The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't this be the leads call because it was a secondary defender coming from the paint to challenge that play? Also, I believe NCAA all plays in the lane are the primary of the L, contrary to NFHS where the lane is split.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I did mean the Lead and Center (And I fixed it in the updated video).

BTW, so the play happening on the lane would not be the trail's call? I am asking because this is often discussed as to who takes this. Our evaluator even commented about this play and had an opinion. I will share that later if need be.

Peace
I am confused. You corrected the wording to be "Lead or Center" but yet are asking about the Trail. ?? This is nowhere near the Trail.

Anyway, IMO, I still believe it to be C's call. Perhaps it isn't the exact prescribed mechanic but the entire play originates in C's area and the drive is from C's area. I might buy the L whistle more if he was closed down but he is looking through too much traffic IMO.

Last edited by bucky; Thu Jan 03, 2019 at 09:19am.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2019, 11:28pm
AremRed

Play 1: Secondary defender, any official can and should bring info. Grounded secondary.

Play 2: Play on, dribbler puts himself in path of defender who is running down, contact is marginal IMO.

Play 3: Would prefer play on given the pass goes to wide open 3 point shooter. This is where a rulebook foul isn't wrong but there is a better option for the game.

Play 4: If called has to come much sooner. Marginal IMO, offensive player is super close to LDB. Also where the hell is Slot going??

Play 5: Obvious illegal screen, not a fan of the blocking foul signal first. Use that at the table. Not sure what the question/learning point is here, it's an obvious foul.

Play 6: Yes whistle is too late. Either hit earlier and chance giving an and-1 or lay off entirely.

Play 7: Clock should be at 21 or 20 but not a huge miss.

Play 8: Lead. Lead should be more aggressive here and start going to take it.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2019, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Play 8....leads call.

It was clearly a secondary defender (really tertiary). The C would have been on the initial defender and probably would have also occupied by the first help defender (thirty something) taking a swipe at the ball from the top side.

The lead had nothing else to take.

Yes, it was slightly across the centerline of the lane, but I don't like to put too much emphasis on that but more on where they balance of players are coming from and going.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2019, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Play 8: Preface: I have an opinion, but I don't think this is one to split hairs over, particularly in light of how it was handled.

I think this is L's, because C had a primary defender during the drive that the ball handler beat, leaving him little time to orient to what came next, i.e. the secondary defenders on L's side. That said, C did have an awesome look at the block, and the blocker was coming toward him which made the contact easier to discern.

To me, what's more educational about this play is how it was handled after the call. This was a perfectly ok double whistle. Both officials were awesomely patient with this, and then there was great posting, eye contact, and awareness. If L wants first crack, he's probably going to take it, and when he doesn't, that's a cue to the C that, "I'm not 100% and I was a little late and it came from your primary, so go ahead and take it." And he did. If I were the evaluator I'd be fine with this.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2019, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Do you blow it dead even if the ball doesn't end up OOB and the offense recovers? Or do you just make a mental note and do the math? Or does it depend on whether an imminent scoring play is in progress?
I didn't watch the video, but -- blow it dead as soon as one team gets the ball *unless* it's an immediate shot or drive to the basket AND that will happen before the clock expires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

I think this is L's, because C had a primary defender during the drive that the ball handler beat, leaving him little time to orient to what came next, i.e. the secondary defenders on L's side. That said, C did have an awesome look at the block, and the blocker was coming toward him which made the contact easier to discern.
Give it to whoever just had a similar call at the other end, so the coaches can see you are being consistent. OR, give ti to whoever did NOT just have another call on the same team so the coach doesn't think you are "picking on" that team. OR, give it to whoever is closest to the table, so the game can be resumed more quickly.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2019, 03:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Play #8

Peace
NCAA Men's mechanics: Secondary defender in the paint, that's Lead's primary. A1 beat B1, then was contested by B2.