The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Travel or not?

Is it a travel if you slide, say after you catch a pass or stop your dribble and your momentem along with maybe a slick floor or bad traction on your shoes? I was working a NJB high school game last week and my partner called traveling a few times on those type situations and during a time-out our assigner that was watching the game called us over and said to let those go.
One player though did it 3 times and once he must have slid 3 or 4 feet. Also how bout when someone goes to the floor with the ball. If he rolls over is that traveling? What should you be looking for there? What if a player with the ball feet slides right out below him and he lands butt first on the floor. Is that traveling?
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz
Is it a travel if you slide, say after you catch a pass or stop your dribble and your momentem along with maybe a slick floor or bad traction on your shoes? I was working a NJB high school game last week and my partner called traveling a few times on those type situations and during a time-out our assigner that was watching the game called us over and said to let those go.
One player though did it 3 times and once he must have slid 3 or 4 feet.
Yep, it's traveling, but listen to your assigner or look for a new job.

Quote:
Also how bout when someone goes to the floor with the ball. If he rolls over is that traveling?
Yep, this is traveling, the player can not roll over with the ball on the floor.

Quote:
What if a player with the ball feet slides right out below him and he lands butt first on the floor. Is that traveling?
Yep, this is also traveling.

Get a rule book & look this up so it is reinforced for you.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One player though did it 3 times and once he must have slid 3 or 4 feet. Also how bout when someone goes to the floor with the ball. If he rolls over is that traveling? What should you be looking for there? What if a player with the ball feet slides right out below him and he lands butt first on the floor. Is that traveling?
While standing with the basketball one foot must remain stationary as a pivot. It is possible one foot could be slid but then the other has to be then considered the pivot. From that position the pivot may be lifted to pass or shoot but the ball must be released before the pivot foot touches the floor.

Rolling over is an automatic traveling violation.

A player holding the ball may not touch the floor with a knee or other body part other than hand or foot. 4-44-5a
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

I have worked in a lot of places where the floor is slick and needs to be swept. The biggest indicator of this is that players will slide when they try to stop after running. And since a player diving for the ball may slide due to his momentum without it being called a travel, I have a difficult time justifying calling a standing player for doing the same thing.

IMO, get the floor swept between quarters, and then go back to calling it strictly.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
Rolling over is an automatic traveling violation.
No, it's not. Rolling over while sliding is legal if it is part of the sliding motion after gaining control. Rolling over after the slide ends is an automatic traveling violation.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Also how bout when someone goes to the floor with the ball. If he rolls over is that traveling? What should you be looking for there?
If a player with control of the ball goes to the floor, it is traveling as soon as any part of the player's body except for their hand or foot hits the floor. NFHS rule 4-44-5(a).

You look to see when the player has control--i.e. holding the ball. If the player gains control before hitting the floor, it is a travel as soon as they hit the floor. If they gain control after they hit the floor, they can finish the natural movements of the motion that they were in when they gained control--i.e. sliding, rolling. Reading case book plays 4.44.5SitA,B, C & D will be helpful.