The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 12:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
I would not categorize that as a judgment call. Either you see it or you don't. Obviously the official that signaled it as a 2-pointer did not see it correctly, as it was overturned during the time out on video review.

However, if a block/charge call was made and reviewed, you could still have a 'split decision' as to what it was. It happens here all the time. We watch a play situation and half think it is one call, and half think it is the other. That would categorize as a judgment call.

I would hope on reviewing that 3-point shot, that everyone that sees the video would accept the visual fact that his foot was actually behind the line. Black and white, no judgment required.....

But with all the conversation on what judgment means, obviously this is strictly just my opinion.
I was half being a smart-a$$ in asking that question. I think we are conflating "an official's judgment" with "a judgment call" in this conversation. An official's judgment can be wrong, as with the 3-point shot in question, but there are plays where there is not necessarily a right or wrong, just the official's judgment (ie: severity of a foul/start of the shooting motion/when a dribble ended)
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I was half being a smart-a$$ in asking that question. I think we are conflating "an official's judgment" with "a judgment call" in this conversation. An official's judgment can be wrong, as with the 3-point shot in question, but there are plays where there is not necessarily a right or wrong, just the official's judgment (ie: severity of a foul/start of the shooting motion/when a dribble ended)
Thank you!
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
I would not categorize that as a judgment call. Either you see it or you don't. Obviously the official that signaled it as a 2-pointer did not see it correctly, as it was overturned during the time out on video review.

I would hope on reviewing that 3-point shot, that everyone that sees the video would accept the visual fact that his foot was actually behind the line. Black and white, no judgment required.....
Yes, but they had to blow up that picture to make a clear determination. The color of the shoes and the line were similar color. The official does not get a second chance live to make that call. And if the camera angle or the amount of angles were not there, they would have to go with what the official saw.

We make educated guesses all the time. HD replay has made these calls easier to dissect. The out of bounds call that appeared to be off on Virginia was so close that we might not have had any high-speed camera to ever see that but for when the game was being played. And certainly, no one is calling that a violation on TT in that situation if the Virginia player clearly knocks it out of his hand without the benefit of any replay. That was a judgment call even if it might have looked another way to the people not making the decision.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes, but they had to blow up that picture to make a clear determination. The color of the shoes and the line were similar color. The official does not get a second chance live to make that call. And if the camera angle or the amount of angles were not there, they would have to go with what the official saw.

We make educated guesses all the time. HD replay has made these calls easier to dissect. The out of bounds call that appeared to be off on Virginia was so close that we might not have had any high-speed camera to ever see that but for when the game was being played. And certainly, no one is calling that a violation on TT in that situation if the Virginia player clearly knocks it out of his hand without the benefit of any replay. That was a judgment call even if it might have looked another way to the people not making the decision.

Peace
As Raymond said, you're conflating two different things.

Determining the facts of what occurred (ball touched, player location, etc.) can certainly require judgement, but once you have determined what happened, the call is generally a natural result of the facts. There is no judgement to the call itself. The actions dictate the call for everyone. You don't judge that someone was OOB but not far enough to matter.

However, given the same set of facts, there are some calls that then require judgment to handle....RSBQ, Displacement, Verticality, block/charge, etc. The call it self is where the judgement occurs....a judgment call. Given the same set of facts, officials can come to different conclusions about what should be called, if any call should be made and they can all be correct.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2019, 09:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
As Raymond said, you're conflating two different things.
He did not address me, he addressed someone else in this conversation.

Quote:
Determining the facts of what occurred (ball touched, player location, etc.) can certainly require judgement, but once you have determined what happened, the call is generally a natural result of the facts. There is no judgement to the call itself. The actions dictate the call for everyone. You don't judge that someone was OOB but not far enough to matter.

However, given the same set of facts, there are some calls that then require judgment to handle....RSBQ, Displacement, Verticality, block/charge, etc. The call it self is where the judgement occurs....a judgment call. Given the same set of facts, officials can come to different conclusions about what should be called, if any call should be made and they can all be correct.
We will simply not agree on this. You can keep trying to say this all kinds of ways to try to tell me what is or is not a judgment. The reality of my position did not form on the basis of this conversation. I will still call these judgments regardless of you or others feel and the Wofford-Kentucky play that many people were convinced was a violation (but was clearly not when you slowed it down and blew up the image) was also not called. People all over the internet felt that was a missed call, but wasn't. So their judgment felt it should have been called, we just did not have the ability in that game or the producers did not have the focus to show that play blown up themselves. Or if Kentucky would have lost the game, then maybe that would have been a bigger grip about the nature of that call. Either way, those are judgment calls to me. Part of judgment is what you actually see or what you guess about. I do not know if in the Wofford-Kentucky game the used a hypothesis just like maybe they did in the Virginia-Auburn game and one was clearly wrong and the other was wrong in the eyes of those that were not on the court. Either way, these are judgments and will always be judgments even if the facts are assumed.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 10, 2019, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He did not address me, he addressed someone else in this conversation.
Peace
No, he was addressing you but you just don't want to hear it. You just don't understand the word and are unwilling to admit it. Some things never change.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 02:09pm.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2019, 06:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No, he was addressing you but you just don't want to hear it. You just don't understand the word and are unwilling to admit it. Some things never change.
We talk off this site from time to time so if he wanted to address me directly he can do so in that way. I do not need this forum to talk to people I respect about this issue. What you do not want to accept is I am not agreeing with you on this. We are not boys like that so one thing that will not change is how I feel about the things you worry about.

That is real talk.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 14, 2019, 03:08pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Excellent foul call on 3pt try in the final second.
Jeff, I may have missed it but did you clip this play on your YOU Tube Channel?

Thanks!
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 12:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Jeff, I may have missed it but did you clip this play on your YOU Tube Channel?

Thanks!
No, I did not. The reason was CBS or NCAA page was making a claim on some of my videos. I was trying not to post the most controversial situations if it was already on YouTube already. These plays were controversial so I passed at this time on posting them. I do have the clip in my library, but I wanted to wait until things die down a little or use it in another video.

Just for the record, here are the two plays in question posted by CBS.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 10:06pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
No, I did not. The reason was CBS or NCAA page was making a claim on some of my videos. I was trying not to post the most controversial situations if it was already on YouTube already. These plays were controversial so I passed at this time on posting them. I do have the clip in my library, but I wanted to wait until things die down a little or use it in another video.

Just for the record, here are the two plays in question posted by CBS.

Peace
Thanks Jeff...You the man!