The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 01, 2019, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
It use to be in the OhioHSAA contracts that if the game was canceled after the officials left for the game they were to be paid the entire game fee. But without telling anyone the OhioHSAA changed its contracts about five years ago such that only if the game was canceled after the officials arrived were they to get paid. Mark, Jr., and I learned about the contract language change the hard way: We were 45 minutes into a 90 minute drive to officiate a girls' JV basketball game on a Saturday afternoon when we were called by the Home AD. The Visitors, were only a 20 minute drive from the Home school, canceled the game because the parents of the Visitors thought it was too cold, , to travel in a school bus.

MTD, Sr.

As an official in Alaska, I’d be curious to know what the “too cold” temperature was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 01, 2019, 04:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Spolied Young'uns ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
As an official in Alaska, I’d be curious to know what the “too cold” temperature was.
Why? So that you can make fun of us?

(It was the dreaded Polar Vortex.)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. has had schools in Ohio close due to "cold", we've had the same thing here in Connecticut.

It's the latest dance craze.

And to think, when I was a kid in ancient times, I walked several miles to school in several feet of snow, and back home in the afternoon, uphill both ways.

I drive by the bus stop on the corner on the coldest day of the winter and the kids have on a sweatshirts, shorts, sneakers, and baseball caps.

On cold days, my Mom dressed up my bother and me like the Michelin Man.

Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way? What's the matter with kids today? (Bye Bye Birdie, 1960)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 03, 2019, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why? So that you can make fun of us?

(It was the dreaded Polar Vortex.)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. has had schools in Ohio close due to "cold", we've had the same thing here in Connecticut.

It's the latest dance craze.

And to think, when I was a kid in ancient times, I walked several miles to school in several feet of snow, and back home in the afternoon, uphill both ways.

I drive by the bus stop on the corner on the coldest day of the winter and the kids have on a sweatshirts, shorts, sneakers, and baseball caps.

On cold days, my Mom dressed up my bother and me like the Michelin Man.

Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way? What's the matter with kids today? (Bye Bye Birdie, 1960)
I lost a bunch of assignments during the polar vortex year a few years ago. The weather closed the schools and most schools have a rule that if the school day is cancelled, so are the athletic events for that day.

I think the biggest issue is schools don't want to be held liable because the parents don't know how to dress their snowflakes. I think we missed 1 or 2 days total due to cold when I was in school, and one of those was due to it being too cold for the busses to start (it was like 20 below that morning).
Old Thu Jan 03, 2019, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I think the biggest issue is schools don't want to be held liable because the parents don't know how to dress their snowflakes.
One of the issues mentioned to me was the worry of a boiler breaking down in the school when the temperature is that low. Of course, we were in a very old school building back then.