The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 21, 2019, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 952
Vid request - Traveling in NBA vs others

Video request for Warriors vs Clippers on ABC. With 4:34 left in the 4th quarter, KD controls a loose ball, travels, and passes to AI, who travels, and scores. Classic!

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa83IndTJp8

Got to 11:27 mark in the video.
__________________
If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?

Last edited by bucky; Sun Apr 21, 2019 at 08:08pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 21, 2019, 06:35pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,591
Ok

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 21, 2019, 06:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,217
Two Wrongs Make A Right ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Video request for Warriors vs Clippers on ABC. With 4:34 left in the 4th quarter, KD controls a loose ball, travels, and passes to AI, who travels, and scores. Classic!
False multiple travel violation. They cancel each other out.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 21, 2019, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 952
Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa83IndTJp8

Go to 11:27 of video.
__________________
If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 21, 2019, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,647
Oh look, another holier-than-thou high school official complaining about the NBA, and not knowing what he's talking about. Yawn.

On the Durant rebound you could argue that he didn't control the ball until his left foot touched the ground. And even if he clearly gained control with his right foot as the pivot, it's far from clear if he released the ball before the right foot came back down. That's not even a clear travel in NFHS/NCAA. But you're probably an "if it looks funny it's a travel" guy.

Iguodala's move wasn't anything close to a travel. The initial control with the left foot on the ground is the zero step.

You should probably learn NBA rules before creating stupid threads like this.

Last edited by SC Official; Sun Apr 21, 2019 at 08:29pm.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 21, 2019, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Oh look, another holier-than-thou high school official complaining about the NBA, and not knowing what he's talking about. Yawn.

On the Durant rebound you could argue that he didn't control the ball until his left foot touched the ground. And even if he clearly gained control with his right foot as the pivot, it's far from clear if he released the ball before the right foot came back down. That's not even a clear travel in NFHS/NCAA. But you're probably an "if it looks funny it's a travel" guy.

Iguodala's move wasn't anything close to a travel. The initial control with the left foot on the ground is the zero step.

You should probably learn NBA rules before creating stupid threads like this.
Absolutely, two legal plays in the NBA. If people want to complain about traveling, go to NCAA where the Igoudala move is a travel yet officials pass on it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 21, 2019, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Absolutely, two legal plays in the NBA. If people want to complain about traveling, go to NCAA where the Igoudala move is a travel yet officials pass on it.
Yep....legal in the NBA.

Assume for a moment, the first one wasn't, or it was a college game. The T correctly took off to cover the break leaving no one in the right spot to have a good look at the ball. The C is looking through Durant's back and can't get a good look at the ball and the L is looking through several bodies. Even if were a violation and even if it were one they wanted to call, it would be a tough call to make.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 21, 2019, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Absolutely, two legal plays in the NBA. If people want to complain about traveling, go to NCAA where the Igoudala move is a travel yet officials pass on it.
That was kinda the point. A MS/HS ref would be all over these as travels but yet no one blinks if it is in the NBA. Then you have everything in between. The level of disparity is amazing.

Was there an update to the NBA book or video rule? The Igoudala play appears identical to the below NBA video, which the NBA indicated was a travel.

https://videorulebook.nba.com/archiv...ving-the-ball/
__________________
If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?

Last edited by bucky; Sun Apr 21, 2019 at 11:55pm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 22, 2019, 02:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
That was kinda the point. A MS/HS ref would be all over these as travels but yet no one blinks if it is in the NBA. Then you have everything in between. The level of disparity is amazing.

Was there an update to the NBA book or video rule? The Igoudala play appears identical to the below NBA video, which the NBA indicated was a travel.

https://videorulebook.nba.com/archiv...ving-the-ball/
Uh, you were the one stating they were travels.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 22, 2019, 06:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
That was kinda the point. A MS/HS ref would be all over these as travels but yet no one blinks if it is in the NBA. Then you have everything in between. The level of disparity is amazing.
No one blinks because they’re not travels in the NBA. If you don’t like the rule then take it up with the league office.

I can bet my soul that NBA officials are exponentially more accurate in adjudicating travels according to their ruleset than college/high school officials are according to theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Video request for Warriors vs Clippers on ABC. With 4:34 left in the 4th quarter, KD controls a loose ball, travels, and passes to AI, who travels, and scores. Classic!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 22, 2019, 06:32am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yep....legal in the NBA.

Assume for a moment, the first one wasn't, or it was a college game. The T correctly took off to cover the break leaving no one in the right spot to have a good look at the ball. The C is looking through Durant's back and can't get a good look at the ball and the L is looking through several bodies. Even if were a violation and even if it were one they wanted to call, it would be a tough call to make.
And a lot of officials that would call it could only justify it by saying “it looked funny.”
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 22, 2019, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
And a lot of officials that would call it could only justify it by saying “it looked funny.”
You're not incorrect.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 22, 2019, 01:19pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Absolutely, two legal plays in the NBA. If people want to complain about traveling, go to NCAA where the Igoudala move is a travel yet officials pass on it.
What would be the reason they would pass on them? Maybe it would be because they are just two hard plays to cover and calling them would likely be questionable if we looked back at the replay.

Both plays are very tight and in many cases hard to see at any level with quick enough players.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 22, 2019, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Uh, you were the one stating they were travels.
Yes, from the point of view of NFHS, not the NBA.

The NBA even called it a travel so there must have been some sort of update....unless everyone on the forum that said the last move was not a travel was wrong.
__________________
If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traveling quiz request Nevadaref Basketball 0 Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:44pm
Video Request: Dec. 19 Arizona-UTEP Traveling??? ZonaZebra Basketball 41 Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:30am
Timeout request after request for serve oldsetter Volleyball 13 Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:23pm
Deadspin: It's not traveling unless Duke says it's traveling Rich Basketball 1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 09:21pm
Traveling dknick78 Basketball 16 Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:52pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1