Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 12, 2019, 12:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Shame On Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... reading through the scoreboard operation manuals.
I've been officiating basketball for almost forty years, and as much as I hate to admit it, I have never read a scoreboard operation manual, not even one, certainly not more than one.

I hang my head in shame.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun May 12, 2019, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

It could be useful, especially with clueless scoreboard operators, or when I need to make a correction. If I want to tell a scoreboard operator to correct the fouls, score, or time, I can say "Set Main Clock, 5, 0, 0, Enter" to set a Daktronics scoreboard to 50.0 seconds and "Set Shot Time, 1,7, Enter" to set the shot clock to 17 seconds (or Recall Shot Time), if the scoreboard has such an option). Different scoreboard companies have different setups, and different areas use different scoreboard types (In my area, a lot of high school and college scoreboards are Daktronics units, but some junior college scoreboards are Nevco units, with a few Fair-Play scoreboards in Virginia), so it is useful to know at least the basics of scoreboard operations for the different type of units.
Old Sun May 12, 2019, 03:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Zero, Zero, Zero ...

Quote:
It could be useful, especially with clueless scoreboard operators, or when I need to make a correction.
The most involvement I've had with scoreboard operators regarding operation (not an on/off, early/late time issue), is when the scoreboard shows 0:00 and the horn hasn't sounded. I ask, "Is the automatic horn on?" If yes, we play a little more basketball. If not, they turn it on. Horn sounds, period's over; horn doesn't sound, let's play a little more basketball.

About a half dozen times in almost forty years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 13, 2019 at 03:26pm.
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
At a camp where this was discussed right from the NCAA Committee Meeting.
  • The NCAA Men's is not going to quarters. They would lose a media timeout and they make too much money off of that media timeout set up.
  • Not advancing the ball.
  • Moving the 3 point shot to the international level and not widening the lane.
  • Stopping the clock is not going anywhere. They like the fact they have reduced "blarges."
  • 20 second reset after offensive rebounds.
  • Coaches get timeout request ability in the last two minutes of regulation and last two minutes of overtime.

Finally, we were told the Women's Tournament loses 15 million dollars a year.

The Men's Tournament makes a little over a Billion dollar (YES with a "B"). Just because the women's games does something does not mean the Men's game feels the need to do things.

Some of these have not been officially approved, that will happen in June. There was more changes I am sure, but we only addressed the ones that were asked of the person that sits in those meetings.

Peace
About quarters, they could go to an NBA-style system for media timeouts where they have 3 at the 7, 5, and 3 minute marks of each quarter. The quarter break would be another opportunity for media timeouts, so quarters and media timeouts should not be mutually exclusive. However, this would be something for the 2021-23 rules cycle.

20-second reset on offensive rebounds and increasing 3-point distance make sense. However, why allow coaches to just call live-ball timeouts in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd half and overtime. I would rather keep the rule that is there for the entire game (no live-ball timeouts by coaches), for the sake of consistency and ease of administration.
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 03:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
About quarters, they could go to an NBA-style system for media timeouts where they have 3 at the 7, 5, and 3 minute marks of each quarter. The quarter break would be another opportunity for media timeouts, so quarters and media timeouts should not be mutually exclusive. However, this would be something for the 2021-23 rules cycle.
I guess, but they are not a fan. NBA games take longer. Everyone does not want games to take that long. Again, this is a money issue. That means ESPN, CBS and Fox want games to last a certain amount of time. It is not happening if the TV people are not on board. They are not on board it appears. It was stated clearly, they were not on board. They want games to be in that 2-hour window or around that window. Again the NBA has more going on to allow that to happen.

Peace
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 08:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So you want to go from 4 mandated time-outs to 7? I am perfectly happy with 20 minutes halves and the current media format. I'm not a big fan of changing sh!t just to change sh!t.

Quote:
... However, why allow coaches to just call live-ball timeouts in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd half and overtime. I would rather keep the rule that is there for the entire game (no live-ball timeouts by coaches), for the sake of consistency and ease of administration.
Because coaches make the rules and COACHES put a lot of value into the last 2 minutes and overtime. That's why I roll my eyes and tune out when officials drone on about all calls, no matter what point in the game, being equal. COLLEGE officials will have no problem adjusting to this rule change.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
So you want to go from 4 mandated time-outs to 7? I am perfectly happy with 20 minutes halves and the current media format. I'm not a big fan of changing sh!t just to change sh!t.

Because coaches make the rules and COACHES put a lot of value into the last 2 minutes and overtime. That's why I roll my eyes and tune out when officials drone on about all calls, no matter what point in the game, being equal. COLLEGE officials will have no problem adjusting to this rule change.
Another possibility could be just having the quarter breaks as media timeouts, or quarter breaks + media timeout at/under the 5 minute mark. That would keep the current number of media timeouts.
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 12:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Another possibility could be just having the quarter breaks as media timeouts, or quarter breaks + media timeout at/under the 5 minute mark. That would keep the current number of media timeouts.
Well they don't want to do it regardless. Again, the Women's game loses money so them doing something is not something the Men's side wants to follow just to follow. The NBA is a totally different entity that has games every night and trying to substain a larger marketing plan. Men's basketball is very regional in many cases and I doubt they even want games to take as long as an NBA game. Also multiple games in a day on a national stage is also more common.

So you keep talking about this and it is not going to happen. It even seems like they are not trying to change just to change something. There was actually thought that went into not making this change.

BTW, they are not advancing the ball either. JD Collins alone sounded like he was not a fan of that at all either.

Peace
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 06:02pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Daktronics shot clocks do have 2 reset options. Newer Nevco models also have 2 options, as do Fair-Play models. Daktronics shot clock controllers have Reset 1 and Reset 2 buttons, Fair-Play shot clock controllers have 2 buttons as well, and the newer Nevco shot clock controllers that look like a small walkie-talkie also have separate buttons for each shot clock reset value (a controller can have up to 3 values saved). This means that reseting to 30 or 20, and keeping the shot clock running, should not be an issue, as long as the operator does not press the start-stop button to stop the shot clock while it is being reset.

Note: I have been an ECO, mostly with Daktronics scoreboards with shot clock capabilities. I know how Daktronics scoreboards work, less so about Fair-Play and Nevco (reading through the scoreboard operation manuals).
\\

It looks like you have found your true calling, GAME CLOCK MAVEN.

Probably a lot easier to get games at a high level and I hear the gig pays well.

Strongly encourage you to pursue this avocation...
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

It would be a blast to work with or as a shot clock operator, but I'd rather be an on-court official.

Still, it would be cool to see a shot clock show up nationwide on the high school level. It has been a positive experience for me so far working shot clock games in DC. Restricted area won't be too bad, if officials are willing to adjust their block/charge calls and are not afraid to call charges when warranted. As other users noted, I would welcome more, and more descriptive signals in high school basketball, to neither be castigated for using unapproved signals, nor to be a doofus for using only approved signals, when those are insufficient for the situation at hand .
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 10:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It would be a blast to work with or as a shot clock operator, but I'd rather be an on-court official.

Still, it would be cool to see a shot clock show up nationwide on the high school level. It has been a positive experience for me so far working shot clock games in DC. Restricted area won't be too bad, if officials are willing to adjust their block/charge calls and are not afraid to call charges when warranted. As other users noted, I would welcome more, and more descriptive signals in high school basketball, to neither be castigated for using unapproved signals, nor to be a doofus for using only approved signals, when those are insufficient for the situation at hand .
Change for change's sake. None of this is necessary, or even desired, to make the high school game better.

And changing to quarters in men's college basketball is just dumb and there's no reason whatsoever to do it.