The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   mechanic q (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104174-mechanic-q.html)

bbman Mon Dec 03, 2018 02:26pm

mechanic q

3 person crew. nfhs

Who inbounds ball that goes OOB's (sideline), couple feet from endline on trails side (staying front court)?
Sorry this simple q is so wordy.

Raymond Mon Dec 03, 2018 02:27pm

In NFHS, officials administer throw-ins on their lines. In 3-man, all sideline throw-ins are administered by the Trail, no matter which direction you are going.

Zoochy Mon Dec 03, 2018 02:58pm

I believe IAABO 3-man procedure has the Lead official bounce the ball to the Thrower-in and the Trail observes the play has the Throw-in count
BillyMac... do you agree?

RedAndWhiteRef Mon Dec 03, 2018 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 1026672)
I believe IAABO 3-man procedure has the Lead official bounce the ball to the Thrower-in and the Trail observes the play has the Throw-in count

Not in an IAABO state but this is the "when in Rome" thing in my association. "Your count, Jim!" Pretty easy.

Scrapper1 Mon Dec 03, 2018 03:11pm

Quote:

Correct. Page 148 of the IAABO Officials' Manual.

BillyMac Mon Dec 03, 2018 03:39pm

Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbman (Post 1026668)
3 person crew.

What's a three person crew?

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3775/...8029f778_m.jpg

SNIPERBBB Mon Dec 03, 2018 04:45pm

Quote:

For some reason this started in my part of Ohio several years ago. It was quickly abandoned.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 03, 2018 08:03pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1026675)
Correct. Page 148 of the IAABO Officials' Manual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 1026680)
For some reason this started in my part of Ohio several years ago. It was quickly abandoned.

I) Full Disclosure:

A) I am a Individual Member of IAABO.

B) I am a Past Member of the following IAABO National Committees:

i) Membership Development

ii) Rules Examination

iii) Officials' Education and Development

iv) Women's Coordinating

SniperBBB:

You are absolutely correct about the OhioHSAA, BUT I did not abandoned it in my games, LOL.

We know that, whether it is NFHS, NCAA Men's or Women's, NBA/WNBA, or FIBA, once there are Ten Players in the Front Court that Ball movement can dictate that the T's court coverage can actually make him a second C (and this is not necessarily a bad thing, while we want to avoid whenever possible having the C being a second T).

For reasons not germain to this discussion I do not have my NFHS, NCAA (CCA) Men's or Women's, NBA/WNBA, FIBA, or IAABO mechanics manuals available to me. But we know the following things:

1) NFHS and IAABO Two-Person Mechanics: Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L.

2) NFHS Three-Person Mechanics: All Side Line Throw-ins shall be administered by the T.

3) IAABO Three-Person Mechanics: Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L.

4) Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L: If my memory serves me correctly (because among FIBA, NBA/WNBA, and NCAA Men's and Women's games I have only watched were Kansas' men's team and YSU's men's and women's teams and I honestly did not watch the officials) NCAA Men's and Women's, NBA/WNBA, and FIBA for this situation is the same as Item (3) but I could be wrong and I am sure that someone will come along and correct me.

That said, I much prefer Item (3). I will not go back to my pos-dinner pre-MNF Game nap.

MTD, Sr.

SNIPERBBB Mon Dec 03, 2018 08:14pm

Im not sure if many people here in the Southeast district have a clue what IAABO is. There was some stuff that came around here a few years ago that I have no idea where it came from.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 04, 2018 01:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1026686)
I) Full Disclosure:

A) I am a Individual Member of IAABO.

B) I am a Past Member of the following IAABO National Committees:

i) Membership Development

ii) Rules Examination

iii) Officials' Education and Development

iv) Women's Coordinating

SniperBBB:

You are absolutely correct about the OhioHSAA, BUT I did not abandoned it in my games, LOL.

We know that, whether it is NFHS, NCAA Men's or Women's, NBA/WNBA, or FIBA, once there are Ten Players in the Front Court that Ball movement can dictate that the T's court coverage can actually make him a second C (and this is not necessarily a bad thing, while we want to avoid whenever possible having the C being a second T).

For reasons not germain to this discussion I do not have my NFHS, NCAA (CCA) Men's or Women's, NBA/WNBA, FIBA, or IAABO mechanics manuals available to me. But we know the following things:

1) NFHS and IAABO Two-Person Mechanics: Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L.

2) NFHS Three-Person Mechanics: All Side Line Throw-ins shall be administered by the T.

3) IAABO Three-Person Mechanics: Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L.

4) Front Court Throw-ins on the Strong Side (L's Side) Side Line below the FT Line Extended shall be administered by the L: If my memory serves me correctly (because among FIBA, NBA/WNBA, and NCAA Men's and Women's games I have only watched were Kansas' men's team and YSU's men's and women's teams and I honestly did not watch the officials) NCAA Men's and Women's, NBA/WNBA, and FIBA for this situation is the same as Item (3) but I could be wrong and I am sure that someone will come along and correct me.

That said, I much prefer Item (3). I will not go back to my pos-dinner pre-MNF Game nap.

MTD, Sr.

Are you taking up French now?

BillyMac Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:07am

Pardon My French ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1026694)
Are you taking up French now?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. est un vieux sac de vent.

My high school French teacher, Mrs. Schliffer, would be so proud of me.

ilyazhito Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbman (Post 1026668)
3 person crew. nfhs

Who inbounds ball that goes OOB's (sideline), couple feet from endline on trails side (staying front court)?
Sorry this simple q is so wordy.

The Trail does, by bouncing the ball to the thrower-in. Per IAABO mechanics, the Lead bounces the ball from the endline. What you do in this situation will depend on your state and association (MD IAABO boards use tableside reporting and NFHS mechanics).

AFAIK, the only major difference between IAABO and CCA Men's mechanics is the lack of long switches in CCA Men's mechanics (throw-ins in the front court are the same, both sets of mechanics have officials go opposite the table after reporting fouls (except for MD), and Primary Coverage Areas are also the same). An IAABO 3-person Lead opposite the table calling a foul with a change of direction will still go to Lead opposite, but an NCAA Men's Lead opposite returns to the throw-in spot after reporting, and will become Trail opposite.