Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2018-19

SITUATION 6: A1 has tucked the bottom of his/her shorts into the tights being worn. RULING: Illegal. The referee shall not allow the player to enter the game or direct the player to leave the game until the shorts are removed from inside the tights. After making the correction, the player may re-enter the game at the appropriate time for a substitution. The uniform should be worn as the manufacturer intended it to be. (3-5-5)
Selective hearing for me? I missed that one. Thanks for correcting me.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 01:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I missed that one. Thanks for correcting me.
Thank SC Official. He led me to the citation.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 08:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Number One Priority ...

Worked my first scrimmage of the season tonight. Girls. We came out of the locker room and walked across the court to greet the coaches, the very first word out of one coach's mouth was, "So you guys really aren't going to enforce that no waistband rolling rule, are you? My girls are all freaking out about it".

The importance of this issue to coaches and players is blowing my mind.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 30, 2018 at 08:13pm.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Worked my first scrimmage of the season tonight. Girls. We came out of the locker room and walked across the court to greet the coaches, the very first word out of one coach's mouth was, "So you guys really aren't going to enforce that no waistband rolling rule, are you? My girls are all freaking out about it".
I'd reply, Just so we're straight, what other rules would you like me not to enforce tonight?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I understand the thought process regarding rolling the waistband and exposing a logo and/or drawstrings. What if the player rolls them the opposite way? Is that considered to be illegal?
^^^^^
This is the SD interp, If you want to roll them, they must be rolled inward.

Roger
Old Sat Dec 01, 2018, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rolled Waistbands ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
I'd reply, Just so we're straight, what other rules would you like me not to enforce tonight?
The three of us (three officials are sent to six period scrimmages, we still work two person and rotate in, $50.00 each for the night) basically stated that we may not be "looking for problems" but if we happened to spot a problem that we would have to enforce. We also stated that we wouldn't remove a player from the game if there was an infraction, that we would allow her to adjust the waistband on the court.

Old Sat Dec 01, 2018, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Although a cute response, the coach could simply, straight faced, reply that that is the only one. Additionally, the coach could easily respond that there are several rules not enforced so what is wrong with adding one to the list, especially since it is a rule that has nothing to do with playing the game. I digress.

Quote:
The three of us (three officials are sent to six period scrimmages, we still work two person and rotate in, $50.00 each for the night) basically stated that we may not be "looking for problems" but if we happened to spot a problem that we would have to enforce. We also stated that we wouldn't remove a player from the game if there was an infraction, that we would allow her to adjust the waistband on the court.
A nice idea however many times, a coach (usually opposing), brings something to your attention. Now, the crew looks a little silly for appearing to have not seen something before the game started. Also, then the other coach tries to spot other infractions against the opponent. Lastly, either coach may quip later in the game that you "enforce that (rule X) but not (rule Y)?" Anyway, there is no perfect way to do it and your way is a good start. Just saying that it can possibly lead to other issues.

Quote:

In our first game, one team had 10 players wearing rolled waistbands. The R talked to the coach during warm ups and told all the players. It was also told to the captains. The 5 starters came onto the court with rolled waistbands. The R was irked and addressed it, all while attention was brought on us, especially him. Later in the game, several players from the other team had the rolled waistbands. Again, the R addressed it. The coaches supported him/us but they were still miffed that it was an issue, causing such delays during the game. The game was a blowout. After the game, the home coach entered our locker room and we indicated that we were not being jerks about it, that we did not like to deal with it, and that it was not fun for us. However, we explained the league commissioners/assignors and state association have made it a POE and that recent communications were sent to enforce it. He was very understanding. Just stinks that it is an issue.

I attended a game with one team (winning team) having A1 with multi-colored sleeve, A2 wearing a black headband, and A3 wearing a white headband. There was a veteran crew and they allowed it throughout the game. The opposing coach, down by 35 entering the 4th quarter, tried to sub in a deep-bench player wearing a white undershirt beneath is dark jersey. Probably only time he will play the whole season. One official beckoned him on and the other, seeing the undershirt, sent him back. The player went to the locker room and removed the undershirt. Kids enters the game late and gets minimal playing time. Almost seemed like a travesty to me to witness.

Last edited by bucky; Sat Dec 01, 2018 at 06:18pm.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2018, 06:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Best Laid Plans Of Mice And Men Often Go Awry (Robert Burns) …

Quote:
A nice idea however many times, a coach (usually opposing), brings something to your attention. Now, the crew looks a little silly for appearing to have not seen something before the game started.
I'm pretty strict regarding fashion issues. That being said, regarding the rolled waistbands, I'm not going to go looking for trouble, if a player has a tucked in jersey bloused out at the waist, I'm not going to ask the player to unblouse the jersey so that I can check for rolled waistbands.

