The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 11:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Takin' Care Of Business (Bachman Turner Overdrive, 1973) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A long time hard ass coach (whose players, in three sports, would never say a disrespectful word to officials) recently passed away and was remembered at our last board meeting. An encounter was described between this coach and one of our old time veterans, who also since passed away. In the incident described the veteran just tossed the coach out of the game, no technical foul called, no free throws, he just tossed him out of the gym, and moved on with the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I did that in a HS rec game this past spring. Coach said something personal to me that most definitely crossed the line, but was only heard by me, the table personnel (who are employees of the city rec department), and the normal HC who was acting as an assistant. I told the dude he had to go. No tech, no explanation to my partner, no reporting to the table.
Respect man. Respect. Take care of business.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 05:13pm
Administrator

Quote:
I have a buddy whose captain's meetings always contain the statement "from free throw line to free throw line keep your hands off the ball-handler".

I've been very frustrated this season and last in getting partners to clean up handsy on-ball defenders. It is really detrimental on smaller high school courts where the ball-handlers have less room to operate and in games where ball-handlers aren't as skilled.

Why is your buddy making a statement that boxes one into a corner? Just go out and officiate the game. There should not be any hands on the Ball Handler.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I gotta give you guys credit you are way to patient with Mr. #olderthanklook. I had to go get my boots on after post #38 where he posted the text from the alleged guidance issued by his state. I’m calling BS on it.

I have two questions I’d like answered about this :

1. What state issued this guidance?

2. Give us the name of the person who penned this guidance so it can be verified.

For the rest of the group, I’d love to hear someone else from whatever this state occurred in to verify this too.

I’m sorry, I just don’t buy it. I mean really, can anyone here imagine walking into a gym on a Friday night and starting a game with two shots and the ball because a player in that game had dunked during halftime of a game on Tuesday night in which they were not a participant? Really?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

To Each His Own ...

Quote:
I have a buddy whose captain's meetings always contain the statement "from free throw line to free throw line keep your hands off the ball-handler".
To each his own, and when in Rome ...

I've got my pregame speech down to the bare minimum. After the handshakes, fist bumping, kissing, and introductions: Players legally equipped. Players wearing uniforms properly. Practice good sportsmanship. Got anything else (partner). Have fun.

Period.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 12, 2018 at 06:22pm.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 06:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Why is your buddy making a statement that boxes one into a corner? Just go out and officiate the game. There should not be any hands on the Ball Handler.

MTD, Sr.
You'd have to have that conversation with him. I've never felt boxed in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 10:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
Well, that is not the actual rule where it says "no hands" on the ball handler at all.

And I would not feel boxed either if that is the way to convey to the players what they should not be doing.

Heck I say "hands, hands, hands" when a player even gets close to a ball handler. I only call a foul when the rules say it is a foul. And no I do not give a darn if the coach hears me either.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 11:51pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter14 View Post
Technical?
F no.

Close the thread, mods.