The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

The passive aggressive I'm not talking to you thread.

I'm ok with passing out a T for some accumulation of BS, provided there is at any point a tipping point that I can point to at say to my self they've had enough rope and a line has been crossed.

Do you have any experience with coaches that don't complain about calls or non calls directly but is clearly trying to work officials through instructions to their kids.

ie. "Challenge his footwork . . . its ok they'll catch it next time." "You have to fight through the holds/hand checks". "Just because he is hand fighting doesn't make it ok for you to get held up." etc.

We've got a local coach that this is apparently their new thing. Won't ask for clarification or openly complain to us about calls. However all game long is giving instructions/feedback to his players specific to the what he sees being called and not called. He's never actually been confrontational but I can only hear him tell his kids to keep playing or get tougher in light of something he sees as the other team getting away with before I feel like it has to get dealt with.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I would put this under the 'attempting to influence an official's decision' category of technical fouls.

I've heard coaches say similar things, I typically ignore them unless it's persistent.

And that is exactly what a bench conduct warning is for.

It is, in my opinion, the greatest rule change to be implemented by the NFHS in my 20 years of doing this...and not enough of us are using it enough.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Coach complaining about a call. Persistently. Well after the call.
Me: "Okay coach, move on."
Coach: More complaining
Gave him a warning.
Assistant to a player: "Huh... Must be a new rule."
Whacked him. I don't make passive aggressive comments to them so I'm not going to allow them to do it.

If a head coach is doing it, I'm going to tell him verbally that I've heard enough and record an official warning at the next dead ball. Undoubtedly, he'll play the "who me?" game, and I'll let him know he needs to find a different way to coach his kids. Next time he does it, I'm whacking him. I don't get paid enough to let a coach think they're smarter than me. I probably have less patience than many, but I deal with passive aggressive kids all day, I'm not interested in dealing with that crap from an adult in my hobby/second job.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cagers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
... bench conduct warning is for. It is, in my opinion, the greatest rule change to be implemented by the NFHS in my 20 years of doing this...and not enough of us are using it enough.
Interesting. May be worthy of an entire new thread, that will eventually be quite long.

Greatest Rule Change To Be Implemented By The NFHS In Past Twenty Years

Talk amongst yourselves.

Of course, we all know Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.'s least favorite rule change, when they put up the chicken wire around the basketball court. Before that rule change fans were always throwing beer bottles and soda bottles at him, that he collected to return for the bottle deposit to supplement is fledgling officiating income.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 21, 2018 at 05:13pm.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 01:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I'm ok with passing out a T for some accumulation of BS, provided there is at any point a tipping point that I can point to at say to my self they've had enough rope and a line has been crossed.

Do you have any experience with coaches that don't complain about calls or non calls directly but is clearly trying to work officials through instructions to their kids.

ie. "Challenge his footwork . . . its ok they'll catch it next time." "You have to fight through the holds/hand checks". "Just because he is hand fighting doesn't make it ok for you to get held up." etc.

We've got a local coach that this is apparently their new thing. Won't ask for clarification or openly complain to us about calls. However all game long is giving instructions/feedback to his players specific to the what he sees being called and not called. He's never actually been confrontational but I can only hear him tell his kids to keep playing or get tougher in light of something he sees as the other team getting away with before I feel like it has to get dealt with.
I have nothing if the coach is telling his players "get tougher", or "you're not going to get that call", or "I know he's holding you, you play through it, I'll handle the refs".

I do have a problem when they make disparaging remarks about us to their players or bench personnel. I will address those remarks, and not in a friendly manner. I have T'd up a couple of coaches in my career who were in "I wasn't talking to you" mode.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 01:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

But I Wasn't Talking To You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I do have a problem when they make disparaging remarks about us to their players or bench personnel. I will address those remarks, and not in a friendly manner. I have T'd up a couple of coaches in my career who were in "I wasn't talking to you" mode.
Been there. Done that.

Usually the statement starts with the word, "But", as in, "But I wasn't talking to you".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

The list in 10-5-1 is not meant to be exhaustive ("includes, but is not limited to"). If he thinks he's found some loophole, he's wrong.

"You encourage what you permit."
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 08:35pm
This IS My Social Life

4-48: What a Tool. Let's Use It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
"...that is exactly what a bench conduct warning is for...and not enough of us are using it enough."
If this had a "Like" button I would click on it.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 11:08pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Funny to see this come up. I had this happen last weekend in a 6th grade girls game.

Early in the game, I thought I heard an assistant complaining about a no-call, but since I couldn't tell for sure without turning my back to the play, I let it go. Later in that quarter, an assistant clearly complained about what he thought was a missed travel, so I issued a bench warning. The head coached asked who it was on, so I replied, "The assistant complaining about the travel."

The HC tried to tell me the comment was a discussion between the coaches, but I wasn't buying it. I let the HC know assistants don't get to complain about the officiating. The message must have been loud and clear; I had no issues for the remainder of the game.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Fri Dec 21, 2018 at 11:12pm.