The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Freshman

I coached 8th grade boys this past spring....Club Team for a local AAU Program. We strictly played local tournaments and without sounding like an @ss....we were not an overly talented team...but my kids worked hard for me and they all got better.

Got texts from parents last night that several of the kids made their HS Freshman teams!

I have 3 of the schools that 4 of the kids play for on my Freshman officiating schedule this year!

#NoFavoritism
#RefTheGame
#CallItBothWays
Old Thu Nov 14, 2019, 05:05am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs up

I coached my son and his buds for many yrs until they got too old and moved to the "next level."

It was very satisfying for me when one night, several yrs later, I was at the Captain's meeting for a VB game and two of the players came up, shook my hand, smiled, and said, "What's up Mr. G?"

Enjoy it, congrats, and good luck!
Old Thu Nov 14, 2019, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I coached my son and his buds for many yrs until they got too old and moved to the "next level."

It was very satisfying for me when one night, several yrs later, I was at the Captain's meeting for a VB game and two of the players came up, shook my hand, smiled, and said, "What's up Mr. G?"

Enjoy it, congrats, and good luck!

Very cool! That's the best part of it, watching the kids get better and have success...I always said my role as Coach was to help them get to the next level...so, rec league to travel teams, travel teams to middle school, middle school to HS...

My younger daughter who is a Senior in HS this year (doesn't play hoops anymore)...I'm watching kids I worked with in her class sign NLOI this week and it's really cool. One girl is headed to Oregon and very well may win Indiana Ms. Basketball this year....she very well could be National Player of the Year as well. I worked with her back in elementary school and had her fill in (as a 4th grader) on my 6th grade team I was coaching at the time and she was the best player on the floor those few games she filled in. Unreal talent...and that entire recruiting class that is headed to Oregon is SOLID! They will be a lot of fun to watch in the next 2-3 years.