The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 10:43am
Ok is the new good

Blood and Jersey Switch

#10 White has blood on her uniform and is directed out of the game. #20 White a bench player gives her Jersey to #10. The change in number is noted in the book. White has no extra Uniforms.

If the Coach wants to later bring the bench player in the game, can that player get her Jersey back and play with #20? If yes, the book would have two separate lines, one showing 10/20 and the other #20?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
#10 White has blood on her uniform and is directed out of the game. #20 White a bench player gives her Jersey to #10. The change in number is noted in the book. White has no extra Uniforms.

If the Coach wants to later bring the bench player in the game, can that player get her Jersey back and play with #20? If yes, the book would have two separate lines, one showing 10/20 and the other #20?
The book is silent on what happens to the player that yielded the jersey.

I say that the swapping of the numbers is covered under the allowance granted by the original situation if the number swap is done at that time. I'd even suggest that the swap is implied. If #10 gives up that jersey, that could be assumed to be taking on either the number of the bloodied jersey or whatever jersey they come up with from the lockeroom....all covered.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

I agree that it's not covered, but I would say it's not allowed by rule. Once #20 give up her jersey, she moves from being a "team member" to "bench personnel". She can't go back to being a "team member" because it would be a duplicate number.

OTOH, for this to happen, it's likely that the game is a blowout, and be late in the game -- so "game management" might dictate not noticing the infraction.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 12:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Different Jersey Allowed ...

A player shall not: Participate after changing his/her number without reporting it to the
scorer and an official.

3.2.2 SITUATION E: Team A properly submits its team member list and designates
the five starters as required at least 10 minutes before the scheduled start
of the game. Anytime thereafter, either before the game starts or during the game,
the coach asks the scorer to change a number in the scorebook: (a) so it corresponds
to what the team member is wearing; (b) because a player’s shirt has
excessive blood on it; or (c) because a player’s shirt is torn. RULING: In (a), a
technical foul is charged to Team A. In (b) and (c), the shirt is changed and the
number change made in the scorebook without any penalty.

3.3.7 SITUATION A: B1 is directed to leave the game because of excessive
blood on his/her uniform shirt. Team B’s manager has failed to pack any extra
shirts. (a) The coach asks one of the substitutes to give his/her shirt to B1; or (b)
Team A is able to find a shirt which B1 can wear even though it is not exactly the
same color or style of the Team B shirts. The shirt will however, clearly identify
B1 as a member of Team B and will not be confusing to either team or the officials.
RULING: Acceptable procedure in both (a) and (b). In both situations the
scorer will make necessary changes in the scorebook without penalty.
COMMENT: The spirit and intent of the rule is to do everything possible to allow
the player to use a different shirt and return without penalty. However, identical
numbers shall not be allowed on the same team.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

What if the jersey switch happens in the 1st quarter, and then at half they are able to find a different jersey number for the original #20 to wear? I'm thinking common sense (or if nothing else, 2-3) would suggest that it would be legal to make that change in the book without penalty before the start of the 2nd half?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 06:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Common Sense And Some Empathy ...

My two cents, the rule and two interpretations say that a player can switch jerseys if there's blood on it if it's reported to the scorer and official (I would personally inform the opposing coach as well).

I don't see any limits on the number of switches. Player A had the bloody shirt, now Player B has it. Can't we treat Player B the same as we treated Player A? What does the rule and the two interpretations say about Player B, or any player, who now has a bloody shirt? It says that Player B, or any player, can switch jerseys if there's blood on it if it's reported to the scorer and official.

I can see a problem with musical jerseys, but the spirit and purpose is to not deceive, the spirit and purpose is not to limit participation of otherwise eligible players.

Also, I'm not using the British English, I'm using American English. Bloody means covered with some blood, b****y is not used in it's very vulgar sense.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 16, 2018 at 06:44pm.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 07:22pm
Stop staring at me swan.

In our state, the trainer can spray the jersey and be good to go.

Do other states allow this?
Old Sat Nov 17, 2018, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
What if the jersey switch happens in the 1st quarter, and then at half they are able to find a different jersey number for the original #20 to wear? I'm thinking common sense (or if nothing else, 2-3) would suggest that it would be legal to make that change in the book without penalty before the start of the 2nd half?
Sure; I'd allow that

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
In our state, the trainer can spray the jersey and be good to go.

Do other states allow this?
Yes, but not all trainers have it (or didn't); and it's not going to work depending on the amount of blood and how saturated the uniform is.