The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 27, 2018, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

FT with And 1

"Score the goal" .. all 3 officials mirror ONE shot .. the first shot comes off the rim and no one moves .. period. The inside defensive player gathers the rebound and tosses it to the L for what they think is another shot.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2018, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'd give the ball to A (the team that shot the free throw)at the nearest spot to where B threw the ball to the Lead. This would be if the Lead was out of bounds.

If the Lead was inbounds when he caught the ball, I would administer a jump ball (AP throw-in to the team with the arrow, for leagues that don't have in-game jump balls), because the ball became dead in the official's possession without team control.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2018, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
"Score the goal" .. all 3 officials mirror ONE shot .. the first shot comes off the rim and no one moves .. period. The inside defensive player gathers the rebound and tosses it to the L for what they think is another shot.
I would go to the arrow.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I'd give the ball to A (the team that shot the free throw)at the nearest spot to where B threw the ball to the Lead. This would be if the Lead was out of bounds.

If the Lead was inbounds when he caught the ball, I would administer a jump ball (AP throw-in to the team with the arrow, for leagues that don't have in-game jump balls), because the ball became dead in the official's possession without team control.
If the L is standing inbounds and no official sounds a whistle, what rule makes the ball dead?
Also, when did team control end following B1 rebounding the ball?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Fri Dec 28, 2018 at 06:29am.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 04:59am
Official Forum Member

L

Isn’t the Lead suppose to be OFF the floor regardless? If NO second free throw is scheduled??? It’s happened to me and I’ve jus moved swiftly out of way as ball landed out of bounds🙋🏼*♂️🏀 Please someone clarify 3man L being ON Floor
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattReferee View Post
Isn’t the Lead suppose to be OFF the floor regardless? If NO second free throw is scheduled??? It’s happened to me and I’ve jus moved swiftly out of way as ball landed out of bounds🙋🏼*♂️🏀 Please someone clarify 3man L being ON Floor
If it's really the last FT, then the L is off the court.

If L (and apparently others) thought it was the first of multiple FTs, then some mechanics allow the L to be on the floor.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 09:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

How do you figure there was no TC if a defensive player REBOUNDED the missed shot and then passed the ball?

One of my pet peeves is when officials think TC ends because of an errand pass.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Dec 28, 2018 at 10:37am.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 10:27am
Do not give a damn!!

If it was communicated properly, the player made a mistake. We officiate mistakes often in this game. Why would we treat this any different?

Give the ball to the team that shot the FT.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If it was communicated properly, the player made a mistake. We officiate mistakes often in this game. Why would we treat this any different?

Give the ball to the team that shot the FT.

Peace
I changed my mind and I now agree with this. If I am certain that I communicated properly, I am going to give the ball to the shooting team.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes HS players just fall asleep. If everything was communicated properly just treat it like a regular OOB call. One coach is likely to be upset either way.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 11:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Sometimes HS players just fall asleep. If everything was communicated properly just treat it like a regular OOB call. One coach is likely to be upset either way.
Yeah, the coach will be upset that is player was not paying attention.

What I find funny is that players will ask you what number of FTs were shot well after you gave the ball to the FT shooter. What the hell do they think you are in the lane doing?

Peace
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
How do you figure there was no TC if a defensive player REBOUNDED the missed shot and then passed the ball?

One of my pet peeves is when officials think TC ends because of an errand pass.
How can there be TEAM control if the ball is possessed by an official? AFAIK, officials are not members of either team, so if they have control of the ball (when administering a jump ball, free throw, or throw-in), no team us in team control.

There cannot be team control if the ball is out-of-bounds, because the ball becomes dead upon gaining out-of-bounds status.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 01:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
How can there be TEAM control if the ball is possessed by an official? AFAIK, officials are not members of either team, so if they have control of the ball (when administering a jump ball, free throw, or throw-in), no team us in team control.

There cannot be team control if the ball is out-of-bounds, because the ball becomes dead upon gaining out-of-bounds status.
If the official is out of bounds then the ball is out of bounds. If the official was in bounds the official is part of the floor, so how did the team lose team control?

That's a basic of basketball knowledge. You are supposed to know how a team can team control. And throwing a pass that is caught or touched by an official is not one of them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised there is no casebook play for this situation, but assuming the lead is using proper mechanics for this play, he will be out-of-bounds, so this discussion is moot. A ball at the spot nearest to the ball going out of bounds.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm surprised there is no casebook play for this situation, but assuming the lead is using proper mechanics for this play, he will be out-of-bounds, so this discussion is moot. A ball at the spot nearest to the ball going out of bounds.
This is not a situation that needs a casebook play.

Peace