View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Moderately related to post:

I tried to do a better job with the dribble handoffs this year as we are seeing more of them and I didn't think I had been reading them well before.

Overall the more you see them and the more you are anticipating the ball carrier becoming a screener and making sure they meet the requirements for each its ok. I little tougher in 2 person as you are officiating on ball d, trying to pick up in coming competitive matchup and the ball carriers feet but if the game has good flow and its not random I'm getting better.

This one seems pretty easy, as do the ones where they offense is clearly just washing out the intial defender.

2 areas I find difficult to adjudicate in these situations I would love assistance/feedback about:

1) If d team is switching everything. Then contact/moving elements from screener don't create disadvantage unless they are rolling through or washing out the switching defender. Would you call the act/contact the same regardless of how it was being defended?

2) As another poster brings up if the offense dribbles at the defense hesitates and the curler sprints by like the handoff if coming but the dribbler just keeps attacking in the direction of the running defender. There is some questionable time and space stuff that can happen and who is responsible for contact can get tricky if the play gets blown up.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!