The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 07, 2018, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Think you are answering your own question. Would not the words "touch to prevent" = control?
No.

Control != Player Control.

A tap for a goal is controlled but it isn't player control.

Control, for the purposes of the traveling rule required holding the ball...no hold, no travel. Briefly pinning the ball between a hand and the floor isn't holding to me.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2018, 12:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Generic Control ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
A tap for a goal is controlled but it isn't player control.
Agree, but let's be careful to not confuse the young'uns.

A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling
a live ball.

A tap for goal is the contacting of the ball with any part of a player’s
hand(s) in an attempt to direct the ball into his/her basket.

The definitions in the NFHS Rulebook may not be the same as the definitions in Funk and Wagnalls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 07, 2018 at 12:24pm.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2018, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree, but let's be careful to not confuse the young'uns.

A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling
a live ball.

A tap for goal is the contacting of the ball with any part of a player’s
hand(s) in an attempt to direct the ball into his/her basket.

The definitions in the NFHS Rulebook may not be the same as the definitions in Funk and Wagnalls.
Agree...that is precisely my point.

The player never held the ball while on the floor....it was more of a hand-check!

He did potentially travel when he stood up and grabbed the ball...he may have grabbed it before his knee lifted but that is really close and I'd lean towards no travel on that one too.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2018, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I will change my List to read: A player must be holding the ball (with rare exception) in order to travel (changing "exception" from plural to singular).

Note: It's nice to know that a few Forum members actually read my very numerous posts. I will admit that sometimes I post things that are self serving, the posts help me understand things, or remind me of things. As a retired teacher, I know that scientific studies substantiate that the physical act of writing (and possibly typing, or keyboarding) boosts learning. That's why I always had my students take notes in class every day, even if the material was in the textbook. This method may not have helped all of them to learn (there are so many different learning styles) but it definitely helped many of them to learn and to achieve success in my classroom.
Also consider case 4.44.3 SIT A letter d. With the touch (note, not a hold/catch), there is a traveling violation. FYI -
Old Tue Dec 18, 2018, 07:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Traveling ...

Quote:
Also consider case 4.44.3 SIT A letter d. With the touch (note, not a hold/catch), there is a traveling violation.
4.44.3 SITUATION A: A1 jumps to try for goal. B1 also jumps and touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and touches it first after it bounces. RULING: a violation for starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 18, 2018 at 08:17am.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2018, 08:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Really ...

Quote:
It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)
Quote:
Is this the only time that a player will travel and will not be holding the ball?
Quote:
Also consider case 4.44.3 SIT A letter d. With the touch (note, not a hold/catch), there is a traveling violation. FYI -
Quote:
4.44.3 SITUATION A: A1 jumps to try for goal. B1 also jumps and touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and touches it first after it bounces. RULING: a violation for starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.
A1 is holding the ball when he lifts his pivot foot to start a dribble and thus travels. The touch just identifies this act as a dribble rather than a bounce pass.

Old Tue Dec 18, 2018, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 is holding the ball when he lifts his pivot foot to start a dribble and thus travels. The touch just identifies this act as a dribble rather than a bounce pass.
Agree. The travel happens when the ball is released to start a dribble with the pivot foot lifted. The subsequent touch merely confirms it was a dribble.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2018, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Although not arguing but rather just sayin'.... Suppose in the case play, A1 releases the ball, it hits the floor, and bounces for 30 seconds until coming to a rest, at which point, A1 is the first to touch the ball. This would be called traveling and based on your rational, the violation will have occurred well in the past. Can you think of any other type of play whereby an offense is guilty of an offense well in the past and not when it actually occurs? (maybe there is one but I cannot think of any)

Also, A1, while in the air, receives/catches a pass from A2. While still in the air, A1 drops the ball to the floor. Can A1 touch it? Grab it? Other? Legal?
Old Wed Dec 19, 2018, 02:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Back To The Future (1985) ...

Quote:
... in the case play, A1 releases the ball, it hits the floor, and bounces for 30 seconds until coming to a rest, at which point, A1 is the first to touch the ball. This would be called traveling and based on your rational, the violation will have occurred well in the past. Can you think of any other type of play whereby an offense is guilty of an offense well in the past and not when it actually occurs?
Do such plays involve a flux capacitor?

Quote:
A1, while in the air, receives/catches a pass from A2. While still in the air, A1 drops the ball to the floor. Can A1 touch it? Grab it? Other? Legal?
Touch it? Keep dribbling? Grab it without dribbling again? Grab it and pass? Grab it and shoot? Grab it, or dribble it, and request a timeout? Grab it and chew gum?

All legal.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 19, 2018 at 10:39am.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2018, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Touch it? Keep dribbling? Grab it without dribbling again? Grab it and pass? Grab it and shoot? Grab it, or dribble it, and request a timeout? Grab it and chew gum?

All legal.
Exactly, as this is the start of a dribble, all done without the presence of a pivot foot. Although, the ball could not be grabbed/held and dribbled again.

One could get into a very convoluted network of semantics, interpretations, contradictions, and deletions when discussing the actual adjudication/mechanics of 4.44.3 SIT A letter d, 4.15.1 SIT C, and 4.15 comment, as well as the somewhat contradictory phrases surrounding a dribble, traveling, etc.

A1 grabs a defensive rebound with two hands and , while still in the air, taps the opponent's backboard with the ball. A1 lands and begins dribbling. Legal? Yes, as holding the ball while touching the opponent's backboard is not considered to be a dribble just as holding the ball and touching the floor is not. Now, A1 grabs a defensive rebound and, while in the air, throws the ball gently off the opponent's backboard. A1 lands, grabs the ball, and begins dribbling. Are you going to call an illegal dribbling violation? Yes.

What does all this mean? Not a lot.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2018, 12:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Rogue Elephant Tried To Shell Him (1997) ...

Quote:
What does all this mean? Not a lot.
Made me chuckle. Thanks.