The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

I've sure that many read the article in RM about MN instituting video replay for the postseason in basketball and hockey.

What got me was how the guy could say that it didn't break any NFHS rules and so didn't jeopardize the MN state with the NHFS rules committee. He is confusing this issue with the provision which allows additional equipment for game administration (such as electronic scorebooks) by state association authorization. Using video for calls on the court is an entirely different matter.

The NFHS is quite clear that the latter is NOT allowed:

RULE 2
SECTION 2 OFFICIALS' JURISDICTION
ART. 1 . . . The officials shall make decisions for infractions of the rules committed within or outside the boundary lines. The use of any replay or television monitoring equipment by the officials in making any decision relating to the game is prohibited.

Pretty sad when the people in charge don't understand the rules.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

I don't get Referee so I didn't see the article. MN has already lost it's voting prvileges with the NFHS by going to 18 halves for the 2005-2006 season. The MSHSL surveyed the coaches and I guess 70% were in favor of the increase.

Remember MN is the state where the kid made the last second basket laying on the floor at the 3 pt arc. The officials correctly called it a 2 pt basket and his team won the game in overtime.

Here is the posting from the Minnesota State High School League web site on the use of replay:

Procedure

Officials may use courtside video replay only in the semifinal and championship games of the
State Girls’ or Boys’ Basketball Tournament — and only if the final outcome of the game will be affected. The situations in which replay would be used are listed below:

·To prevent or rectify a mistake caused by the failure to properly start or stop the game clock that occurs at or near the expiration of the final period.
·To determine whether a try for a field goal at or near the expiration of either the first half or
final period was released before activation of the period-ending backboard red light or LED lights.
·To determine if a try for goal at or near the expiration of the final period is a two- or
three-point attempt.

Protocol

1)Video replays will be used at the sole discretion of the game referee. All three officials may confer at the scorer's table.
2)The officials will inform both coaches of the reason for the review.
3)Both teams must return to their respective bench areas.
4)When a play is to be reviewed, the public address announcer will say: “A play is under
video review."
5)Video replays will not be shown in the building.
6)The referee will make the final decision. The referee will reverse a call only when there is indisputable evidence that the original call was incorrect.
7)If necessary, the referee will determine the correct point from which to resume play.
8)The officials will inform both coaches and the public address announcer of the final
decision. A public address announcement of the decision will be made.

I have a quarter-final game at the state tournament so it won't have any impact on me. But I know some officials from our association who have semifinal and championship games. It'll be interesting to hear how much time and how the state clinicians cover the replay use at the officials pregame meetings.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

"Remember MN is the state where the kid made the last second basket laying on the floor at the 3 pt arc. The officials correctly called it a 2 pt basket and his team won the game in overtime."

Red, if you would, what exactly happened? Are you saying that a player cannot take a 3-point shot while on the floor? Or was the player touching the arc?

Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Details

Here is a link to the video and the story. The shot won the ESPY last for Best Play. I had my details a little off, he made the shot at the end of the 1st overtime, his team won in double overtime. There could have been confusion over the shot being a 2 or 3 and if it was off in time to count.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/s7134.html

Sophomore Blake Hoffarber tied the game with a shot from flat on his back at the overtime buzzer, and he scored a team-high 25 points, to lead Hopkins to a 71-60 double-overtime victory over Eastview in the Class 4A boys' state title game on Saturday.

Hopkins (31-1) outscored Eastview 13-2 in the second overtime to win the game, but the top-ranked Royals were Hoffarber's miraculous shot away from squandering a 17-point lead.

The teams were tied at 49-49 going into overtime and still tied, 56-all, with 20.4 seconds remaining. Eastview's B.J. Viau drove and missed on a reverse layup, but Darren Kent soared in from the free-throw area to put back the rebound with 2.5 seconds left.

That set up one of the wildest shots in the history of this tournament and, perhaps, all of high school basketball. Andrew Henke threw the inbounds pass the length of the court from his own baseline and the ball bounced around and into the hands of Hoffarber, who fell down in the scrum.

Hoffarber then shot the ball from flat on his back, just inside the 3-point line, to tie the game as the buzzer sounded.

Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

That last second shot from his backside had three things the officials had to decide. First, they had to decide if he traveled prior to the shot. Second, if he got the shot off before the time ran out. And third, was it a two or three point shot. The officials got the play right on all accounts without the replay, but if you have the means to make sure you get it right, I feel comfortable with using all methods at your disposal. I'm a little relieved that I have only a quarterfinal game and won't have to sit in on the meeting that goes over the use of replay. It will add another two hours to the pregame meeting. It will probably be used once in five years, but the meeting will still be two hours longer.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 10:30am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I've sure that many read the article in RM about MN instituting video replay for the postseason in basketball and hockey.

What got me was how the guy could say that it didn't break any NFHS rules and so didn't jeopardize the MN state with the NHFS rules committee. He is confusing this issue with the provision which allows additional equipment for game administration (such as electronic scorebooks) by state association authorization. Using video for calls on the court is an entirely different matter.

The NFHS is quite clear that the latter is NOT allowed:

RULE 2
SECTION 2 OFFICIALS' JURISDICTION
ART. 1 . . . The officials shall make decisions for infractions of the rules committed within or outside the boundary lines. The use of any replay or television monitoring equipment by the officials in making any decision relating to the game is prohibited.

Pretty sad when the people in charge don't understand the rules.
According to the 2006-07 NFHS hoops rules questionaire they are considering the possibilty by seeking input:

"Would you favor? - During state championship contests, permitting game officials to use courtside replay equipment to determine if a try for field goal at or near the expiration of time should be counted, and if counted, determine its value."
mick