Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 12:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wear Out My Welcome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
... yesterday ...
That brings to mind one of my favorite Beatles songs. Wait. I'm being told ... Too much? Too soon? Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
If I'm in the stands, watching an earlier game, or on my way to the locker room, my jurisdiction has not yet begun.
Exactly. And I would, in my case, add "or officiating the first game of a DH" since games are assigned as pairs here.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Checking It Twice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
If I'm in the stands, watching an earlier game, or on my way to the locker room, my jurisdiction has not yet begun.
I enjoy watching my friends working state tournament games. I usually arrive early to get a seat away from crowd, and don't go into the locker room thus interrupting their pregame. When they come out onto the floor I always greet them and tell them that I've got a list of the pregame dunkers. I get a lot of funny replies and a few fingers, and it's usually not the finger that tells me we have less than one minute left in the period.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 02:15pm
Administrator

On a more humorous note or: "And now for something completely different."

One of not so numerous problems of officiating in either AAU or YBOA Girls' Nationals was younger brothers wanting to shoot around at half time. I would ask the boys if they shaved their legs every day. The answer was always a resounding NO! I would tell them that the only people that could shoot around were those that shaved their legs every day. That kept them off the court.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 02:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Know, I Was Once One Of Them ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
.. wanting to shoot around at half time.
Here in Connecticut we call these "gym rats". They come out of the woodwork any time the court is free.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The rule does not say anytime during the pregame whether that be an hour or 20 minutes before the game. This all applies when the officials have jurisdiction over their game. Halftime of another game has nothing to do with the game the players are playing in. I guess you would also require the players to remove jewelry, illegal equipment or tell them to take off certain color sleeves or items that do not fit the color restrictions during the halftime of the previous games as well? And when they do not comply, are you going to not allow them to play or give them a technical foul if they do not follow your instructions?

Peace
The state I work in has adopted it's own rule. From an official online message to all basketball officials:

"Players may not dunk during the pregame warm-up before their game or during the half-time of the preceding game. Administration and coaches are responsible to make sure players do not dunk during these periods. Once officials arrive on the court if dunking occurs the penalty is a technical foul. The foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach and the coach loses his/her coaching box privilege for the remainder of the game. This rule is outlined in the basketball manual and is to be followed by all schools during the regular and post season."
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When The Grand Poobah Talks, People Listen ...

Quote:
"Players may not dunk during the pregame warm-up before their game or during the half-time of the preceding game. Administration and coaches are responsible to make sure players do not dunk during these periods. Once officials arrive on the court if dunking occurs the penalty is a technical foul. The foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach and the coach loses his/her coaching box privilege for the remainder of the game. This rule is outlined in the basketball manual and is to be followed by all schools during the regular and post season."
The Grand Poobah has spoken.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The Grand Poobah has spoken.
The Wizard of Oz, as it were.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Listen (Chicago Transit Authority, 1969) ...

Quote:
The Wizard of Oz, as it were.
Or E.F. Hutton.

https://youtu.be/2_ygqPepLjM

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The state I work in has adopted it's own rule. From an official online message to all basketball officials:

Still (based on the text above), the officials for the game are not yet on the court for that game. Before that, it is on the administrators to deal with it.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not My Game ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Still, the officials for the game are not yet on the court for that game. Before that, it is on the administrators to deal with it.
Yes, but once they're on the court they may still be responsible to enforce illegal dunking for personnel who aren't actually in "their" game, especially for officials in a game previous to a boys varsity game.

Is the technical foul charged in the illegal dunking game or in the following game?

If in the illegal dunking game, is there a penalty for adding a name to the scorebook?

Is the indirect technical foul charged in the illegal dunking game or in the following game?

Who sits, the illegal dunking coach, or the following game coach?

Are the technical foul free throws taken in the illegal dunking game, or in the following game?

Many questions, few answers.

I'm glad that I can just ignore.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 11, 2018 at 03:53pm.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Still (based on the text above), the officials for the game are not yet on the court for that game. Before that, it is on the administrators to deal with it.
We are told by the state, in no uncertain terms mind you, that we officials are to take note and penalize any pre-game dunking during the half time of the preceding game if we see it happen. We are not to ignore.

Does this situation happen? Yes. I've personally witnessed it occur during an off night for me while watching a crew work my hometown team two seasons ago (no I wasn't off duty "whistle blowing" on the player that dunked - just an observer). BV dunked during the half time of the preceding JV game. V officials happened to see it.

The state reminds us of this prior to every season during our rules meeting or during an area meeting.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Details, Details ...

Quote:
We are told by the state, in no uncertain terms mind you, that we officials are to take note and penalize any pre-game dunking during the half time of the preceding game if we see it happen. We are not to ignore ... BV dunked during the half time of the preceding JV game. V officials happened to see it.
When in Rome ..., so please answer me these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Is the technical foul charged in the illegal dunking game or in the following game?

If in the illegal dunking game, is there a penalty for adding a name to the scorebook?

Is the indirect technical foul charged in the illegal dunking game or in the following game?

Who sits, the illegal dunking coach, or the following game coach?

Are the technical foul free throws taken in the illegal dunking game, or in the following game?

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Then you needed to state that in your post where you basically accused those of not applying the rules. This is what your state does, not what everyone else does necessarily. That is a big piece of the puzzle or conversation you left out. But for the record, your reference in the casebook does not apply to this. I have never been told to penalize a player for pre-game activities of any kind during a game I had no jurisdiction over or that was not during the game or pre-game in question.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then you needed to state that in your post where you basically accused those of not applying the rules. This is what your state does, not what everyone else does necessarily. That is a big piece of the puzzle or conversation you left out. But for the record, your reference in the casebook does not apply to this. I have never been told to penalize a player for pre-game activities of any kind during a game I had no jurisdiction over or that was not during the game or pre-game in question.

Peace
I didn't accuse. I asked if they/he/whoever supported it.

The answer was "no" along with some commentary.

Good enough for me.