The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   questions from watching a JV game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104324-questions-watching-jv-game.html)

so cal lurker Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39pm

questions from watching a JV game

Three questions I wasn't sure about from a game before my son's:
(1) TO called. Sub comes in (I believe beckoned by one official) after the TO but well before the ball is ready to be put into play. Other official makes sub go back, apparently saying he couldn't sub b/c he didn't come in during the TO. Is that right?
(2) Team is not on the court when HT buzzer goes off. Still not back. Other HC asking for a T. Official goes to the locker room. About 30 seconds later, the team comes out. Should there have been a T? Is an official supposed to give a warning in the locker room and perhaps the officials forgot to?
(3) After a made basket by white, before the ball is inbounded, trail official comes running in. I *think* he called a T on a white player for swinging an arm (based on the arguments that followed, it was *probably* a swing at the arm of a player holding him, and (a so often happens) the second act got seen). Should that have been a technical or an intentional personal? Does it matter whether the team was yet attempting to inbound the ball? (I know it doesn't make much difference in real terms--but since the foul was in the backcourt, if it was a personal, the inbound would be in the backcourt rather than midcourt, right?)

BigCat Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:54pm

Sub has to report before the warning horn. If he doesn’t he can’t cone in.
Officials duty to have teams notified 3 minutes before intermission over. If the half is delayed by a minute or more T can be called. Doesn’t sound like it got that far in your play. I can’t ubderstand last scenario

Rich Sat Jan 26, 2019 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1029375)
Three questions I wasn't sure about from a game before my son's:
(1) TO called. Sub comes in (I believe beckoned by one official) after the TO but well before the ball is ready to be put into play. Other official makes sub go back, apparently saying he couldn't sub b/c he didn't come in during the TO. Is that right?
(2) Team is not on the court when HT buzzer goes off. Still not back. Other HC asking for a T. Official goes to the locker room. About 30 seconds later, the team comes out. Should there have been a T? Is an official supposed to give a warning in the locker room and perhaps the officials forgot to?
(3) After a made basket by white, before the ball is inbounded, trail official comes running in. I *think* he called a T on a white player for swinging an arm (based on the arguments that followed, it was *probably* a swing at the arm of a player holding him, and (a so often happens) the second act got seen). Should that have been a technical or an intentional personal? Does it matter whether the team was yet attempting to inbound the ball? (I know it doesn't make much difference in real terms--but since the foul was in the backcourt, if it was a personal, the inbound would be in the backcourt rather than midcourt, right?)

(3) Was the ball live (as in, at the disposal of the thrower in?)? That matters.

so cal lurker Sat Jan 26, 2019 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1029378)
(3) Was the ball live (as in, at the disposal of the thrower in?)? That matters.

That’s part of what I was wondering. I don’t think they had the ball OOB yet when it happened. So does that mean the T is right, but if they had taken it OOB and were ready to inbound it would have been personal rather than T?

Rich Sat Jan 26, 2019 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1029380)
That’s part of what I was wondering. I don’t think they had the ball OOB yet when it happened. So does that mean the T is right, but if they had taken it OOB and were ready to inbound it would have been personal rather than T?

If the official considers it at the disposal and starts a count, it's live and personal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bob jenkins Sat Jan 26, 2019 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1029381)
If the official considers it at the disposal and starts a count, it's live and personal.

...assuming contact was made. If there's no contact, it can't be a personal foul.

That part isn't clear (to me) based on the OP.

BillyMac Sat Jan 26, 2019 07:16pm

Halftime Intermission ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1029375)
Team is not on the court when HT buzzer goes off. Still not back. Other HC asking for a T. Official goes to the locker room. About 30 seconds later, the team comes out. Should there have been a T? Is an official supposed to give a warning in the locker room and perhaps the officials forgot to

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1029376)
Officials duty to have teams notified 3 minutes before intermission over. If the half is delayed by a minute or more T can be called.

2-4-4: Referee’s Pregame Duties
The referee shall: Be responsible for having each team notified three minutes
before each half is to begin.

4-38: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the
ball in play when a throw-in team does not make a thrower available or
following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court
to start the second half)
as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a
violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

10-2 -1-A: Team Technical
A team shall not: Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this
includes the following and similar acts: When the clock is not running consuming a full minute through not
being ready when it is time to start either half.

Raymond Sat Jan 26, 2019 07:53pm

If I see a team is not out at the one-minute mark of halftime, I'm looking to have somebody go back and get them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk