The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Wofford/NC State–Gottfried technical foul (Video)

Karl Hess called a technical on NC State coach Mark Gottfried at 15:58 in the first half against Wofford yesterday, 12/14.

First NCSU game Hess has called since the Gugliotta/Corchiani incident nearly three years ago.

The game was on Fox Sports South, RSN, and WatchESPN I believe.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 11:31pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 11:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Sounds like he said some magic words. And he messed with the wrong guy. Hess is not that guy to mess with. He will stick you and move on very quickly.

Coaches need to understand that we really do not care about them. It is not in our job description to care what they ultimately want to accomplish. Hess will be onto the next game and Gottfried will not even make the tournament. If they thought it was a foul, they would have called it.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Not a fan of the actually timing in calling the T...calling the T when he did took away an open 3. I think you need a more patient whistle here.

I would have waited until the shot and subsequent action from it was finished...then whacked the coach.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 11:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Not a fan of the actually timing in calling the T...calling the T when he did took away an open 3. I think you need a more patient whistle here.

I would have waited until the shot and subsequent action from it was finished...then whacked the coach.
Honestly, I do not think he cared. He got tired of his mess and took action. I agree in normal circumstances we should wait, but he had enough.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Honestly, I do not think he cared. He got tired of his mess and took action. I agree in normal circumstances we should wait, but he had enough.

Peace
I think we've all been there...someone...a player or coach says or does something so ridiculous and outlandish, or has just gotten to the point where you've had enough, that we just go ahead and WHACK 'em. I've seen it at all levels...NBA, NCAA, and high school.

I would hope though that after video review, that's the conclusion he'd come to was to wait the extra couple of seconds...then whack the coach.

As to the actual T, he probably said some magic words...and he was overly demonstrative by smacking down on his arm to indicate his displeasure with the coach. I don't see anything wrong with the actual T itself.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 12:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Gottfried says "That's bullsh!t Karl, I was just talking to you" after he gets the T.

Well, what I see is a coach talking while demonstratively clapping his hands. That's not "just talking" in my book.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Coaches need to understand that we really do not care about them. It is not in our job description to care what they ultimately want to accomplish. Hess will be onto the next game and Gottfried will not even make the tournament. If they thought it was a foul, they would have called it.

Peace
And according to NCSU fans, it will be Hess's fault when they do not make the tournament.

NCSU also had a game-winning three-point shot at the end that was correctly waved off by Hess, much to the fans' displeasure. I read an article (can't seem to find it at the moment) that said a water bottle was thrown in Hess's direction as he left the floor after the game.

State fans have blamed Hess for everything since the 2012 incident. I am surprised to hear that he had not called a single State game since that incident until yesterday.

In other news, I thought it was cool that this game was at Reynolds rather than PNC.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Karl Hess called a technical on NC State coach Mark Gottfried at 15:58 in the first half against Wofford yesterday, 12/14.

First NCSU game Hess has called since the Gugliotta/Corchiani incident nearly three years ago.

The game was on Fox Sports South, RSN, and WatchESPN I believe.
Is there a question here?
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Curious to see what everyone thought of the aftermath. He stuck with the T then during the timeout comes all the way out to the opposite side of the floor still "jawing" at Hess. I thought the other 2 officials did a good job of getting in front of him just wondering how some officials would handle this in an NFHS game
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 10:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgod24 View Post
Curious to see what everyone thought of the aftermath. He stuck with the T then during the timeout comes all the way out to the opposite side of the floor still "jawing" at Hess. I thought the other 2 officials did a good job of getting in front of him just wondering how some officials would handle this in an NFHS game
In a HS game, coach doesn't get past the outer boundary of his huddle before I'm walking him back.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 11:42am
(Something hilarious)

Somebody point me back toward where in a book (I'd love an NCAA-W book(s) reference, but anything will do) to where the case plays for "the official shall wait until the layup is successful/unsuccessful to assess the technical foul, yadayada" is supported by a rule reference that contradicts:

"Art. 2. A live ball shall not become dead when a foul is committed by an opponent of a player who starts a try for goal before a foul occurs, provided that time does not expire before the ball is in flight."

Haven't thought about that in a couple of years, can't find things, and want to know where that lives, so that I can explain how the cited rule doesn't for some reason include the HC as an "opponent."
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
As it is being determined that it would be in the best interest for police officers to wear body cams for sake of recording incidents and transparency, I would like to see microphone/recorders inserted into the precision timing devices that the officials wear. Record everything.....

Gottfried says he didn't use profanity prior to the T, everyone here is assuming that he must have used some magic words. Who's ever going to really know what happened and what was said?

Having recordings that conference assignors and university administration can go back, listen to and review could allow them to target and clean-up whichever side of the aisle needs it.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post

Gottfried says he didn't use profanity prior to the T, everyone here is assuming that he must have used some magic words. Who's ever going to really know what happened and what was said?
And if he didn't use profanity...so what? His overt actions of slapping down on his hand like he did in displeasure for the call was enough in itself to get a T.

Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
As it is being determined that it would be in the best interest for police officers to wear body cams for sake of recording incidents and transparency, I would like to see microphone/recorders inserted into the precision timing devices that the officials wear. Record everything.....

Having recordings that conference assignors and university administration can go back, listen to and review could allow them to target and clean-up whichever side of the aisle needs it.
I did not realize that profanity was the only reason to give a T for unsporting behavior.

Peace