The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 20, 2018, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Movement

A1 is shooting free throws. B1-3 are occupying the bottom two lane slots and one of the top lane slots. Otherwise, the other two A spots are clear. After putting the ball at A1's disposal, B1 proceeds to leave one of the first lane slots and move to the top one (leaving the bottom one open). I would think that the ball would be automatically dead since you have to have B1 & B2 in the first two lane slots on a free throw attempt. But then this is a distinct disadvantage for the A1 who shooting and if he were to miss would get another try for a free throw violation. Thoughts?
Old Tue Nov 20, 2018, 10:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Delayed Violation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeas2 View Post
A1 is shooting free throws. B1-3 are occupying the bottom two lane slots and one of the top lane slots. Otherwise, the other two A spots are clear. After putting the ball at A1's disposal, B1 proceeds to leave one of the first lane slots and move to the top one (leaving the bottom one open).
Delayed violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 20, 2018, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeas2 View Post
I would think that the ball would be automatically dead since you have to have B1 & B2 in the first two lane slots on a free throw attempt.
You need them there what the attempt starts (when the ball is at A1's disposal).

And, if they are not there, it's a T -- so it's not really a disadvantage for A.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2018, 04:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Technical Foul ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You need them there what the attempt starts (when the ball is at A1's disposal). And, if they are not there, it's a T ...
Why not a simple delayed violation on B1 for prematurely moving from the first marked lane space before the release by free throw shooter A1?

I know that if A1 were in that first lane space it would be a double (simultaneous) violation, on B1 for not being there, and on A1 for being there.

This only involves a single delayed violation, B1 prematurely moving from the first marked lane space before the release by free throw shooter A1.

What's the technical foul for if B1 is in the proper first marked lane space when to ball is at the disposal of free throw shooter A1 before the release?

I've got to be on the wrong end of this because we're always supposed to listen to bob.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 20, 2018 at 06:14pm.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2018, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

The T is for not being there before the ball is put at the disposal. Moving afterwards is simply a delayed violation.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2018, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
The T is for not being there before the ball is put at the disposal. Moving afterwards is simply a delayed violation.
Agree. The player initially complied with the rule then created a delayed violation by leaving the lane space. If Team B was directed to occupy the space prior to disposal of the ball and refused, technical foul.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2018, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why not a simple delayed violation on B1 for prematurely moving from the first marked lane space before the release by free throw shooter A1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Agreed with both of these. I was trying to be too cute with my answer, and trying to show the OP that he was mistaken in a couple of ways
Old Wed Nov 21, 2018, 01:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Resumption Of Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Agree. The player initially complied with the rule then created a delayed violation by leaving the lane space. If Team B was directed to occupy the space prior to disposal of the ball and refused, technical foul.
10.1.5 SITUATION C: The calling official has reported the foul and proceeds to his/her proper position for the first of two free throws awarded to A1. B1 and B2 are not occupying the first two marked spaces next to the end line as required. RULING: Team B will be directed to occupy the required spaces. If there is delay, a team technical foul shall be charged to Team B. (4-47)

Would the team technical not be charged and would the ball be given to free throw shooter A1 if this situation had occurred after a timeout?

Following a time-out or intermission, the resumption-of-play
procedure may be used to prevent delay. The administering official will sound the
whistle to indicate play will resume. The ball shall be placed at the disposal of the
thrower or placed on the floor and the count shall begin. Either or both teams may
be charged with a violation. Following a violation by one or both teams, if the
offending team(s) continues to delay, a technical foul shall be ruled.