The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 10:10am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Without a rule/case citation I'm not sure here. Are timeouts granted when they are requested or when the whistle is blown?
Yes, but with an off-ball play, the official has to go by when the whistle is blown to some extent.

For me, this is very close. I see why the call was made that way, but I could see if they decided the foul took place before the shot was attempted.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 10:20am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,913
Eyes And Ears ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... with an off-ball play, the official has to go by when the whistle is blown to some extent.
Agree. If at least one official doesn't see both the off ball foul and the act of shooting, then the officials would have to utilize their ears instead of their eyes.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 10:31am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes, but with an off-ball play, the official has to go by when the whistle is blown to some extent.

For me, this is very close. I see why the call was made that way, but I could see if they decided the foul took place before the shot was attempted.

Peace
I don't see this as very close. By the time he starts to shoot the screener was on his rear sliding by the shooter. That implies the foul has already occurred.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 10:51am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I don't see this as very close. By the time he starts to shoot the screener was on his rear sliding by the shooter. That implies the foul has already occurred.
OK. We all have an opinion.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 11:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. If at least one official doesn't see both the off ball foul and the act of shooting, then the officials would have to utilize their ears instead of their eyes.
But couldn't the calling official come in and say, I had a really late whistle on that so if it was close, we should rule that the foul happened first?
In baseball/softball on a timing play the field umpire will yell tag to help the plate umpire no whether to count the run. If for some reason that was delayed or early, I'd expect that information to be offered, and I can think of no reason that wouldn't be the case here.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
But couldn't the calling official come in and say, I had a really late whistle on that so if it was close, we should rule that the foul happened first?
In baseball/softball on a timing play the field umpire will yell tag to help the plate umpire no whether to count the run. If for some reason that was delayed or early, I'd expect that information to be offered, and I can think of no reason that wouldn't be the case here.
Baseball/Softball are totally different than basketball. And you would determine where what came first by being in the position to see a tag and if it came before a run counted. There is no whistle or line of demarcation.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
In baseball/softball on a timing play the field umpire will yell tag to help the plate umpire no whether to count the run.
First, it's a "time play," not a "timing play." Second, that "yelling" bit is no longer taught at higher levels -- and hasn't been for more-than-a-few-years.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
First, it's a "time play," not a "timing play." Second, that "yelling" bit is no longer taught at higher levels -- and hasn't been for more-than-a-few-years.
Fair enough for baseball; not so for softball.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seton Hall/Xavier continuous motion (video request) JetMetFan Basketball 23 Sat Mar 12, 2016 03:40pm
Kentucky-Belmont Women 2:40 left in game Continuous Motion (Video) ZonaZebra Basketball 27 Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:04am
Kentucky/UConn Continuous Motion (end of 1st half foul) (video) JetMetFan Basketball 45 Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26pm
Continuous Motion? (video) JetMetFan Basketball 23 Sat Mar 22, 2014 02:57pm
Continuous Motion (video) JetMetFan Basketball 36 Tue Aug 27, 2013 04:39pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1