Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco53 View Post
nope, great no call
Agreed
Old Mon Mar 25, 2019, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Double Dribble

Why do we think this is not a double dribble? Not sure I can tell definitively that it was or wasn't touched by the defender. Am I missing something?
Old Mon Mar 25, 2019, 07:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeas2 View Post
Why do we think this is not a double dribble? Not sure I can tell definitively that it was or wasn't touched by the defender. Am I missing something?
Some of us see the ball hitting the defender's foot. You say you can't tell if it was touched or wasn't touched. So if the official wasn't sure if was touched or not touched by the defender, his best recourse is to call nothing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 25, 2019, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Some of us see the ball hitting the defender's foot. You say you can't tell if it was touched or wasn't touched. So if the official wasn't sure if was touched or not touched by the defender, his best recourse is to call nothing.

Yea I understand that if you can't tell then it's no call. Just not sure why we are so definitive that this was a great no call if it's inconclusive one way or the other.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2019, 09:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeas2 View Post
Yea I understand that if you can't tell then it's no call. Just not sure why we are so definitive that this was a great no call if it's inconclusive one way or the other.
I am so definitive because he touched the ball with his foot and the way the ball stopped, only the defender's foot was there. And I saw that live, but the replay made me question if it did touch the defender. Then when I blew up the image, it was obvious to me it only could have touched the defender's foot. That is why I blew up the image on the video to show it definitely hit something and did not appear at all to hit the dribbler in any way. I am going to assume the official knew as he clearly did not hesitate or seem to flinch when making the call.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 25, 2019, 10:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am so definitive because he touched the ball with his foot and the way the ball stopped, only the defender's foot was there. And I saw that live, but the replay made me question if it did touch the defender. Then when I blew up the image, it was obvious to me it only could have touched the defender's foot. That is why I blew up the image on the video to show it definitely hit something and did not appear at all to hit the dribbler in any way. I am going to assume the official knew as he clearly did not hesitate or seem to flinch when making the call.

Peace
That replay pretty much ends the conversation.

Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Anybody calling him for a travel? After he picks up the ball and establishes his left foot as the pivot foot, he moves it twice.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 08:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Anybody calling him for a travel? After he picks up the ball and establishes his left foot as the pivot foot, he moves it twice.
I see that travel get overlooked at all levels of basketball.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 09:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Yeah, just like I am calling a foul on the defender. After all, he touches him. No!!!

Peace
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Initially I thought it was a missed call too. After seeing the blown up replay I believe it was definitive that it hit the defenders foot. Great no call. As for the slight shuffling of the pivot, I wondered about that as well, but we see that not called all the time at all levels.

What hurts the most, is I have had plays like this where it was in my PCA and I elected to pass on a call and my partner comes from nowhere to make a call. Makes for an interesting discussion in the locker room.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Do not need the blowup portion. The ball "deadens" when it hits the foot of the defender.

Yes, could have went with a travel....just as one could have called a travel when #3 initially got the ball in the clip. But...as has been noted, both are too marginal, at least in this sequence.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2019, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It's close, but the defender hits the ball BEFORE it contacts the board. He knocks it into the glass, then contacts it again.
So, that brings up the question...if a defender tips the ball before it hits the glass but the ball is still mostly going up and towards the basket, wouldn't the ball touching the glass then make it illegal to touch it after that? The shot hasn't necessarily ended.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2019, 09:27am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
So, that brings up the question...if a defender tips the ball before it hits the glass but the ball is still mostly going up and towards the basket, wouldn't the ball touching the glass then make it illegal to touch it after that? The shot hasn't necessarily ended.
It's prolly more defendable by rule to say goaltending can still apply after a blocked shot, but the way it's expected to be called at the college level is once a defender blocks or tips the shot attempt and the ball still hits the backboard, it is fair game. Even if another defender comes in and blocks it off the glass, no goaltending. Is that the same expectation in your area Raymond?
Old Sun Mar 31, 2019, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
It's prolly more defendable by rule to say goaltending can still apply after a blocked shot, but the way it's expected to be called at the college level is once a defender blocks or tips the shot attempt and the ball still hits the backboard, it is fair game. Even if another defender comes in and blocks it off the glass, no goaltending. Is that the same expectation in your area Raymond?
I've never considered it to be GT on such a play, but this play and how the TV broadcast reviewed it got me thinking....nothing in the rule says the backboard element goes a way if the defender gets is first. It makes sense when the block goes off the board and back to the blocker's hands. It would be silly to then call that GT. But when a defender tips the ball at the release and the ball clearly continues and has a chance to go it, it would not seem right to allow another independent touch after it hits the glass.