The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I get all of that, but he clearly was outside the post area if you see . He was about 2 or 3 feet outside of the post area tick (located on the end line) and I even tried to talk him out of his hands being on the ball handler. We were told to call this pretty strictly and I even gave the player a chance but he never listened (I usually say "hands, space" or something like that) if they are technically illegal.

Peace
Vid 3 - Foul all day

Vid 4 - I would have liked to see you wait a millisecond longer as the player with ball elected not to attack and passed to an open player in an attacking position (shot or drive). But..... after reading that you were verbal about the contact, no problem with calling the foul. If they do not listen, then it is on them. Coaches won;t have a problem with that explanation. Although, Ric from GVSU can have problems with just about anything, lol. Love that guy!

Vid 5 - Good foul call. Good to see partner watching screener.

Vid 6 - I'm not worried about lateness of whistle but if calling ref was closed down more, it would have been less of an issue I think.

Vid 7 - Partner all over it right away showing excellent clock awareness.

Last edited by bucky; Wed Jan 02, 2019 at 01:07am.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Play 5...good call....this should be called all the time but it is often missed by officials that ball watch.

Play 6....good call. Play coming down the lane. Defender moving across from the lead's side jumping into the shooter. The only think I don't like is the little hop at the table. I know we sometimes simulate what the foul was but it looked a little goofy.

Play 7...not much to talk about. Good catch...and precise too.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 09:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Play #3 is a foul all day long and HS officials do a poor job of cleaning this type of play up.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Good plays and I'm not going to re-hash what has been stated correctly. The only minor thing I would point out is on play #5, the calling official doesn't post his foul. This scares the hell out of me because when you just bang out a block call it means 2 things IMO: (1) You were off guard when you picked up the foul or (2) You are a prime candidate for BLARGE's because your mechanics are poor in that aspect. I would share that with him if I was a partner of his. Great clips and thanks for sharing!
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Play 6....good call. Play coming down the lane. Defender moving across from the lead's side jumping into the shooter. The only think I don't like is the little hop at the table. I know we sometimes simulate what the foul was but it looked a little goofy.
Actually, the signal at the table is the mechanic you describe from an "A to B Foul." This is a college game, not a high school game. This signal is new in the CCA Manual this year. Last year they created a signal to allow the lead to describe a "wall up" legal action. This year they put in a foul signal to suggest when they do not legally "wall up."

Honestly, I wish high school would add some of these signals because they are more descriptive as to what actually happened. Calling a push does not quite do the trick IMO.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 11:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
Good plays and I'm not going to re-hash what has been stated correctly. The only minor thing I would point out is on play #5, the calling official doesn't post his foul. This scares the hell out of me because when you just bang out a block call it means 2 things IMO: (1) You were off guard when you picked up the foul or (2) You are a prime candidate for BLARGE's because your mechanics are poor in that aspect. I would share that with him if I was a partner of his. Great clips and thanks for sharing!
I will put it this way. I would agree if this was a block-charge situation but it is an illegal screen being called. Different sell and different mechanic pace IMO and not the worst thing to worry about. Play in the lane or a foul with the ball handler, then yes I agree totally.

That also being said, I would not be saying much to them personally about their mechanics. Two D1 officials on this game and it was my first game in this particular conference. Just being honest here. I would let our supervisor or JD Collins make comments about those things on their own. I was happier it was picked up by someone else other than me.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Play 7:
I don't have a shot clock so not perfectly familiar but should the shot clock be reset to 21?. Shot at 22 seconds, air ball, reset to 30 ticks down to 29.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, the signal at the table is the mechanic you describe from an "A to B Foul." This is a college game, not a high school game. This signal is new in the CCA Manual this year. Last year they created a signal to allow the lead to describe a "wall up" legal action. This year they put in a foul signal to suggest when they do not legally "wall up."

Honestly, I wish high school would add some of these signals because they are more descriptive as to what actually happened. Calling a push does not quite do the trick IMO.

Peace
Fair point....it still looks goofy. Perhaps they could have found/defined a better signal.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 01:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Play 7:
I don't have a shot clock so not perfectly familiar but should the shot clock be reset to 21?. Shot at 22 seconds, air ball, reset to 30 ticks down to 29.
Yes, that would be the correct ruling.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Amen! That said, I have no issue giving the NFHS "book" signal first, followed by an amplification signal (hit to the head, chuck, grabbed the shoulder, A to B, etc.) when the NFHS signal clearly doesn't tell the story. Coaches seem to appreciate it, and most evaluators don't care either. There are a few purists out there, but they seem to be more and more in the minority on this A) the longer the NFHS refuses to move the needle and B) considering how many college officials these days are evaluators and/or fellow HS officials.

As with all local issues of this sort, your mileage may vary. I suppose there are some places where stuff like this will still kill your postseason hopes. If so, shame on those places, but c'est la vie.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Play 7:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Yes, that would be the correct ruling.
Good catch, sdoebler!

Was there a monitor? If so, probably should have figured this out. If not, I could see how this would be easier to recall on the basis of when the T noticed the reset, which was at 22. Either way, a good get.

Do you blow it dead even if the ball doesn't end up OOB and the offense recovers? Or do you just make a mental note and do the math? Or does it depend on whether an imminent scoring play is in progress?
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 04:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Fair point....it still looks goofy. Perhaps they could have found/defined a better signal.
Well, it can look that way, but describes the actual action better IMO. Just like many college mechanics actually describe the action, unlike the NF mechanics that are bland and we have to give the same signals all the time for things that never describe what actually happened.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 08:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Last Video added in this thread (Video)

Play #8

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Jan 02, 2019 at 09:38pm.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Play #8

Peace
I am guessing that you meant Center or Lead. ??

Center takes it as ball came from his PCA and even ended on his half of the paint. I would not expect L to even blow his whistle in this case and if he did, I would expect him to drop his arm immediately after realizing that C had a whistle. This is Center all day.

Last edited by bucky; Wed Jan 02, 2019 at 09:15pm.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 09:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

I did mean the Lead and Center (And I fixed it in the updated video).

BTW, so the play happening on the lane would not be the trail's call? I am asking because this is often discussed as to who takes this. Our evaluator even commented about this play and had an opinion. I will share that later if need be.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Jan 02, 2019 at 09:38pm.