Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

What rule?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
What rule?
Read the topic and you'll know what rule.

JK: I think it might be, but I'm not sure.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Yes, the NCAA rule is different. The game officials did it right. They saw the blood spot on the shirt, walked Oden over to the bench, and had a trainer evaluate it. The decision was that the uniform was not saturated and Oden remained in the game.

Rule 5, Section 9, Art. 10.
A player with blood on his or her uniform shall have the uniform evaluated by medical personnel. When medical personnel determines that the blood has not saturated the uniform, the player may immediately resume play without leaving the game. When medical personnel determines that the blood has saturated the uniform, the affected part of the uniform shall be changed before the player shall be permitted to return.

A.R. 126. While Team A is dribbling, the referee notices blood on A1’s game jersey. The referee blows the whistle to stop play. A1 goes to the bench and medical personnel (a) determine that the game jersey is not saturated with blood or (b) determine that the game jersey is saturated with blood. Ruling: In (a), A1 may remain in the game without penalty. In (b), A1 shall leave the game and change to a blood-free game jersey. A1 shall remain on the sideline until the next opportunity to substitute or Team A may use a timeout to allow A1 time to change the game jersey. A1 may return to the game at the end of the timeout.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 04:24am
Official Forum Member

We had the games on tonight at work...(what a job)

Some of the guys were asking me about the player that was on the sideline with just his "wife beater" (white tank top) on. Apparently he had fouled out and took his jersey off?

It looked unprofessional...and not becoming of a "team" player.

Thoughts?
Richland, WA
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 05:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude

Some of the guys were asking me about the player that was on the sideline with just his "wife beater" (white tank top) on. Apparently he had fouled out and took his jersey off?

Thoughts?
Legal, by rule. Btw, I think that the player had on an UnderArmour shirt iirc, not a regular tee.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Yes, the NCAA rule is different. The game officials did it right. They saw the blood spot on the shirt, walked Oden over to the bench, and had a trainer evaluate it. The decision was that the uniform was not saturated and Oden remained in the game.
Thanks for the NCAA rules references. I'm certain not finding a way to keep a key player in the game in that situation would be important just to avoid a strategy of "bleeding late in the game"! I saw a HS game where the officials allowed the player to change his jersey on the sideline - didn't look "good" to anyone who knew the HS rule about jersey removal but it did make sense from a game management perspective - the crew, when asked, said they allowed the jersey change in the bench area because the coach was already upset, so take a path that helps maintain calm (...hmmm, should the coach's demeanor have factored into the decision?).

The rule differences (HS/NCAA) on something like blood on the jersey does make one wonder whether "blood becomes less contagious in college?" I would imagine the rationale has more to do with player age [18+, adults...].
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
- the crew, when asked, said they allowed the jersey change in the bench area because the coach was already upset, so take a path that helps maintain calm (...hmmm, should the coach's demeanor have factored into the decision?)
So, they would not call a T for delay of game or hanging on the rim "because the coach was already upset"? Sounds like a poor game management decision from my perspective. How difficult is it to run outside the gym and change the jersey?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

There is a solution you can spray on it which makes it so you do not have to change the jersey. You could see that it looked as if the blood was saturated, which was probably that solution. We had then in games this year and had it right on the bench. The player would come over, we'd dous it with the solution and he would not even have to come out of the game. It was discussed at our rules meeting of being able to do just that.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
There is a solution you can spray on it which makes it so you do not have to change the jersey. You could see that it looked as if the blood was saturated, which was probably that solution. We had then in games this year and had it right on the bench. The player would come over, we'd dous it with the solution and he would not even have to come out of the game. It was discussed at our rules meeting of being able to do just that.
Are you talking about NCAA or NFHS?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS. I cannot remember what it is, just that they talked about it, we have it and used it a couple of times this year.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
NFHS. I cannot remember what it is, just that they talked about it, we have it and used it a couple of times this year.
2006-07 NFHS: 3-3-6 prohibits any amount of blood
2005-06 NFHS: 3-3-6 prohibits an excessive amount of blood

Last edited by jkjenning; Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 10:02pm.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
2006-07 NFHS: 3-3-6 prohibits any amount of blood
2006-06 NFHS: 3-3-6 prohibits an excessive amount of blood
IMHO, NFHS has it right on this one. Especially when compared to the NCAA rule.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

MJT, do you see the problem with your rules meeting saying that you are able to do that?

As jk noted, the NFHS went out of its way this past season to clarify that NO amount of blood was acceptable on a uniform. There must be NONE. Therefore, what is being stated by your rules meeting people is incorrect for NFHS rules. Unless the solution that you are putting on the uniform completely removes all of the blood, it is not meeting the requirements of the rule. That's why I asked whether you meant NFHS or NCAA.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 08:31pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude

Thoughts?
NFHS addressed this last year (05-06). NCAA has no such rule prohibiting this.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball