The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 03:54pm
Stubborn Member

Backcourt Violation Editorial Change

The language doesn't clear up the issue that was discussed so much last season.

Situation: With Team A in the frontcourt, a pass from A1 is deflected by B1 in the air towards the backcourt. Does a player for Team A have to let the ball bounce in the backcourt before legally touching the ball?

I was hoping this editorial change would clear that up, but in the Ohio state rules meeting, we're told to call it the exact same way as last year. That doesn't help, either.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

Situation: With Team A in the frontcourt, a pass from A1 is deflected by B1 in the air towards the backcourt. Does a player for Team A have to let the ball bounce in the backcourt before legally touching the ball?

I was hoping this editorial change would clear that up, but in the Ohio state rules meeting, we're told to call it the exact same way as last year. That doesn't help, either.
1) No. That's the change. It's clear in the NFHS powerpoint

2) That depends on whether OH followed the rule last year. If not, then there won't be a change.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 04:31pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1) No. That's the change. It's clear in the NFHS powerpoint

2) That depends on whether OH followed the rule last year. If not, then there won't be a change.
Thanks. I finally got around to watching the state rules meeting online, and it wasn't made clear there at all. But I figured that's what it was alluding to.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 04:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And The Hits Just Keep On Coming ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's clear in the NFHS powerpoint.
Of course, it depends on who was explaining the PowerPoint.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 04:56pm
This IS My Social Life

If you really want to delve into depths of the somewhat twisted logic and reasoning behind the original debacle that caused it all and a correct understanding of the NFHS attempt at clarity all the way up to the expanded EXCEPTION stated in this year's rules book under 9-9-1, here's a tutorial that explains it in detail. Watch from the :56 second mark to 3:29 minute mark. Includes videos to illustrate what's legal. Not updated to accomodate the new phraseology in the new rules book because that really didn't add anything to what is legal anyway.

Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, the NFHS tends to mess things up then fumble through making the correction as they don't want to admit that they messed it up to begin with.

The interpretation that led to the rule "change" last year was bogus to begin with and everyone knew it.

All they had to do was redact the interpretation, but they couldn't do that. Would make too much sense.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Yeah, the NFHS tends to mess things up then fumble through making the correction as they don't want to admit that they messed it up to begin with.

The interpretation that led to the rule "change" last year was bogus to begin with and everyone knew it.

All they had to do was redact the interpretation, but they couldn't do that. Would make too much sense.
When you get a woman to admit that she was wrong, let me know!
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The language doesn't clear up the issue that was discussed so much last season.

Do you get a copy of the NFHS preseason guide? That document explains it very clearly and with pictures.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2019, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Do you get a copy of the NFHS preseason guide? That document explains it very clearly and with pictures.
Unfortunately, we didnt, or at least I didnt and havent seen anyone at our locals, get the preseason guide this year in our packet.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2019, 09:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Unfortunately, we didnt, or at least I didnt and havent seen anyone at our locals, get the preseason guide this year in our packet.

The OhioHSAA did not include it in this year's packet. Another cutback while charging us an arm and a leg to register.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio