The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Never in person, but I've seen video where the defender slaps the left side of the backboard on a right side layup, obviously intentional, technical foul charged, but the official still can't score the basket if the ball doesn't go in.

This is the crux of the matter. There isn’t corresponding language in the NFHS definition of BI that allows for awarding a goal like there is in NCAA. If you award BI in high school in this situation, you’re flat-out kicking a rule. This is what I have a hard time convincing some of my peers of. I don’t like the rule as is (I think we should adopt the NCAA BI rule), but to purposely kick a rule because I don’t like it? That’s not in my DNA.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go speak with the rules committee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 04:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Awarded Goal ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
There isn’t corresponding language in the NFHS definition of BI that allows for awarding a goal like there is in NCAA.
You're absolutely 100% correct, there is not any such language in NFHS rules to award a goal under a slap, or strike, or vibrate situation.

Rules paraphrased below:

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, outside the imaginary cylinder above the ring, and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up immediately after it contacts the backboard, and in this situation it is legal for a defender to touch the ball if it is not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping or striking the backboard is neither basket interference, nor is it goaltending, and points cannot be awarded. A player who intentionally or deliberately slaps or strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot, and accidentally or incidentally slaps the backboard, regardless how much it causes the backboard to shake or vibrate, it is neither a violation, nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 04:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do As I Say, Not As I Do ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I broke my habit of saying "basket good" or "score the basket" because of a D1 elevator pointing it out to me.
So exactly what have you been encouraged to say?

As I'm signaling to the table in my high school games I say, "Count the hoop". I know now that it's unprofessional and improper terminology, but I've been doing it for forty years, nobody has ever criticized me for it, and with just a few years left to go on the court, mostly "working" afternoon middle school games due to a chronic injury, I'm not about to change, though I will point out to young'uns that I'm wrong, and that they should start out doing it the correct way.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 04:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

I say "score the goal"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Dec 05, 2019, 04:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Young'uns Pay Attention ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I say "score the goal"
Certainly sounds both professional and proper.