The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

obs mechanic

I was curious as to the steps/procedures an umpire should take for an obstruction call.
Here is a made up situation. Runner on second, single to outfield, third baseman standing on the bag. Runner contact.
Make this regular/real baseball. (Not HS)

What is the signal? Right fist out to side or both hands up?

Is it a verbal signal or silent? I have been with umps who do either?

Assuming play continues, as it should, and runner is thrown out, do you call him out and then call time? Award the base?

Or, do you call him safe no matter what due to the obstruction?

My thought is that it is silent, right fist out, call him out, call time, award base(s)
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 08:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
I was curious as to the steps/procedures an umpire should take for an obstruction call.
Here is a made up situation. Runner on second, single to outfield, third baseman standing on the bag. Runner contact.
Make this regular/real baseball. (Not HS)

What is the signal? Right fist out to side or both hands up?

Is it a verbal signal or silent? I have been with umps who do either?

Assuming play continues, as it should, and runner is thrown out, do you call him out and then call time? Award the base?

Or, do you call him safe no matter what due to the obstruction?

My thought is that it is silent, right fist out, call him out, call time, award base(s)
In every level of baseball, including HS, you point at the infraction and call out "that's obstruction." Then the hand comes down and you go back to umpiring.

The fist out is a softball mechanic, but also includes a verbal "that's obstruction" as acknowledgment of the infraction.

If he's thrown out at the plate, you call time immediately and enforce the obstruction -- that includes the other runners who will be awarded the bases they would've received absent the obstruction.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In every level of baseball, including HS, you point at the infraction and call out "that's obstruction." Then the hand comes down and you go back to umpiring.

The fist out is a softball mechanic, but also includes a verbal "that's obstruction" as acknowledgment of the infraction.

If he's thrown out at the plate, you call time immediately and enforce the obstruction -- that includes the other runners who will be awarded the bases they would've received absent the obstruction.
Agreed. I would hold the point for a second or two just so everyone can see that you "have something" -- that will stop a lot of the "during play" complaining and yelling.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

"If he's thrown out at the plate, you call time immediately and enforce the obstruction -- that includes the other runners who will be awarded the bases they would've received absent the obstruction."

Isn't this a DDB situation? Wouldn't all other runners be in jeopardy?
Also, is it left or right hand?
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
"If he's thrown out at the plate, you call time immediately and enforce the obstruction -- that includes the other runners who will be awarded the bases they would've received absent the obstruction."

Isn't this a DDB situation? Wouldn't all other runners be in jeopardy?
Also, is it left or right hand?
Under OBR (which is what you said was being used), it's DDB until the obstructed runner is put out. That's when you kill the play and award bases. You would be correct under "not regular / real baseball" as you put it.

It's best to point with the left hand so it's not confused with an "out" call.