding the ball, you then have a travel....if either travel, it is a travel.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, a lesson for the young 'uns, as BillyMac would say.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 01:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Twist And Shout (The Beatles,. 1964) ...

Did somebody invoke my name?

Quote:
In true BillyMac mode, let's change the scenario slightly ... A1 and A2 each move one foot in attempting to wrestle the ball from each other; A2 then moves his/her pivot foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If by "moves his/her pivot foot" you mean A2 lifts his/her pivot foot and returns it to the floor all while both are still holding the ball, you then have a travel....if either travel, it is a travel.
Quote:
Yes, a lesson for the young 'uns, as BillyMac would say.
Camron is correct where he describes A2 as "lift(ing) his/her pivot foot and return(ing) it to the floor". 100% illegal.

For the yong'uns, just lifting the pivot foot alone is not enough to make this illegal. A2 can lift the pivot foot and legally pass, shoot, request a timeout (or leave the pivot foot in the air until the end of the period). Of course, under these circumstances, A2 may not start a dribble since he's already lifted his pivot foot.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 04, 2020 at 01:33pm.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 01:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's True, It's True ...

Quote:
... if either travel, it is a travel.
If both travel, but not simultaneously, it's the extremely rare, probably mythological (or extinct), oft discussed over a few adult beverages around a roaring campfire, possibly never actually observed, false double travel. Penalize in order of occurrence, throwin at the point of interruption.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 04, 2020 at 01:33pm.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

That is not possible. If one player travels, then the play becomes dead from that point. No violations can occur while the ball is dead.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
That is not possible. If one player travels, then the play becomes dead from that point. No violations can occur while the ball is dead.
Someone missed the attempt at humor.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 07:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Notorious Double Travel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Quote:
Someone missed the attempt at humor.
If both A-5 and A-6 lift and put back down their pivot feet simultaneously, it's a double travel violation and both A-5 and A-6 are credited with one half of one turnover in the scorebook. Throwin at the point of interruption. It's true. It's true.