The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   FT with And 1 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104236-ft-1-a.html)

Valley Man Thu Dec 27, 2018 09:39pm

FT with And 1

"Score the goal" .. all 3 officials mirror ONE shot .. the first shot comes off the rim and no one moves .. period. The inside defensive player gathers the rebound and tosses it to the L for what they think is another shot.

ilyazhito Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:03pm

I'd give the ball to A (the team that shot the free throw)at the nearest spot to where B threw the ball to the Lead. This would be if the Lead was out of bounds.

If the Lead was inbounds when he caught the ball, I would administer a jump ball (AP throw-in to the team with the arrow, for leagues that don't have in-game jump balls), because the ball became dead in the official's possession without team control.

CJP Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 1027760)
"Score the goal" .. all 3 officials mirror ONE shot .. the first shot comes off the rim and no one moves .. period. The inside defensive player gathers the rebound and tosses it to the L for what they think is another shot.

I would go to the arrow.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 28, 2018 04:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1027761)
I'd give the ball to A (the team that shot the free throw)at the nearest spot to where B threw the ball to the Lead. This would be if the Lead was out of bounds.

If the Lead was inbounds when he caught the ball, I would administer a jump ball (AP throw-in to the team with the arrow, for leagues that don't have in-game jump balls), because the ball became dead in the official's possession without team control.

If the L is standing inbounds and no official sounds a whistle, what rule makes the ball dead?
Also, when did team control end following B1 rebounding the ball?

MattReferee Fri Dec 28, 2018 04:59am

L

Isn’t the Lead suppose to be OFF the floor regardless? If NO second free throw is scheduled??? It’s happened to me and I’ve jus moved swiftly out of way as ball landed out of bounds🙋🏼*♂️🏀 Please someone clarify 3man L being ON Floor

bob jenkins Fri Dec 28, 2018 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattReferee (Post 1027766)
Isn’t the Lead suppose to be OFF the floor regardless? If NO second free throw is scheduled??? It’s happened to me and I’ve jus moved swiftly out of way as ball landed out of bounds🙋🏼*♂️🏀 Please someone clarify 3man L being ON Floor

If it's really the last FT, then the L is off the court.

If L (and apparently others) thought it was the first of multiple FTs, then some mechanics allow the L to be on the floor.

Raymond Fri Dec 28, 2018 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1027761)

How do you figure there was no TC if a defensive player REBOUNDED the missed shot and then passed the ball?

One of my pet peeves is when officials think TC ends because of an errand pass.

JRutledge Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:27am

If it was communicated properly, the player made a mistake. We officiate mistakes often in this game. Why would we treat this any different?

Give the ball to the team that shot the FT.

Peace

CJP Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1027772)
If it was communicated properly, the player made a mistake. We officiate mistakes often in this game. Why would we treat this any different?

Give the ball to the team that shot the FT.

Peace

I changed my mind and I now agree with this. If I am certain that I communicated properly, I am going to give the ball to the shooting team.

SC Official Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:54am

Sometimes HS players just fall asleep. If everything was communicated properly just treat it like a regular OOB call. One coach is likely to be upset either way.

JRutledge Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1027774)
Sometimes HS players just fall asleep. If everything was communicated properly just treat it like a regular OOB call. One coach is likely to be upset either way.

Yeah, the coach will be upset that is player was not paying attention.

What I find funny is that players will ask you what number of FTs were shot well after you gave the ball to the FT shooter. What the hell do they think you are in the lane doing?

Peace

ilyazhito Fri Dec 28, 2018 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1027771)
How do you figure there was no TC if a defensive player REBOUNDED the missed shot and then passed the ball?

One of my pet peeves is when officials think TC ends because of an errand pass.

How can there be TEAM control if the ball is possessed by an official? AFAIK, officials are not members of either team, so if they have control of the ball (when administering a jump ball, free throw, or throw-in), no team us in team control.

There cannot be team control if the ball is out-of-bounds, because the ball becomes dead upon gaining out-of-bounds status.

Raymond Fri Dec 28, 2018 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1027780)
How can there be TEAM control if the ball is possessed by an official? AFAIK, officials are not members of either team, so if they have control of the ball (when administering a jump ball, free throw, or throw-in), no team us in team control.

There cannot be team control if the ball is out-of-bounds, because the ball becomes dead upon gaining out-of-bounds status.

If the official is out of bounds then the ball is out of bounds. If the official was in bounds the official is part of the floor, so how did the team lose team control?

That's a basic of basketball knowledge. You are supposed to know how a team can team control. And throwing a pass that is caught or touched by an official is not one of them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ilyazhito Fri Dec 28, 2018 01:54pm

I'm surprised there is no casebook play for this situation, but assuming the lead is using proper mechanics for this play, he will be out-of-bounds, so this discussion is moot. A ball at the spot nearest to the ball going out of bounds.

JRutledge Fri Dec 28, 2018 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1027782)
I'm surprised there is no casebook play for this situation, but assuming the lead is using proper mechanics for this play, he will be out-of-bounds, so this discussion is moot. A ball at the spot nearest to the ball going out of bounds.

This is not a situation that needs a casebook play.

Peace