The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Jump ball picked up by jumper

NFHS Rules. Ohio varsity girls game.

Team A and Team B lined up for jump ball to start game. R tosses ball. Jumpers for each team jump and touch ball. Ball comes down, hits floor within the restraining circle and is picked up by jumper for Team A. R blows whistle and awards throw-in at division line to Team B, possession arrow to Team A.

1) Should R have blown whistle or let play continue?
2) Does it make a difference if ball hit the floor within the restraining circle or outside of it after being touched by the jumpers before one of the jumpers can pick it up?
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 12:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jump Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetoy71 View Post
NFHS Rules. Team A and Team B lined up for jump ball to start game. R tosses ball. Jumpers for each team jump and touch ball. Ball comes down, hits floor within the restraining circle and is picked up by jumper for Team A. R blows whistle and awards throw-in at division line to Team B, possession arrow to Team A.

2) Does it make a difference if ball hit the floor within the restraining circle or outside of it after being touched by the jumpers before one of the jumpers can pick it up?
1) Let play continue.
2) No difference.

6-3-8: The jump ball and the restrictions ... end when the
touched ball contacts one of the eight nonjumpers, an official, the floor, a
basket or backboard.

No more jump balls, and shut up Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 11, 2019 at 12:45pm.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Once the ball touches the floor, the restrictions end.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Team A and Team B lined up for jump ball to start game. R tosses ball. Jumpers for each team jump and touch ball. Ball comes down, hits floor within the restraining circle and is picked up by jumper for Team A. R blows whistle and awards throw-in at division line to Team B, possession arrow to Team A.

Hint, based on your post / thread title: The Jump Ball was NOT picked up by the jumper.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No violation, because once the ball hits the floor after being contacted by the jumpers, jump ball restrictions end.

It makes no difference whether the ball contacts the floor inside or outside the restraining circle. Once jump ball restrictions end, the restraining circle has no significance.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Hint, based on your post / thread title: The Jump Ball was NOT picked up by the jumper.
Sorry, I'm not sure I follow.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not sure I follow.
Are you an official? (serious question).

Was this still a jump ball? Check the definitions.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 06:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
1) Let play continue.
2) No difference.

6-3-8: The jump ball and the restrictions ... end when the
touched ball contacts one of the eight nonjumpers, an official, the floor, a
basket or backboard.

What did I do?

You nailed it Billy.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Are you an official? (serious question).

Was this still a jump ball? Check the definitions.
Bob makes a great point here. Too many people don't know their definitions. Knowing your definitions can make your game a lot easier. For one, when you are able to use a defintion to answer a coach, it will most likely end the conversation as they don't know the rules. This "play" has nothing to do with your officiating judgement. It is simply a rule that wasn't known when it happened.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 12:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Certain Coach, It's Rule Four In The Book ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
... when you are able to use a definition to answer a coach, it will most likely end the conversation as they don't know the rules.
Especially if you throw in a rule number, and if your'e not sure, just say, "Rule four", and you'll be right 80% of the time.

Most coaches think that there are a hundred basketball rules, and will be surprised and impressed that you know each rule by number, which will dumbfound them, and immediately shut them up, at least long enough for you to move away from them.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If we got rid of the possession arrow, and went back to jump balls the way God intended, then the refs would know these rules!
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 02:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ancient Times ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
If we got rid of the possession arrow, and went back to jump balls the way God intended, then the refs would know these rules!
Agree.

Back in ancient times every official knew all the permutations of the jump ball rules, before the toss, after the toss, jumpers, nonjumpers on the circle, non jumpers off the circle, backwards, forwards, inside out, and upside down. Officials had to know these jump ball restrictions because in a some games you could have dozens of jump balls, in three different jump ball circles, in addition to the jump ball to start the game, each period, and any overtime.

Officials, players, and coaches all knew the jump ball rules, some coaches even had different jump ball plays for each of the three jump ball circles depending on whether one expected to win or lose the jump ball.

Now that we average 1.02 jump balls per game, many officials (players and coaches) don't know the rules as well as we knew them back in ancient times.

The alternating possession arrow was invented by some genius for a good reason, so let's get rid of all jump balls, give the ball to the visitors to start the game, and use the possession arrow for the rest of the game, including overtimes.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. only wants to keep jump balls because he actually gave the idea for jump balls to his best friend, Jimmy Naismith, back 1891. It's true. It's true.

Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The alternating possession arrow was invented by some genius for a good reason, so let's get rid of all jump balls, give the ball to the visitors to start the game, and use the possession arrow for the rest of the game, including overtimes.
So far as I know, its the only playground rule ever broadly adopted. Perhaps we should go all the way with the playground rules, and have a player from one team shoot for the ball from the top of the key. And then when there is the first held ball, whichever team calls "first" first, gets the first alternating possession . . .
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 03:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Get Me Off This High Horse Also ...

Quote:
... let's get rid of all jump balls, give the ball to the visitors to start the game, and use the possession arrow for the rest of the game, including overtimes.
Quote:
So far as I know, its the only playground rule ever broadly adopted ...
Could somebody please help me down from my soap box. It's very high and I'm not quite as steady as I used to be. And I'm starting to get dizzy.

Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Amen. Abolish the AP arrow, and do jump balls throughout the game. NFHS and NCAA managed fine for so many years without the alternating possession arrow,and the NBA still uses jump balls for all cases of disputed possession.