The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Boy dunks during halftime of girls game....

Technical?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 08:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ignore ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter14 View Post
Boy dunks during halftime of girls game ...
Technical?
Absolutely not. Ignore (shouldn't you be in the locker room for most of the intermission?)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 08:35pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter14 View Post
Technical?

NO!! Unless he was a member of the girls' team.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 08:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If The News Fits, Print It ...

Dog bites man. Not news.
Man bites dog. News.

Boy dunks during halftime of girls game. Not news.
Girl dunks during halftime of boys game. News.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Only if he is part of the coaching staff.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 09:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Transgender ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Unless he was a member of the girls' team.
While Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. was being facetious here, this is a very serious issue here in Connecticut.

By state law, passed by our legislature, and signed into law by our governor, transgender students can play on the gender team that they identify with.

Now it's not quite as simple as that, the identification must be confirmed by parents, social workers, psychiatrists, psychologists, endocrinologists, etc. (not by surgeons).

We had two transgender girls winning sprint events at our class and open girls state track championships last spring, with complaints by several parents.

Right now it's only track, but it will eventually cross over to team sports, including basketball.

When it comes to most social issues, I'm pretty liberal, and when it comes to civil rights, I'm right there standing up for all minorities, gender, race, religion, age, sexual orientation, sexual identify, etc.

As a retired teacher, I realize that transgender students have a lot on their plates, bullying, depression, suicide, alcohol, drugs, etc., and that playing on the gender team that they identify with may be a positive influence on their life, but something still bothers me about this, something about a level playing field and fairness.

It's going to take much smarter people than me to figure this out.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 11, 2018 at 12:22pm.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 09:44pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. was being facetious here, this is a very serious issue here in Connecticut.

By state law, passed by our legislature, and signed into law by our governor, transgender students can play on the team that they identify with.

Now it's not quite as simple as that, the identification must be confirmed by parents, social workers, psychiatrists, psychologists, and endocrinologists (not by surgeons).

We had two transgender girls winning sprint events at our class and open track championships last spring, with complaints by several parents.

Right now it's only track, but it will eventually cross over to team sports, including basketball.

When it comes to most social issues, I'm pretty liberal, when it comes to civil rights, I'm right there standing up for all minorities, gender, race, religion, age, sexual orientation, sexual identify, etc.

As a retired teacher, I realize that transgender students have a lot on their plates, bullying, depression, suicide, drug use, etc., and that playing on the gender team that they identify with may be a positive influence on their life, but something still bothers me about this, something about a level playing field and fairness.
A big thumb's up to Billy.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for responses. Just curious. Didn’t happen in my game but question was asked. I said I’d ignore it if I saw it, but would prolly tell player to stay off rim. In Tennessee, GV plays first, then boys. Not far fetched here for a crew to come out with 3 minutes left and boys be shooting around. Apparently this situation happened somewhere in our association tonight. Wanted to be sure to ignore it.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

When people want to penalize this I always ask them how they plan to record the technical in the score book.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Why does this come up every few years?

I would ask the officials what they would do if a spectator dunked during halftime.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

"Son, off the court, please."
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

By state law, passed by our legislature, and signed into law by our governor, transgender students can play on the gender team that they identify with.

Now it's not quite as simple as that, the identification must be confirmed by parents, social workers, psychiatrists, psychologists, and endocrinologists (not by surgeons).

We had two transgender girls winning sprint events at our class and open girls state track championships last spring, with complaints by several parents.

When it comes to most social issues, I'm pretty liberal, when it comes to civil rights, I'm right there standing up for all minorities, gender, race, religion, age, sexual orientation, sexual identify, etc.

As a retired teacher, I realize that transgender students have a lot on their plates, bullying, depression, suicide, drug use, etc., and that playing on the gender team that they identify with may be a positive influence on their life, but something still bothers me about this, something about a level playing field and fairness.

It's going to take much smarter people than me to figure this out.
Great Post!
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Wasn't there a poster who wrote one time that his state requires a technical foul for this, or am I mis-remembering?

As far as I'm concerned (the rules don't explicitly state this), my jurisdiction for the second game of a DH doesn't start until I come out to observe warm-ups following the end of the first game. Anything that happens prior to the end of the first game is not my issue.

But, somewhere out there is "that guy" who would assess a T for this without any guidance from his state to do so.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

10-4-3 says a player may not dunk a dead ball.
10-5-1-i says bench personnel may not dunk a dead ball.
Unless the boy is a coach, manager, or statistician, he is not held to these rules during a girls game.

The note in 2-8-1 gives officials authority to assign fouls to team attendant or followers, but it also advises that discretion should be used. Unless this dunk was done in some kind of unsporting manner or interfered with the progress of the game, I don't see this rule as being applicable.

As SC Official points out, if this boy is playing in a later game, 2-2-2 could be used by an official who witnessed this to claim jurisdiction in that game and assess a technical foul. Failing advice from your HSAA or similar organization, I don't think this is a wise course of action.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Wasn't there a poster who wrote one time that his state requires a technical foul for this, or am I mis-remembering?

As far as I'm concerned (the rules don't explicitly state this), my jurisdiction for the second game of a DH doesn't start until I come out to observe warm-ups following the end of the first game. Anything that happens prior to the end of the first game is not my issue.

But, somewhere out there is "that guy" who would assess a T for this without any guidance from his state to do so.
Our state told us to T up the girls team as the players are still representatives of the school/team/program. I have not seen it called.