However, if the rolled waistband is obvious, and out in the open for everyone to see, including me, I will enforce the interpretation.

I don't see myself removing a player from the game if there is a rolled waistband infraction, I would allow said player to adjust the waistband on the court.

Now, all that may change after I get a few games under my black belt, or the Grand Poobahs come up with some stronger, or weaker, guidelines.

Old Sat Dec 01, 2018, 10:21pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:

Has anything been brought up about rolling bottom of shorts? I have not seen a ton of this but a group of officials was asking if this has been addressed.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2018, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Has anything been brought up about rolling bottom of shorts? I have not seen a ton of this but a group of officials was asking if this has been addressed.
Yes, it has been brought up. Also tucking the bottoms of the shorts into compression undergarments. Shorts were not designed to be worn either way now were they?

If they like shorts tucked, maybe players need to start wearing knickers. Those were designed to be worn that way. Are those legal in basketball?
Old Sun Dec 02, 2018, 01:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Knickers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Quote:
Yes, it has been brought up. Also tucking the bottoms of the shorts into compression undergarments. Shorts were not designed to be worn either way now were they?
NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2018-19

SITUATION 6: A1 has tucked the bottom of his/her shorts into the tights being worn. RULING: Illegal. The referee shall not allow the player to enter the game or direct the player to leave the game until the shorts are removed from inside the tights. After making the correction, the player may re-enter the game at the appropriate time for a substitution. The uniform should be worn as the manufacturer intended it to be. (3-5-5)

Old Sun Dec 02, 2018, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You get paid for scrimmage? I don't ever recall being paid for scrimmage. I worked first scrimmage in South Dakota last night and the coach gave us a Starbucks gift card. I thought that was a nice touch.

Scrimmage I wouldn't enforce it but its a scrimmage. I would explain to coaches and player how we were told to enforce it so they could prepare for regular season.

Roger
Old Sun Dec 02, 2018, 02:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You get paid for scrimmage? I don't ever recall being paid for scrimmage. I worked first scrimmage in South Dakota last night and the coach gave us a Starbucks gift card. I thought that was a nice touch.

Scrimmage I wouldn't enforce it but its a scrimmage. I would explain to coaches and player how we were told to enforce it so they could prepare for regular season.

Roger

In Wisconsin, they're all paid. Usually a game fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sun Dec 02, 2018, 07:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Unintended Consequences ...

Quote:
We started a new scrimmage policy about eight years ago. Previous to the change, we either used to sign up for free scrimmages at our preseason local board meetings, or we would get calls from local coaches with whom we previously had some type of relationship, usually hometown coaches. The scrimmages were "free" but we would often walk away with a twenty dollar bill in our pocket, or get a free T-shirt, or get a grinder, or a couple of slices of pizza. Free scrimmages always had a positive effect on relations between the officials and the coaches, athletic directors, and principals. Under the old system, I would often work a half dozen, or more, scrimmages, choosing to work games either near my home, or near my work. These scrimmages really got me prepared for the upcoming season.

Under our new paid scrimmage policy we are assigned scrimmages, as much as fifty miles away, by our assistant assignment commissioner through Arbiter and get paid $50.00 each, minus the 7% commissioner's fee, for a two hour scrimmage (three officials assigned, two person games, rotate on and off the court between periods, usually six periods, four varsity, two junior varsity).

Now that we get paid, everybody, 325 local board members, wants to get in on the money, so guys that never wanted to work scrimmages in the past, now can't wait to get some cash in their pockets. Since the change, I have never been assigned more than three scrimmages, it's usually only one, or two.

This scrimmage policy change was encouraged by our state interscholastic sports governing body. Several sports (field hockey, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer) were having problems getting free scrimmage officials, so our state association encouraged all sports officials to charge for scrimmages, assigning games in much the same manner as regular season assignments.

Enough free officials showing up for basketball scrimmages was never a problem previous to this policy change. Those of us who wanted to work scrimmages, worked scrimmages, and the problem was never not enough basketball officials working scrimmages, but too many, with four, or five, of us showing up for a two hour scrimmage, only getting to work couple of periods.

Sometimes getting paid isn't always better. There are often unintended consequences.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 02, 2018 at 08:26am.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2018, 07:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Scrimmage Fashion ...

Quote:
Scrimmage I wouldn't enforce it but its a scrimmage.
Fashion issues (except for safety issues) are never enforced in scrimmages here. I don't know if it's policy, or tradition, but players never wear uniforms in Connecticut scrimmages. Players often wear T-shirts, or reversible scrimmage vests, and are dressed as they would for practice. I had a scrimmage a few nights ago where every foul that I reported, for both teams, was charged to number zero, because nobody had a number on their T-shirt.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 02, 2018 at 08:28am.