The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

No Replay??

The BCS games seemed to have very little (if any??) replays. I distinctly remember three plays that I thought could have used a second look: 1. Colt Brennan's sack/fumble/recovery play (the Hawai'i player was running out of the endzone with the ball when the R was signalling TD); 2. The fumble/no fumble near the goal line by the Kansas running back; 3. The catch/no catch near the sideline by the Virginia Tech player.

It seems as though the replay officials were told to relax with all of the replays. Am I making too much of this, or has anyone else noticed the same thing?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

All plays are reviewed. If the replay official sees enough on his first review then there is no reason to stop the game for the most part. Now, there have been some plays where I agree that the call on the field was good but it wouldn't hurt to stop the game just to "review" the play to ease the tension of the fans who may be in disagreement. The replay official is already in agreement but calls for the "review" so that there isn't any controversy. I call those PR reviews.

Last edited by JasonTX; Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 10:02am.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

GPC2, I think you bring up a pretty good point but remember this. If the replay guy can confirm the call on the field without stopping the game then he is not going to stop the game.

The plays you brought up I think they were all able to confirm. The only one I thought they should have stopped was the goal line play Kansas and VT. The runner was potentially down. But then again, the replay guys may have had a better look.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

I agree, especially in the VT/kansas game last night, that there were several plays that probably warranted a look, that weren't reviewed.

In addition to your examples, I thought the HL missed a spot by at least a yard on a 3rd and 1 run by Brandon Ore, with a couple of minutes left in the game. Looked like his knee was down then he lunged forward for the extra yard for the 1st down. Next play was a 20 yard TD pass, that brought VT within 24-21.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
I agree, especially in the VT/kansas game last night, that there were several plays that probably warranted a look, that weren't reviewed.

In addition to your examples, I thought the HL missed a spot by at least a yard on a 3rd and 1 run by Brandon Ore, with a couple of minutes left in the game. Looked like his knee was down then he lunged forward for the extra yard for the 1st down. Next play was a 20 yard TD pass, that brought VT within 24-21.
I agree with this as well. I'm pretty certain that the replay officials seen what we did but wasn't able to buzz the officials due to VT snapping the ball rather quickly.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

What I have seen is almost a reluctance from Fox to show replays. Other networks will have a replay of every play. Fox seems to only show one every couple of plays. I saw a punt or kick-off return in the Fiesta Bowl I think that looked like the player fell down after gaining possession but was allowed to get up and continue one. The original shot did not show what body part he had used to catch himself. I'm not saying that any official missed this call but it seems that it would have been very easy to show a replay of what had happened. I also seemed to notice a reluctance to review plays. But some of that could be based on the fact that Fox never showed a replay so I couldn't tell for sure if it was possible that a mistake was made.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
What I have seen is almost a reluctance from Fox to show replays. Other networks will have a replay of every play. Fox seems to only show one every couple of plays. I saw a punt or kick-off return in the Fiesta Bowl I think that looked like the player fell down after gaining possession but was allowed to get up and continue one. The original shot did not show what body part he had used to catch himself. I'm not saying that any official missed this call but it seems that it would have been very easy to show a replay of what had happened. I also seemed to notice a reluctance to review plays. But some of that could be based on the fact that Fox never showed a replay so I couldn't tell for sure if it was possible that a mistake was made.
I agree. In my opinion FOX needs to get out of the college football business and stick with the NFL. I am not satisfied at all with the college games they have done. I've never liked their commentators but now their producers are on my list. Leave the college games to CBS and ESPN.