The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Not disagreeing but why would fists be better? I also seen some saying hand behind the head for player control is a weak signal. I don't understand that either.
Fists on hips is much stronger and less awkward than open hands. There's a reason you don't see very many officials using open hands unless they work in/for a micro-managing assigner/state.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Kansas Ref, do you give a preliminary on every foul you call and verbally inform the fouler? Aren't those things in the manual?
Based on the times I've seen Kansas officials work, he probably does most, if not all, of the time.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 11:18am
This IS My Social Life

Hi, I'm Freddy, and I'm . . .

I'm no doubt the exception here. And I'm good with that.
I'm one of those who, by virtue of the position to which I've been appointed, teach and maintain prescribed and approved mechanics -- and signals -- as dictated by the ruling body of the code that prevails over those whose training I'm responsible for. And I'm good with that.
I understand that the preferences and interests of others in other areas and even of assigners and AD's and coaches -- and even some officials -- in our area here may differ. And I'm good with that.
I have learned that intelligent officials can pursue excellence in play-calling while at the same time prioritize using prescribed mechanics and approved signals asked of them. And I'm good with that.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 11:31am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Fists on hips is much stronger and less awkward than open hands. There's a reason you don't see very many officials using open hands unless they work in/for a micro-managing assigner/state.
Do you feel that the fists mechanic makes it more likely the call will be perceived as correct or do you feel it makes the official seem more confident in their call?
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Do you feel that the fists mechanic makes it more likely the call will be perceived as correct or do you feel it makes the official seem more confident in their call?
Both. Perception is a big deal. I can give off a more confident perception with fists than open hands.

I've never seen an official give an open hand preliminary block signal that looks good. I want to be strong in all my mechanics, irrespective of whether a call needs "sold" or not.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 11:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Poor Mechanics ...

For thirty-seven of the past thirty-eight years I've worked with, and observed, an outstanding official. He could call the hell out of a game, manage the heck out of a game, and charm the pants off of any coach, player, fan, or partner. In his heyday, he was a state tournament official, and a college official. When he walked into a gym, everybody greeted him like he was the mayor. Even in his later years he could run rings around younger partners.

He ended his season every year by volunteering to officiate Special Olympics Unified Games, most of us volunteer at one site, he would volunteer for several sites.

His mechanics were far from perfect. Sometimes he made up signals (some quite funny looking) on the spot, and sometimes his rotations and switches weren't quite kosher (once spotted him doing a 540 degree switch, he just kept moving until he felt comfortable).

Everybody wanted to work with this guy, coaches wanted this guy in their games.

I learned a lot from him, not about mechanics, but about everything else regarding officiating basketball games.

After fifty years on the court, he retired last season. I miss him. He was a great partner. He was fun to work with. He was fun to watch.

I know that a lot of us, including me, take officiating very seriously, but it is, after all, a game, and we should be allowed to have a little fun, not a lot, but a little.

But his great official/poor mechanics was an anomaly, an outlier. Here on my local board, he was the exception, not the rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 06, 2019 at 03:01pm.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I call my block foul with closed fists and hit my hips about 7 or 8 times and do it simultaneously while hopping toward the score table. I do this because I think Joey Crawford looks really cool doing it.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime1 View Post
I call my block foul with closed fists and hit my hips about 7 or 8 times and do it simultaneously while hopping toward the score table. I do this because I think Joey Crawford looks really cool doing it.
That's basically what OHSAA doesn't want to see.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 04:09pm
This IS My Social Life

The approved signal I teach here:
Block - Good Call, Good Signal, Good Report
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

If someone that has sway on your schedule says something to you, make an adjustment. Otherwise no one cares. I am yet to have an assignor go to me "hey the block signal is open palm, inner hand to waist. Not this closed fist nonsense." I've worked for about half a dozen in 15 years.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 06:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
If someone that has sway on your schedule says something to you, make an adjustment. Otherwise no one cares. I am yet to have an assignor go to me "hey the block signal is open palm, inner hand to waist. Not this closed fist nonsense." I've worked for about half a dozen in 15 years.
I know I have worked for 30 or so different people in basketball alone and never had any of them complain about my mechanics in this way.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 08:36pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru View Post
I'm more worried about both referees on a 2-person game being on the same side of the court multiple times, as I saw last night.
Both the 2017-19 NFHS Officials Manual, 2 Person Crew Item 4.3.3 and the MHSAA-specific Mechanics Manual spell out instances where the lead may go ballside to cover a match-up.

I can't speak for whether this action was proper in the game you observed, but I wanted to point out that this is a mechanic in certain situations.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 09:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru View Post
I'm pretty sure I do all four to some degree. Signals are meant to communicate information. IMO, as long as that information is being communicated, most should be fine with it. Obviously there are mechanic sticklers out there, but as others have said, I'm not sure why anyone should care unless it impacts the actual game in some way.

I'm more worried about both referees on a 2-person game being on the same side of the court multiple times, as I saw last night.

I assime you're not talking about going ballside here - if you are, I would be concerned with a crew whose lead never went ballside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Freddy, I'm glad you have a sense of humor.

That is seriously the most embarrassing thing I've seen, especially since his partner (whose call it was) was correctly about to call a PC foul.

That is unbelievable. And it sure looks like a varsity (2-whistle?!) game in California. Whoa ...
Old Thu Feb 07, 2019, 12:07am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
That's the best sell of a call I've ever seen. In any sport. At any level. That guy is God-tier.