The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Not surprisingly, most of the high school officials I deal with who get hung up on every detail of the Manual are not good play-callers or game managers.
Bingo. Also, NBA officials go tableside on shooting fouls.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 04:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not surprisingly, most of the high school officials I deal with who get hung up on every detail of the Manual are not good play-callers or game managers.
They are hung up on terminology that even if you use a term that is not "perfect" they will ask you, "What is a secondary defender?" I swear the FB pages are the most annoying example of this kind of thinking.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They are hung up on terminology that even if you use a term that is not "perfect" they will ask you, "What is a secondary defender?" I swear the FB pages are the most annoying example of this kind of thinking.

Peace
And the term "secondary defender" made it to the Manual a few years ago.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 05:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well, you cannot tell it to some people, because last season there were people asking what that was and saying it was not in the manual.

Maybe a better description would be when we talk about a player "gathering the ball." You get people here, "Where is that in the rulebook?" I am just glad I do not work with many of those people.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Best Of The Best ...

Quote:
Being good play-callers or game managers and having good mechanics do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Some have the whole package and can do it all.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For those of us in IAABO boards, this term was also added to the IAABO manual this year.

SCOfficial, to your point, I strive to be a good playcaller and game manager as well as someone well-versed in the rules and mechanics.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Being good play-callers or game managers and having good mechanics do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I never said they were mutually exclusive.

My point was that all these “purists” get so hung up on being technical that they don’t even bother trying to improve in the things that actually matter.

Also, following the Manual to a T doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with good mechanics. The Manual still says we’re supposed to give a prelim on every foul. Who the hell teaches or actually does this in real life? And some of the most by-the-book officials I know have the worst-looking mechanics. You can tell they’ve never seen themselves on film or practiced in a mirror.

I would take a partner any day who is sharp, crisp, and can manage a game but may occasionally use an “unapproved” yet more descriptive signal to the table (which is another issue with the NFHS altogether) over a pedantic, overly technical partner who doesn’t have much to offer other than book knowledge and telling people when they do something that isn’t 100% by the book.

Last edited by SC Official; Mon Oct 07, 2019 at 10:09pm.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
SCOfficial, to your point, I strive to be a good playcaller and game manager as well as someone well-versed in the rules and mechanics.
Being well-versed is different than being pedantic. Officials who only care about what the book says and don’t talk about the more important things are rarely officials I am impressed by or want to work with.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, you cannot tell it to some people, because last season there were people asking what that was and saying it was not in the manual.

Maybe a better description would be when we talk about a player "gathering the ball." You get people here, "Where is that in the rulebook?" I am just glad I do not work with many of those people.

Peace
Some officials need every single thing spelled out for them.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 10:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Also, following the Manual to a T doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with good mechanics. The Manual still says we’re supposed to give a prelim on every foul. Who the hell teaches or actually does this in real life? And some of the most by-the-book officials I know have the worst-looking mechanics. You can tell they’ve never seen themselves on film or practiced in a mirror.
Funny you say that. It is what we are supposed to do at by those that run the state, but I rarely see officials do it to a tee. I also agree, that those might have decent signals, but cannot rotate properly or call in their area or give good secondary help.

Quote:
I would take a partner any day who is sharp, crisp, and can manage a game but may occasionally use an “unapproved” yet more descriptive signal to the table (which is another issue with the NFHS altogether) over a pedantic, overly technical partner who doesn’t have much to offer other than book knowledge and telling people when they do something that isn’t 100% by the book.
This explains most college officials I know. Sorry to those but I love working with guys with solid college experience because of that very fact. They might not be perfect, but they understand the game.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 08, 2019, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Funny you say that. It is what we are supposed to do at by those that run the state, but I rarely see officials do it to a tee. I also agree, that those might have decent signals, but cannot rotate properly or call in their area or give good secondary help.

This explains most college officials I know. Sorry to those but I love working with guys with solid college experience because of that very fact. They might not be perfect, but they understand the game.
The only thing that bothers me is when I'm in a high school pregame with a college official (and I am one of those) and he wants to talk about college stuff, be it rules or just bragging about himself. All that does is confuse non-college officials and makes it feel like you are big-timing. Thankfully this does not happen too much.

Once we get out on the floor, I don't really care if you use a signal that isn't in the back of the book. I care if you get plays right, are a good partner, apply the correct rules and switches, communicate well, handle business, and manage the game.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2019, 08:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Thanks for the compliment.

I pride myself on doing it all, adding in rule book knowledge as well. Rules and mechanics competency are completely under the control of each individual referee.

I started off being a good play-caller and have gotten better by listening to those who have been successful in this profession. Game manager has a few aspects to it (controlling players/dead ball officiating/common sense decision making/fruitful communication with coaches). I'm still working on improving my communications styles w/coaches. I'm still learning in regards to that aspect.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Oct 08, 2019 at 10:10am.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2019, 09:14am
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Some officials need every single thing spelled out for them.
Many times these are same officials who don’t take responsibility for their calls and performance,.. They blame their instructors and others by saying you said and yea but!
Old Tue Oct 08, 2019, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Many times these are same officials who don’t take responsibility for their calls and performance,.. They blame their instructors and others by saying you said and yea but!
I've unfortunately worked with many a high school official who doesn't care about anything other than what the books say.

On the flip side, I can't stand officials with a too-good "I'm not a rules guy" mentality, no matter what level they work. A lot of college officials have piss-poor rules knowledge but get away with it by looking pretty and getting their partners to bail them out.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2019, 03:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Read Them The Riot Act ...

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me is when I'm in a high school pregame with a college official and he wants to talk about college stuff ... just bragging about himself ... are big-timing ...
Saw this a lot a generation ago, don't see it very often with the younger guys, somebody most have straightened them out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)