The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 10:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Without a rule/case citation I'm not sure here. Are timeouts granted when they are requested or when the whistle is blown?
Yes, but with an off-ball play, the official has to go by when the whistle is blown to some extent.

For me, this is very close. I see why the call was made that way, but I could see if they decided the foul took place before the shot was attempted.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 10:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Eyes And Ears ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... with an off-ball play, the official has to go by when the whistle is blown to some extent.
Agree. If at least one official doesn't see both the off ball foul and the act of shooting, then the officials would have to utilize their ears instead of their eyes.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes, but with an off-ball play, the official has to go by when the whistle is blown to some extent.

For me, this is very close. I see why the call was made that way, but I could see if they decided the foul took place before the shot was attempted.

Peace
I don't see this as very close. By the time he starts to shoot the screener was on his rear sliding by the shooter. That implies the foul has already occurred.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 10:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I don't see this as very close. By the time he starts to shoot the screener was on his rear sliding by the shooter. That implies the foul has already occurred.
OK. We all have an opinion.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. If at least one official doesn't see both the off ball foul and the act of shooting, then the officials would have to utilize their ears instead of their eyes.
But couldn't the calling official come in and say, I had a really late whistle on that so if it was close, we should rule that the foul happened first?
In baseball/softball on a timing play the field umpire will yell tag to help the plate umpire no whether to count the run. If for some reason that was delayed or early, I'd expect that information to be offered, and I can think of no reason that wouldn't be the case here.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
But couldn't the calling official come in and say, I had a really late whistle on that so if it was close, we should rule that the foul happened first?
In baseball/softball on a timing play the field umpire will yell tag to help the plate umpire no whether to count the run. If for some reason that was delayed or early, I'd expect that information to be offered, and I can think of no reason that wouldn't be the case here.
Baseball/Softball are totally different than basketball. And you would determine where what came first by being in the position to see a tag and if it came before a run counted. There is no whistle or line of demarcation.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
In baseball/softball on a timing play the field umpire will yell tag to help the plate umpire no whether to count the run.
First, it's a "time play," not a "timing play." Second, that "yelling" bit is no longer taught at higher levels -- and hasn't been for more-than-a-few-years.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
First, it's a "time play," not a "timing play." Second, that "yelling" bit is no longer taught at higher levels -- and hasn't been for more-than-a-few-years.
Fair enough for baseball; not so for softball.