The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Smile mechanic q

3 person crew. nfhs

Who inbounds ball that goes OOB's (sideline), couple feet from endline on trails side (staying front court)?
Sorry this simple q is so wordy.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 02:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

In NFHS, officials administer throw-ins on their lines. In 3-man, all sideline throw-ins are administered by the Trail, no matter which direction you are going.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Dec 03, 2018 at 02:29pm.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I believe IAABO 3-man procedure has the Lead official bounce the ball to the Thrower-in and the Trail observes the play has the Throw-in count
BillyMac... do you agree?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I believe IAABO 3-man procedure has the Lead official bounce the ball to the Thrower-in and the Trail observes the play has the Throw-in count
Not in an IAABO state but this is the "when in Rome" thing in my association. "Your count, Jim!" Pretty easy.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 03:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Correct. Page 148 of the IAABO Officials' Manual.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 03:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
3 person crew.
What's a three person crew?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For some reason this started in my part of Ohio several years ago. It was quickly abandoned.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 08:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Correct. Page 148 of the IAABO Officials' Manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
For some reason this started in my part of Ohio several years ago. It was quickly abandoned.

I) Full Disclosure:

A) I am a Individual Member of IAABO.

B) I am a Past Member of the following IAABO National Committees:

i) Membership Development

ii) Rules Examination

iii) Officials' Education and Development

iv) Women's Coordinating

SniperBBB:

You are absolutely correct about the OhioHSAA, BUT I did not abandoned it in my games, LOL.

We know that, whether it is NFHS, NCAA Men's or Women's, NBA/WNBA, or FIBA, once there are Ten Players in the Front Court that Ball movement can dictate that the T's court coverage can actually make him a second C (and this is not necessarily a bad thing, while we want to avoid whenever possible having the C being a second T).

For reasons not germain to this discussion I do not have my NFHS, NCAA (CCA) Men's or Women's, NBA/WNBA, FIBA, or IAABO mechanics manuals available to me. But we know the following things:

1) NFHS and IAABO Two-Person Mechanics: Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L.

2) NFHS Three-Person Mechanics: All Side Line Throw-ins shall be administered by the T.

3) IAABO Three-Person Mechanics: Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L.

4) Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L: If my memory serves me correctly (because among FIBA, NBA/WNBA, and NCAA Men's and Women's games I have only watched were Kansas' men's team and YSU's men's and women's teams and I honestly did not watch the officials) NCAA Men's and Women's, NBA/WNBA, and FIBA for this situation is the same as Item (3) but I could be wrong and I am sure that someone will come along and correct me.

That said, I much prefer Item (3). I will not go back to my pos-dinner pre-MNF Game nap.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Im not sure if many people here in the Southeast district have a clue what IAABO is. There was some stuff that came around here a few years ago that I have no idea where it came from.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I) Full Disclosure:

A) I am a Individual Member of IAABO.

B) I am a Past Member of the following IAABO National Committees:

i) Membership Development

ii) Rules Examination

iii) Officials' Education and Development

iv) Women's Coordinating

SniperBBB:

You are absolutely correct about the OhioHSAA, BUT I did not abandoned it in my games, LOL.

We know that, whether it is NFHS, NCAA Men's or Women's, NBA/WNBA, or FIBA, once there are Ten Players in the Front Court that Ball movement can dictate that the T's court coverage can actually make him a second C (and this is not necessarily a bad thing, while we want to avoid whenever possible having the C being a second T).

For reasons not germain to this discussion I do not have my NFHS, NCAA (CCA) Men's or Women's, NBA/WNBA, FIBA, or IAABO mechanics manuals available to me. But we know the following things:

1) NFHS and IAABO Two-Person Mechanics: Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L.

2) NFHS Three-Person Mechanics: All Side Line Throw-ins shall be administered by the T.

3) IAABO Three-Person Mechanics: Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L.

4) Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L: If my memory serves me correctly (because among FIBA, NBA/WNBA, and NCAA Men's and Women's games I have only watched were Kansas' men's team and YSU's men's and women's teams and I honestly did not watch the officials) NCAA Men's and Women's, NBA/WNBA, and FIBA for this situation is the same as Item (3) but I could be wrong and I am sure that someone will come along and correct me.

That said, I much prefer Item (3). I will not go back to my pos-dinner pre-MNF Game nap.

MTD, Sr.
Are you taking up French now?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 11:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pardon My French ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Are you taking up French now?
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. est un vieux sac de vent.

My high school French teacher, Mrs. Schliffer, would be so proud of me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 06, 2018, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
3 person crew. nfhs

Who inbounds ball that goes OOB's (sideline), couple feet from endline on trails side (staying front court)?
Sorry this simple q is so wordy.
The Trail does, by bouncing the ball to the thrower-in. Per IAABO mechanics, the Lead bounces the ball from the endline. What you do in this situation will depend on your state and association (MD IAABO boards use tableside reporting and NFHS mechanics).

AFAIK, the only major difference between IAABO and CCA Men's mechanics is the lack of long switches in CCA Men's mechanics (throw-ins in the front court are the same, both sets of mechanics have officials go opposite the table after reporting fouls (except for MD), and Primary Coverage Areas are also the same). An IAABO 3-person Lead opposite the table calling a foul with a change of direction will still go to Lead opposite, but an NCAA Men's Lead opposite returns to the throw-in spot after reporting, and will become Trail opposite.