The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Replay

I understand some of the roles of replay, but did anyone think that the out-of-bounds replay that resulted in Virginia getting the ball back was not what they had in mind? No way that is ever called Virginia's ball earlier in the game, but now it is. Imagine trying to sell that call to a coach? Reminded me of a play at the end of a Husker lady basketball game a few years ago. Nebraska down 1, missed a shot, the opponent rebounded the ball with about 25 seconds left. Nebraska girl went to strip the ball from the rebounder, hit her in the wrist and forearm, knocking the ball loose and immediately out-of-bounds. No foul called and ball was given to opponent. Nebraska asked for a review and got the ball back since opponent last to touch it (Nebraska never did touch it- they hit the arm). Nebraska scores and wins the game, and you could tell the official in question knew this situation was unfair to the opponent....
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Could not agree more, replay got this one right for all the wrong reasons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 12:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

The conundrum of replay review.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guister87 View Post
I understand some of the roles of replay, but did anyone think that the out-of-bounds replay that resulted in Virginia getting the ball back was not what they had in mind? No way that is ever called Virginia's ball earlier in the game, but now it is. Imagine trying to sell that call to a coach? Reminded me of a play at the end of a Husker lady basketball game a few years ago. Nebraska down 1, missed a shot, the opponent rebounded the ball with about 25 seconds left. Nebraska girl went to strip the ball from the rebounder, hit her in the wrist and forearm, knocking the ball loose and immediately out-of-bounds. No foul called and ball was given to opponent. Nebraska asked for a review and got the ball back since opponent last to touch it (Nebraska never did touch it- they hit the arm). Nebraska scores and wins the game, and you could tell the official in question knew this situation was unfair to the opponent....
It happens multiple times a season and they haven't seen fit to change the rule yet. So, live with it.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Replay gets implemented to correct obvious errors. Unfair plays happens because of the limitations on the review. Replay expands. Rinse, repeat.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 01:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wink, Wink, Nod, Nod ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guister87 View Post
Nebraska ... missed a shot, the opponent rebounded the ball ... Nebraska girl went to strip the ball from the rebounder, hit her in the wrist and forearm, knocking the ball loose and immediately out-of-bounds. No foul called and ball was given to opponent ...
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, that's the way we used to call our high school games a few decades ago before every player's grandmother recorded the games on their cell phones and posted the videos all over the internet.

Not an error, we did it on purpose, and it was accepted by most. One coach was happy because his player doesn't get called for a possible foul, and the other coach was happy to get the ball out of bounds for a throwin.

It was a win win situation, that we can't call anymore with all the video available. Now we either call the foul, or give the ball to the team that didn't last touch the ball.

No more winking. No more nodding.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 09, 2019 at 02:00pm.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Add me to the list.

That effectively undid Texas Tech, which went into the huddle discussing tying or going ahead, and left the huddle on defense and in foul mode.

Steratore even talked himself in circles on it once he realized how it was going to (unfortunately) unfold.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 04:21pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Add me to the list.

That effectively undid Texas Tech, which went into the huddle discussing tying or going ahead, and left the huddle on defense and in foul mode.

Steratore even talked himself in circles on it once he realized how it was going to (unfortunately) unfold.
Cuz Steretore was on a Michigan game I think two years ago where it was knocked out by the defender but he told the broadcast crew there were “two frames” of the offensive player touching it last, hence the overturn.

It’s BS and the rule needs to be written to accommodate this kind of play IMO.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 04:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Hey, the coaches wanted these rules, so now they got it. Now live with the consequences. You think you have to get every little detail right and if you cannot handle the fact that then change it back. But this is what replay is. You will catch every little detail potentially in these bigger games and force the officials to get it right.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure that during the regular season, they have the right camera angle to change that...maybe, maybe not.

With all 3,298 cameras they had last night, ultimately they got it right. I agreed with the change, but I also see where you're coming from. Same thing happens in baseball when a runner slides in and beats the tag, but comes off the base for a split second while the fielder keeps the tag on.

Is he out? By the letter, yes. By the spirit? Not so sure. But rules is rules.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn’t there an NFHS ruling a few years back that stated B1 causes the ball to be out of bounds when slapping it out of A1’s hands even if the ball technically is in contact with A1’s hand last before going out of bounds?

Can someone help find that ruling?
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Wasn’t there an NFHS ruling a few years back that stated B1 causes the ball to be out of bounds when slapping it out of A1’s hands even if the ball technically is in contact with A1’s hand last before going out of bounds?

Can someone help find that ruling?
I don't remember such a ruling...but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Hey, the coaches wanted these rules, so now they got it. Now live with the consequences. You think you have to get every little detail right and if you cannot handle the fact that then change it back. But this is what replay is. You will catch every little detail potentially in these bigger games and force the officials to get it right.

Peace
Yep, funny how some people (not necessarily on this forum, before people start attacking me) never seem to place the blame for bad rules where it truly lies.