The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 26, 2019, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

questions from watching a JV game

Three questions I wasn't sure about from a game before my son's:
(1) TO called. Sub comes in (I believe beckoned by one official) after the TO but well before the ball is ready to be put into play. Other official makes sub go back, apparently saying he couldn't sub b/c he didn't come in during the TO. Is that right?
(2) Team is not on the court when HT buzzer goes off. Still not back. Other HC asking for a T. Official goes to the locker room. About 30 seconds later, the team comes out. Should there have been a T? Is an official supposed to give a warning in the locker room and perhaps the officials forgot to?
(3) After a made basket by white, before the ball is inbounded, trail official comes running in. I *think* he called a T on a white player for swinging an arm (based on the arguments that followed, it was *probably* a swing at the arm of a player holding him, and (a so often happens) the second act got seen). Should that have been a technical or an intentional personal? Does it matter whether the team was yet attempting to inbound the ball? (I know it doesn't make much difference in real terms--but since the foul was in the backcourt, if it was a personal, the inbound would be in the backcourt rather than midcourt, right?)
Old Sat Jan 26, 2019, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Sub has to report before the warning horn. If he doesn’t he can’t cone in.
Officials duty to have teams notified 3 minutes before intermission over. If the half is delayed by a minute or more T can be called. Doesn’t sound like it got that far in your play. I can’t ubderstand last scenario
Old Sat Jan 26, 2019, 02:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Three questions I wasn't sure about from a game before my son's:
(1) TO called. Sub comes in (I believe beckoned by one official) after the TO but well before the ball is ready to be put into play. Other official makes sub go back, apparently saying he couldn't sub b/c he didn't come in during the TO. Is that right?
(2) Team is not on the court when HT buzzer goes off. Still not back. Other HC asking for a T. Official goes to the locker room. About 30 seconds later, the team comes out. Should there have been a T? Is an official supposed to give a warning in the locker room and perhaps the officials forgot to?
(3) After a made basket by white, before the ball is inbounded, trail official comes running in. I *think* he called a T on a white player for swinging an arm (based on the arguments that followed, it was *probably* a swing at the arm of a player holding him, and (a so often happens) the second act got seen). Should that have been a technical or an intentional personal? Does it matter whether the team was yet attempting to inbound the ball? (I know it doesn't make much difference in real terms--but since the foul was in the backcourt, if it was a personal, the inbound would be in the backcourt rather than midcourt, right?)
(3) Was the ball live (as in, at the disposal of the thrower in?)? That matters.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2019, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
(3) Was the ball live (as in, at the disposal of the thrower in?)? That matters.
That’s part of what I was wondering. I don’t think they had the ball OOB yet when it happened. So does that mean the T is right, but if they had taken it OOB and were ready to inbound it would have been personal rather than T?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2019, 04:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That’s part of what I was wondering. I don’t think they had the ball OOB yet when it happened. So does that mean the T is right, but if they had taken it OOB and were ready to inbound it would have been personal rather than T?

If the official considers it at the disposal and starts a count, it's live and personal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sat Jan 26, 2019, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If the official considers it at the disposal and starts a count, it's live and personal.
...assuming contact was made. If there's no contact, it can't be a personal foul.

That part isn't clear (to me) based on the OP.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2019, 07:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Halftime Intermission ...

Quote:
Team is not on the court when HT buzzer goes off. Still not back. Other HC asking for a T. Official goes to the locker room. About 30 seconds later, the team comes out. Should there have been a T? Is an official supposed to give a warning in the locker room and perhaps the officials forgot to
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Officials duty to have teams notified 3 minutes before intermission over. If the half is delayed by a minute or more T can be called.
2-4-4: Referee’s Pregame Duties
The referee shall: Be responsible for having each team notified three minutes
before each half is to begin.

4-38: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the
ball in play when a throw-in team does not make a thrower available or
following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court
to start the second half)
as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a
violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

10-2 -1-A: Team Technical
A team shall not: Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this
includes the following and similar acts: When the clock is not running consuming a full minute through not
being ready when it is time to start either half.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 26, 2019, 07:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

If I see a team is not out at the one-minute mark of halftime, I'm looking to have somebody go back and get them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk