The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 08:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The conference I assign (23 boys and 22 girls programs) is paying officials $66 each for a 3-person crew this season for varsity basketball. Lower levels pay $40 to $50 for 2-person crews.

Before I would cheer the decision to buy and implement shot clocks, I would scream out long and loud that 100% of this wasted money should go to improve officiating pay across the board.

Cause you know that schools will be mandated to install these stupid clocks and then for the next 10 years I'll have to hear "we don't have more money for officials cause we had to get shot clocks."

For. No. Good. Reason.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The conference I assign (23 boys and 22 girls programs) is paying officials $66 each for a 3-person crew this season for varsity basketball. Lower levels pay $40 to $50 for 2-person crews.

Before I would cheer the decision to buy and implement shot clocks, I would scream out long and loud that 100% of this wasted money should go to improve officiating pay across the board.

Cause you know that schools will be mandated to install these stupid clocks and then for the next 10 years I'll have to hear "we don't have more money for officials cause we had to get shot clocks."

For. No. Good. Reason.
How many nights does an official in your conference work during a season?

I am seeing a pay increase this year. The increase I am seeing is by schools who have a hard time contracting officials due to location. In my area, a few local guys moved or retired recently and it is noticeable. The schools that are still paying the least are the ones with easier access to officials. I heard of guys in these areas working 45 nights. I am working around 30. In my area, I feel if some guys didn't work so hard to get every game possible, pay will go up. I really don't care about the money but it would be nice to have a little more leverage when it comes to recruiting new officials.

Last edited by CJP; Wed Jan 16, 2019 at 11:11am.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 11:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Middle Schools ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
How many nights does an official in your conference work during a season?
Two big changes for me this season. I retired from my day job and made myself available for mid-afternoon middle school and freshman games. And, due to arthritis and a bone spur in my ankle, I turned back all my varsity assignments.

I had no idea how many middle schools were assigned by my "high school" board (many), and how hard it is to find officials available for mid-afternoon assignments (very few).

I'm working four middle school games this week, and four next week.

The pays is good. $63.05 for eight minute periods, $47.29 for six minute periods.

And all my games have been in contiguous towns, so no long road trips. I'm in and out, no games before or after my game to observe and evaluate. Because middle school sites often lack secure dressing areas, and may not have shower facilities available, we are encouraged to come dressed in uniform, so no packing and unpacking bags.

I work with new guys, and don't mind offering some tips. I also work with experienced (varsity) guys who get out of work early and want to work on days that they don't have a night assignment. I worked with a partner last week and between us we had over sixty years of experience. It was probably the best officiated middle school game in the state that afternoon.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 16, 2019 at 02:05pm.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I worked with a partner last week and between us we had over sixty years of experience. It was probably the best officiated middle school game in the state that afternoon.
That must have been fun. I hope the teams appreciated it!

Many years ago when my daughter was playing in an 8th grade CYO playoff game, they had a three person crew that was clearly an experienced HS crew--I can only assume they offered to do it for fun or to give back or something. It was fun to watch--such a stark change from the usual officiating they got. (And yes, they were tuned into what was appropriate at the 8th grade girl level--I know that is sometimes a challenge for referees working "down," as it can be hard to adjust to the level of play.)
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 02:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Say It Ain't So (Weezer, 1994) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
... an experienced HS crew--I can only assume they offered to do it for fun or to give back or something.
For the kids? Please say it ain't so.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)