The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 02:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
It's embarrassing, but not an embarrassment.
But this is!
First qtr with 9:23 remaining
Lakers at Utah Jazz

Lebron commits a ridiculous traveling violation with the Trail official having a clear view of the action.

Someone will post the video, several will agree with me that the NBA officiating is embarrassingly poor, and someone will post how great they are and that people who don’t work at that level can’t criticize.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 03:57am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
But this is!
First qtr with 9:23 remaining
Lakers at Utah Jazz

Lebron commits a ridiculous traveling violation with the Trail official having a clear view of the action.

Someone will post the video, several will agree with me that the NBA officiating is embarrassingly poor, and someone will post how great they are and that people who don’t work at that level can’t criticize.
It is not an issue of greatness or poorness. The issue is that this is one play in a game that can be missed by a varsity official. How many times does someone come here and post a horrible misapplication of a rule or a play? So forgive me for rolling my eyes a little bit at the hyperbole about the NBA as if they are alone in doing silly stuff. I post videos all the time about plays and situations that are very embarrassing and the NBA is not the level the plays came from. And officials are looking right at those plays and still do not call obvious travels, call blocking calls on players that did nothing wrong or apply a rule that does not exist or comes from another level. This was bad for sure, but let us be real sometimes. They make mistakes too because they are human.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 04:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,659
There is a significant difference which you are failing to note. The officials at the NBA level are professionals. Officiating those contests is their primary job and how they earn a living. That is not the case at the HS level and for the majority of the NCAA officials.

Therefore, I believe that it is fair to expect much more from the people working the NBA games. They shouldn’t be making the same errors as JV high school officials.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 05:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NBA officiating is embarrassingly poor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
There is a significant difference which you are failing to note. The officials at the NBA level are professionals. Officiating those contests is their primary job and how they earn a living. That is not the case at the HS level and for the majority of the NCAA officials.

Therefore, I believe that it is fair to expect much more from the people working the NBA games. They shouldn’t be making the same errors as JV high school officials.
LMAO. So because they are professionals it's the end of the world to make a mistake on a once-in-a-lifetime play. A play that most people, including the guy who dunked the ball, missed on initial viewing.

You've made it clear in your posting history that you enjoy playing "gotcha" with officials at higher levels.

Not sure what axe you have to grind but I guess my question is, why aren't you at that level? If the officiating is so poor you should have no problem getting hired to help them clean up their mess.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 10:37am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,682
Ridiculous ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Lebron commits a ridiculous traveling violation with the Trail official having a clear view of the action.


LeBron's explanation:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...AEe?li=BBnba9I
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 06, 2019 at 10:41am.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 10:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,270
Shouldn't happen -- but it does, to all of us. We look away form "no action" to see what might be coming up -- is someone coming to set a screen, is there off-ball activity that we can help with, etc. Then, something happens and than fans go "oooh"
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 11:43am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,682
Brain Hiccup ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Shouldn't happen -- but it does, to all of us. We look away form "no action" to see what might be coming up -- is someone coming to set a screen, is there off-ball activity that we can help with, etc. Then, something happens and than fans go "oooh"
Two or three times in forty years I've had unguarded ball handlers hold the ball and look for an open man to pass to for a such a long, long time that I said to myself, "Wait? Did he already end his dribble or hasn't he started a dribble yet?", and hope that the ball handler knew the answer more accurately than me.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 06, 2019 at 12:03pm.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 03:07pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Lebron commits a ridiculous traveling violation with the Trail official having a clear view of the action.
Any referee with Pro training will tell you we rarely watch the ball being dribbled up the court with no pressure. We have game clock, shot clock, incoming screens, cutting players -- so much more off-ball stuff to watch.

But sure, ignore everything else so you can get this travel in your games. You'll end up missing more overall.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 08, 2019, 01:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,007
Apparently the official was officiating the defense
__________________
If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 09, 2019, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 721
Protest denied, despite NBA finding that referees mis-applied the coaching challenge rule.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...edium=referral
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 11:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 253
"While agreeing that the referees misapplied the rules, Commissioner Silver determined that the Rockets had sufficient time to overcome the error during the remainder of the fourth quarter and two subsequent overtime periods and thus the extraordinary remedy of granting a game protest was not warranted."

Yes, an embarrassment!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,659
So the officials missed the fact that a goal was scored by the ball passing through the basket, which many people understand given the odd nature of the action, but what cannot be defended is then kicking the coach’s challenge rule which would have allowed them to fix this mistake. There is no excuse for not knowing the rules at the level that one officiates.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 02:09pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So the officials missed the fact that a goal was scored by the ball passing through the basket, which many people understand given the odd nature of the action, but what cannot be defended is then kicking the coach’s challenge rule which would have allowed them to fix this mistake. There is no excuse for not knowing the rules at the level that one officiates.
For which they are being disciplined.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So the officials missed the fact that a goal was scored by the ball passing through the basket, which many people understand given the odd nature of the action, but what cannot be defended is then kicking the coach’s challenge rule which would have allowed them to fix this mistake. There is no excuse for not knowing the rules at the level that one officiates.
You really think this was an issue of not knowing the rule? Seriously? Not knowing the rule? Not the fact that they might not have felt the ball went through the basket at all? The fact that Harden chased the ball like he did not believe the basket was good either?

Again, like said, this is a once in a lifetime situation. Rarely do you ever see a basket not go through the basket-like this, let alone wrap around and come out upwards.

Yes it was a mistake. I will debate that there is no excuse either as many things looked funny that you do not see in games. And the fact an official acts like this is a common occurrence or that this is something that can happen on a regular basis is kind of laughable.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You really think this was an issue of not knowing the rule? Seriously? Not knowing the rule? Not the fact that they might not have felt the ball went through the basket at all? The fact that Harden chased the ball like he did not believe the basket was good either?
I think you missed a piece there. The rule knowledge issue isn't about the basket scoring, but about the application of the coach challenge and what could be challenged and when. Unfortunately, the article doesn't explain much about the actual rule and where the mistake was in denying the coach challenge. I'd really like to hear the full story and full reasoning.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MLB Protest bigda65 Baseball 1 Wed Aug 03, 2016 09:32am
SHOULD I PROTEST llcoolredd Basketball 11 Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:15am
Protest ??? kssa Softball 15 Sun Jul 29, 2001 08:10am
I Protest - Maybe not Steve M Softball 3 Sun Jun 24, 2001 09:01am
Protest? oppool Softball 26 Tue May 01, 2001 08:17pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1