The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 26, 2019, 08:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

2019 NIT Plays (Video)

Play #1:

More to come if you make requests. I do not watch a lot of these games BTW.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 26, 2019, 09:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Pretty easy one right there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 26, 2019, 09:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Pretty easy one right there.

Called by one of my mentors.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 26, 2019, 09:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Called by one of my mentors.

Peace
I knew that.

Old Tue Mar 26, 2019, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

IU alum here.

I don't understand the fouler's reaction. Dakich was right on, that foul has been called pretty consistently in games I've watched.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2019, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I agree it has been consistently called all year. The question is was this correct?

The question becomes when does he no longer have possession of the ball. I am waiting to see teams adjust to this being called this way and run a fake hand off and have the defender plow over or into the offensive player who still has possession.

As for this call, I think it was correct because I do thank the hand off had taken place already. This is evidenced by the Indiana players arm coming up as he makes contact. Intentional absolutely not, but a moving screen, yes.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2019, 01:20am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
As for this call, I think it was correct because I do thank the hand off had taken place already. This is evidenced by the Indiana players arm coming up as he makes contact. Intentional absolutely not, but a moving screen, yes.
Whether the dribbler has handed the ball off before contact or not has no bearing on whether or not an illegal screen can be called. If you judge that the ball handler is screening an opponent and he is not doing so legally, it is an offensive foul. This is where the judgement comes in— same as determine whether an offensive player is cutting and causes incidental contact versus screening and causing illegal contact.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2019, 07:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I agree it has been consistently called all year. The question is was this correct?

The question becomes when does he no longer have possession of the ball. I am waiting to see teams adjust to this being called this way and run a fake hand off and have the defender plow over or into the offensive player who still has possession.
It's the offensive player who is doing the plowing, so why would it matter if he had the ball or not? The defensive player is not displacing the offensive player.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Ball is irrelevant. Ball handler never came to a stop.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2019, 11:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Because the rules people have said this was illegal and wanted it called. It is that simple. It is considered an illegal screen and actually has for a few years now on video as an example of illegal screens.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 27, 2019, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Man this is pretty off base and incorrect. None of this logic is factual at all. I would like to nominate this as today's "Fake Post"
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Moderately related to post:

I tried to do a better job with the dribble handoffs this year as we are seeing more of them and I didn't think I had been reading them well before.

Overall the more you see them and the more you are anticipating the ball carrier becoming a screener and making sure they meet the requirements for each its ok. I little tougher in 2 person as you are officiating on ball d, trying to pick up in coming competitive matchup and the ball carriers feet but if the game has good flow and its not random I'm getting better.

This one seems pretty easy, as do the ones where they offense is clearly just washing out the intial defender.

2 areas I find difficult to adjudicate in these situations I would love assistance/feedback about:

1) If d team is switching everything. Then contact/moving elements from screener don't create disadvantage unless they are rolling through or washing out the switching defender. Would you call the act/contact the same regardless of how it was being defended?

2) As another poster brings up if the offense dribbles at the defense hesitates and the curler sprints by like the handoff if coming but the dribbler just keeps attacking in the direction of the running defender. There is some questionable time and space stuff that can happen and who is responsible for contact can get tricky if the play gets blown up.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post

2 areas I find difficult to adjudicate in these situations I would love assistance/feedback about:

1) If d team is switching everything. Then contact/moving elements from screener don't create disadvantage unless they are rolling through or washing out the switching defender. Would you call the act/contact the same regardless of how it was being defended?
I am not sure I understand the question honestly. I do call fouls on illegal screens when they displace, bump or prevent the defender (could be offensive player in some cases) from doing what they intend. That usually means that the screened player has to do something to get the call. If you stop or decide you have no intentions on going around or you accept the person is in front of you, I am not likely to make the call.

Quote:
2) As another poster brings up if the offense dribbles at the defense hesitates and the curler sprints by like the handoff if coming but the dribbler just keeps attacking in the direction of the running defender. There is some questionable time and space stuff that can happen and who is responsible for contact can get tricky if the play gets blown up.
Offensive players are often aware of where they are going. Defensive players often react. This is why we get paid the big bucks to make these decisions.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not sure I understand the question honestly. I do call fouls on illegal screens when they displace, bump or prevent the defender (could be offensive player in some cases) from doing what they intend. That usually means that the screened player has to do something to get the call. If you stop or decide you have no intentions on going around or you accept the person is in front of you, I am not likely to make the call.

Peace
Agreed I just don't want to get caught up with the tail wagging the dog situation. Where a coach starts asking about illegal screen calls which I say aren't getting because they switch and there is no contact, and then she comes back with they have to switch because they are setting illegal screens that aren't getting called.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 01:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Agreed I just don't want to get caught up with the tail wagging the dog situation. Where a coach starts asking about illegal screen calls which I say aren't getting because they switch and there is no contact, and then she comes back with they have to switch because they are setting illegal screens that aren't getting called.
If I see an illegal screen, I call them when I see them. Coaches crying for them does not make it illegal. Often their players give up or stop which caused there to be no displacement at all.

Peace