The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Proposed NCAA Rule Changes

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ens-basketball

I can understand moving the line back, but I don't think it's going to solve the problem of the 3-point shot becoming "too prevalent". Kids will just learn to shoot further. We might as well just make it an NBA length if we want to go back to dribble drive jump shots. Or expand the lane if you really want to open up the floor.

The only one I dislike is giving coaches the ability to call live-ball timeouts in the last 2-minutes of the game. I preferred not having to try and hear the coach scream time out in a key situation.

Review GT/BI; we all knew that was coming after the LSU vs. Kentucky game.

Indifferent about the shot clock and Flagrant II proposal.
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Since no call was made in the Kentucky/LSU game, this rule change would not have helped that situation.

“The committee recommended that during the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime, instant replay review can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made.”
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Since no call was made in the Kentucky/LSU game, this rule change would not have helped that situation.

“The committee recommended that during the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime, instant replay review can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made.”
Sure it would have helped.

It will have the effect of changing the behavior the same way replay has changed the behavior for football officials in relation to fumbles.

In football, unless it is blatantly clear, they assume the player was NOT down and let the play run its course knowing they can go back and fix it on replay.

With BI/GT, the change in behavior will be to call it if it close and depend on review to get it right.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Sure it would have helped.

It will have the effect of changing the behavior the same way replay has changed the behavior for football officials in relation to fumbles.

In football, unless it is blatantly clear, they assume the player was NOT down and let the play run its course knowing they can go back and fix it on replay.

With BI/GT, the change in behavior will be to call it if it close and depend on review to get it right.
And if determined that the call was incorrect, the result will be an IW and resume play with the arrow. I'm surprised that the coaches are fine with that.

With regards to the F2, I'd be interested to learn what "language" falls under that rule. But, I don't think the moderators want that debate on here.

Giving coaches live-ball TO capability in the last 2:00 is stupid. Either let them have it the whole game or not at all. Oh well, they write the rules.

Last edited by SC Official; Tue May 14, 2019 at 06:46am.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

I know a lot of people are upset they're staying with halves over quarters, but I actually prefer halves. A couple years ago when there were rumblings that the NFHS was going to switch to halves, I was a proponent.

The NCAA-W bonus rule is something that a lot of people like and something I wouldn't mind seeing in NFHS/NCAA-M, but at the end of the say what problem would that solve? I guess it's still possible we could see the NFHS release that as a rule change anytime now, but I won't hold my breath.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 08:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

Giving coaches live-ball TO capability in the last 2:00 is stupid. Either let them have it the whole game or not at all. Oh well, they write the rules.

It's not stupid. The coaches put a lot of stock into the last 2 minutes and OT. I'm surprised they didn't write this into the rule when it was originally changed.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It's not stupid. The coaches put a lot of stock into the last 2 minutes and OT. I'm surprised they didn't write this into the rule when it was originally changed.
If they want the control, then why not give it to themselves (since they make the rules) the entire game?
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 08:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If they want the control, then why not give it to themselves (since they make the rules) the entire game?
Because the last 2 minutes of the game is not the same as the rest of the game. I actually listen when coaches speak at clinics and camps. They ALWAYS talk about how much more important getting plays right at the end of the game is compared to the rest of the game. This falls right in line with that philosophy. As I alluded to in another thread, coaches put a lot more stock into end of game situations. It's always going to be that way, no matter how much officials rail on about all calls and all situations being equal.

The coaches make the rules. They are letting us know what is important.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Because the last 2 minutes of the game is not the same as the rest of the game. I actually listen when coaches speak at clinics and camps. They ALWAYS talk about how much more important getting plays right at the end of the game is compared to the rest of the game. This falls right in line with that philosophy. As I alluded to in another thread, coaches put a lot more stock into end of game situations. It's always going to be that way, no matter how much officials rail on about all calls and all situations being equal.

The coaches make the rules. They are letting us know what is important.
I'm sorry, but is it written somewhere that I have to agree with/like a rule change because it's "important" to the coaches?

I wasn't a fan of the live-ball TO rule change a few years ago, and I'm not a fan of this change. Clearly you don't mind it, which is fine, but it doesn't make you morally superior or a better official for agreeing with the coaches on a rule change. People are allowed to dislike things.

Last edited by SC Official; Tue May 14, 2019 at 02:54pm.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 03:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'm sorry, but is it written somewhere that I have to agree with/like a rule change because it's "important" to the coaches?

I wasn't a fan of the live-ball TO rule change a few years ago, and I'm not a fan of this change. Clearly you don't mind it, which is fine, but it doesn't make you morally superior or a better official for agreeing with the coaches on a rule change. People are allowed to dislike things.
You asked a question ("If they want the control, then why not give it to themselves (since they make the rules) the entire game?")...

and I answered it ("Because the last 2 minutes of the game is not the same as the rest of the game. I actually listen when coaches speak at clinics and camps. They ALWAYS talk about how much more important getting plays right at the end of the game is compared to the rest of the game. This falls right in line with that philosophy. As I alluded to in another thread, coaches put a lot more stock into end of game situations. It's always going to be that way, no matter how much officials rail on about all calls and all situations being equal.

The coaches make the rules. They are letting us know what is important.")

I didn't say I agree or disagree with the rule change, but if that's what you need to flame your rant, go for it. Being an a$$hole doesn't make one a better or superior official either, but hey, maybe I'm wrong about that.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue May 14, 2019 at 03:34pm.