The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 08, 2018, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Pre Season Training

Most of us if not all have preseason routines that we follow such as going to the gym, increasing time in the rule book, tape breakdown to name a few. I wanted to see what everyone's preseason routines are as it might help others get better before the season.

Here is mine:

1. Getting to the gym more frequently
2. Being in the rule book often as well
3. Tape breakdown, not just of correct calls and incorrect calls but if possible looking at positioning, body language, and facial expressions when a call is made
4. Spending time with my significant other as much as I can. Since if it was for her dedication during the season to put up with my hectic schedule it would be difficult.

What are yours?
Old Mon Oct 08, 2018, 10:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Best Seller List ...

Add "get into the casebook" to the list.

I'll use the casebook during the season to get answers to specific perplexing questions, but I don't have the inclination or patience to read the entire casebook from front to back during the season, so I make sure to put the casebook on my preseason best seller list.

Also, get your calendars organized. Be sure your availability calendar (Arbiter, etc.) matches your business, personal, and social calendar, and make sure that all your association meeting dates are on your calendar. A few years ago we had a good official forget about the first meeting of the year (our new rules meeting, if you can't make our local new rules meeting you can attend another local board's new rules meeting), the most important meeting of the season because if you don't attend you don't work that entire season. He didn't attend any of the new rules meetings and he didn't work a single interscholastic game that season. Ouch.

And get a flu shot. I'm getting mine next week. I hate needles. I'm a big baby.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 09, 2018 at 11:16am.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2018, 10:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

I work football during the fall, so I am usually working every week and many Saturdays for college. Being a deep wing gets you in a lot of shapes during that time for basketball. And football is honestly can be harder on your body than basketball, considering you are doing 3-hour games in heat and conditions. I do other things to get my body ready, but football really works me out most of the fall.

The other part is I go to meetings and start getting in the book. I teach a basketball class which gets me in my rulebook a ton because I have to create content and makes sure I am accurate on what I am speaking on. Then usually I give 2 or 3 presentations which also gets me in the book heavily. Take some tests for the college level as well and go to meetings for pre-season starting in September, so I have been literally thinking about basketball rules months before the season. Even the summer gets you ready as you have to explore all the new rules and applications as well.

Finally, I am heavily watching videos and created video plays for both my website and presentations. It is something I do year-round. That alone gets me thinking of plays and situations and compare them to all things I do when the season starts.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 09, 2018, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Those are all great things to prepare yourself for the season. Thanks for sharing.