The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 09, 2019, 03:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Travel ...

Thirty-eight years and I've never seen this, nor will I probably ever see it again.

I observed two of my friends working a state tournament game a few nights ago and one of them nailed this odd and rare casebook call.

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach ... traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball.

Not too shabby.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 09, 2019, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thirty-eight years and I've never seen this, nor will I probably ever see it again.

I observed two of my friends working a state tournament game a few nights ago and one of them nailed this odd and rare casebook call.

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach ... traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball.

Not too shabby.
Yes, a good play to remember, not only for the events in the case play, but for when a player puts the ball on the floor, does not rise, and grabs the ball again. That would result in no-call.

Doubting that scenario will ever happen but now that I have mentioned it, probably happen next week.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2019, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Nice.

Also important to note that "put the ball on the floor" doesn't mean dribble, as it's colloquially used. It means to literally set the ball on the floor and then pick it up after rising.

It would be easy to read this language as not being allowed to dribble while you rise, which would be incorrect.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2019, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I would love to know who came up with this ruling and their rational behind it. I presume that the traveling rule and pivot foot requirements were years ahead of this play. Someone then decided that it would be considered traveling even though the player is neither holding the ball nor controlling it. Plus, they cared in the first place that it was even an action that should be considered illegal.

Last edited by bucky; Tue Mar 12, 2019 at 06:41pm.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2019, 03:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Pivot Foot ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I would love to know who came up with this ruling and their rational behind it. I presume that the traveling rule and pivot foot requirements were years ahead of this play. Someone then decided that it would be considered traveling even though the player is neither holding the ball or controlling it.
It's an odd play and an odd ruling. Holding ball at beginning, holding ball at end, no player control in the middle, doesn't judge legal or illegal movement of pivot foot, pivot foot isn't even mentioned.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 15, 2019, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post

I would love to know who came up with this ruling and their rational behind it. I presume that the traveling rule and pivot foot requirements were years ahead of this play. Someone then decided that it would be considered traveling even though the player is neither holding the ball nor controlling it. Plus, they cared in the first place that it was even an action that should be considered illegal.
I always assumed this was one of those "not permitted an advantage which is not intended by rule" sort of things. Allowing this would be an advantage not intended by the rule which says after gaining control while on the floor, the player may not attempt to get up or stand (paraphrasing rule).
Old Fri Mar 15, 2019, 08:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I always assumed this was one of those "not permitted an advantage which is not intended by rule" sort of things. Allowing this would be an advantage not intended by the rule which says after gaining control while on the floor, the player may not attempt to get up or stand (paraphrasing rule).
That's how it was explained to me after my 1st or 2nd year in officiating. The person who explained it that way went on to become an NCAA-Women's regional observer and now is the women's coordinator of officials for the MEAC and CIAA.
Old Sun Mar 17, 2019, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I understand that angle. However, I would consider it a disadvantage to relinquish control of the ball temporarily. It is a risky move. Besides, starting a dribble is allowed. Seems no different to me as far as the advantage angle.